Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 15:48   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
30 foot sailboats that small?

I'm 6 feet, 225 lbs, and looked at a 1984 30' Tartan 3000 today. The cabin was the size of a dollhouse and everything was miniature. Are the more modern 30-footers the same size inside, as I don't think I could do this if they are. I read modern sailboats are bigger? Do older 33' and above get much bigger inside?
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:59   #2

Re: 30 foot sailboats that small?

Really depends on the boat. More modern designs are generally roomier due to width, but older ufll keel cruisers often have more headroom as the hull is deep rather than flat-ish bottom. Many newer bots are like a canoe on the bottom... flat. The older ones look like whales!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:01   #3

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

My Ranger 28 (1978) is about 6'2" in the main cabin area but that diminishes as you go up into the forward v-berth. Not sure about newer models as these went out of production about that time.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:04   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

i humbly suggest you cut 6" out of your shins
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:37   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

if you had been here long enough you would know not to question how great a smaller older boat is : whistling:

not!
Old 11-07-2013, 16:49   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
if you had been here long enough you would know not to question how great a smaller older boat is : whistling:

not!
Uncle Don is right .............kinda. If you want a living room like at home maybe you should get a newer boat. (or a Catalina 30) If you want a sailboat that can handle most weather thrown at it and is seaworthy, one of those small interior old boats would get the job done.

I was on a Catalina 30 the other day. I was HUGE. You can find them anywhere and everywhere. Check out one if you get the chance. I think you will be pleased.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

We lived aboard a Catalina 30 for several years and found it quite comfy at the dock. I solo cruised it for about 3 months along the northern Gulf Coast.
Although there is ample 'people space' there was not too much cargo space for food and supplies. I used the V-berth for storage and did just fine. Like most modern wide-bodies, they dont do rough seas very well. While safe, the ride was very rough. The narrow boats cut through the waves while the wide-bodies tend to rise with the wave and then fall quickly when the wave washes out below you. Overall, I loved my Catalina 30.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:14   #8

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

thanks for all the quick responses everyone! How old was the Catalina 30 that had the larger interior?

I wanted to get an old 30 foot boat as my starter boat, but even the cockpit was unusable with the steering wheel in the way. I had to climb on seats just to get back and forth.

I've been a long time lurker and understand that the newer production boats are great for comfort, but are more suitable for costal cruising and island hopping, while some of the older boats are built withstand ocean crossings, and as such, can be a bit tighter below decks. I also understand that tightness may be desirable when crossing an ocean as it easier to hold onto stuff when heeled over or getting tossed in waves. However, since I'm so new to sailing, I don't see me crossing oceans anytime soon, so not sure i need anything capable of bluewater sailing.

I just wanted a smaller, older boat so i could learn on something and single-hand it. But if what I saw today is how they're going to be, I need to know if older 33's are just as small. If so, i might just have to reset expectations and get a much newer boat.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:22   #9

Boat: O'Day 25

what do you need room for? it's not like you'll be rollerskating while underway. enough room to sit, lie, hang on and not get thrown.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:26   #10

The Catalina 30 interior layout hasn't changed, basically, in the past like 30 years! The new Catalina 309 uses pretty much the same layout.

The earlier C30s came with tillers. The later ones with wheels and T shaped cockpits. Some tiller owners converted to wheels with the old straight cockpit seats, which many also relocated the engine control panels to the coaming (a pretty expensive change overall).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:27   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
thanks for all the quick responses everyone! How old was the Catalina 30 that had the larger interior?

I wanted to get an old 30 foot boat as my starter boat, but even the cockpit was unusable with the steering wheel in the way. I had to climb on seats just to get back and forth.

I've been a long time lurker and understand that the newer production boats are great for comfort, but are more suitable for costal cruising and island hopping, while some of the older boats are built withstand ocean crossings, and as such, can be a bit tighter below decks. I also understand that tightness may be desirable when crossing an ocean as it easier to hold onto stuff when heeled over or getting tossed in waves. However, since I'm so new to sailing, I don't see me crossing oceans anytime soon, so not sure i need anything capable of bluewater sailing.

I just wanted a smaller, older boat so i could learn on something and single-hand it. But if what I saw today is how they're going to be, I need to know if older 33's are just as small. If so, i might just have to reset expectations and get a much newer boat.

Each boat is going to be different. You can't just look for an "older" boat or a 33' ft boat. Just depends on the boat.

My boat had a huge wheel also. In theory, that would give you more power for steering, but the truth is that the wheel had a feather touch. I traded wheels with a friend who had a bigger boat but smaller wheel. Now I can get from behind the wheel in a hurry without climbing on the benches.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 19:07   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Tartans can be small for their size. Check out the Island Packet 27, nice cockpit, very beamy interior, my 6'2 boyfriend( at the time) could sleep in the vberth rather comfy. For more modern try beneteaus. Have you thought about a cat or tri?
Erika
Old 11-07-2013, 19:31   #13

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Gatos View Post
what do you need room for?

So two people can watch TV together without taking turns with the best place to watch the TV, decent size sleeping area, a place to hang clothes, place for decent anchor chain storage, GREATER POTABLE WATER CAPACITY, tool storage, adequate places for solar panels and many many other things
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 19:31   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Modern boats tend to be more voluminous inside.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:13   #15

Boat: Pearson 31-2

I'm 6'3" and our Pearson 31-2 (1987) was partially chosen as that is about the smallest boat I could stand up AND lay down in. Long berths can be hard to find.

The "European" interiors of modern boats are roomier - especially in the stern and salon. Beamy and carried much further back than the 70's and 80's era. IOR and CCR measurement methods have dictated what the designers try to get away with over the years and cruising boats follow along.
Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote