Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 20:23   #16

Boat: O'Day 25
Re: 30 foot sailboats that small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
So two people can watch TV together without taking turns with the best place to watch the TV, decent size sleeping area, a place to hang clothes, place for decent anchor chain storage, GREATER POTABLE WATER CAPACITY, tool storage, adequate places for solar panels and many many other things
ah, space for TV and many many things.

I think the op was referring to living space. chain and tool storage isn't that much in any boat. watermaker eliminates tankage and weight. solar panels usually go on the outside of the boat. for a sailboat, panels work better on an arch. no impact on the interior.

buy a motorhome with popouts if you need space for your things.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:32   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Tartans can be small for their size. Check out the Island Packet 27, nice cockpit, very beamy interior, my 6'2 boyfriend( at the time) could sleep in the vberth rather comfy. For more modern try beneteaus. Have you thought about a cat or tri?
Erika
There's the Nonsuch. its layout is a little unusual, but plenty of headroom, sails well. Interesting one-sail boat (BIG sail -- the 30' has a 540 sq sail.)
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
thanks for all the quick responses everyone! How old was the Catalina 30 that had the larger interior?

I wanted to get an old 30 foot boat as my starter boat, but even the cockpit was unusable with the steering wheel in the way. I had to climb on seats just to get back and forth.

I've been a long time lurker and understand that the newer production boats are great for comfort, but are more suitable for costal cruising and island hopping, while some of the older boats are built withstand ocean crossings, and as such, can be a bit tighter below decks. I also understand that tightness may be desirable when crossing an ocean as it easier to hold onto stuff when heeled over or getting tossed in waves. However, since I'm so new to sailing, I don't see me crossing oceans anytime soon, so not sure i need anything capable of bluewater sailing.

I just wanted a smaller, older boat so i could learn on something and single-hand it. But if what I saw today is how they're going to be, I need to know if older 33's are just as small. If so, i might just have to reset expectations and get a much newer boat.
I have seen old C&C boats(27s 29s 30s) that I thought were BIG compared to mine(32 ft)..they sure do "kick in the stall"when tied up to a dock tho ,they always seem to be moving...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:51   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Gatos View Post
what do you need room for? it's not like you'll be rollerskating while underway. enough room to sit, lie, hang on and not get thrown.
someone(boat designer) once said "theres nothing that you cant do on your knees that you can do on your feet"(something like that).. I believe it was Alberg..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:56   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have seen old C&C boats(27s 29s 30s) that I thought were BIG compared to mine(32 ft)..they sure do "kick in the stall"when tied up to a dock tho ,they always seem to be moving...

My boat does that -- but that's one of the things I love about it.
Old 11-07-2013, 20:57   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
someone(boat designer) once said "theres nothing that you cant do on your knees that you can do on your feet"(something like that).. I believe it was Alberg..

yeah, but having had a boat I can't stand up in and one I can, being able to stand up is better.
Old 11-07-2013, 21:00   #22

Boat: Allures 44

I'll second the Nonsuch 30 if you're set on a 30 ft boat , especially if you're a new sailor doing local and coastal cruising. Alternatively, realize that overall length is often not the best way to measure a boat.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:28   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The roomiest 30 I've ever seen is the Newport 30. Try one on for size if you can find one. You don't need a wheel on a 30. The pedestal and wheel gets in the way a lot.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Although I am guessing that you are in the US, and this suggestion of no great use to you as AFAIK only a couple over (or at least were) - but could do worse than a Seadog 30.

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.co...Seadogs/Review

Nothing perfect of course.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53   #25

If your not a purist, check out some of the older catamarans:
- Catalac
- Gemini
- Prout

They are fairly reasonable price and lots of living space.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53   #26

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I very highly recommend a Maxi 95. Some friends of mine own one and cruise full-time in it. 9.5 metres or 31 feet overall. Very well-designed and built. Superbly laid-out down below. It feels like a 36-foot boat. Sails beautifully as well.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

I think small (30') cats offer good space but not always good height. I found Catalac and Prout to low inside (the bridgedeck). And spending time in the coffins, errr... hulls! ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:24   #28

Endeavor 30 cats are another good option in that size range.

Barnakiel: Some of the prouts are more traditional sailboat-ish. But the others tend to be much more open and airy compared to mono's. I think where people get confused is you don't need 6'6" over the dinet because you never stand there.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36   #29

Quote:
I'm 6 feet, 225 lbs, and looked at a 1984 30' Tartan 3000 today. The cabin was the size of a dollhouse and everything was miniature. Are the more modern 30-footers the same size inside, as I don't think I could do this if they are. I read modern sailboats are bigger? Do older 33' and above get much bigger inside?
Modern sailboats are bigger. They tend to be wider, and carry that width further aft. The bigger width aft tends to lead to bigger cockpits, and later boats tend to have cutouts to get around the wheel.

However, in terms of value for money, you could get an older 35ft boat and still have change vs. buying a newer 30.

My Bristol 31.1 has 6ft 5 headroom in the main salon and the V berth is the same length.

One of my favourite interiors, though, is the Ericson 35-3. Nice if you can find a good one.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:43   #30

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

Quote:
I'm 6 feet, 225 lbs, and looked at a 1984 30' Tartan 3000 today. The cabin was the size of a dollhouse and everything was miniature. Are the more modern 30-footers the same size inside, as I don't think I could do this if they are. I read modern sailboats are bigger? Do older 33' and above get much bigger inside?
I fell in love with a Bristol 36 that is on the lake where I sail. I met the owner one day and he invited me aboard. I was shocked at how small it was. I am 6 feet tall also and while I had enough head room to move about, we had to turn sideways to pass one another in the cabin. I would go crazy dealing with those spaces. My next boat will have:
1. Stand up head room throughout
2. Air conditioning
3. Enough space to extend my arms and "helicopter" without hitting anything.

rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote