Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 10:51   #16

Re: 40’ ketch, impossible to find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Contact
Captain John Virginio, (207) 671-0677 or email John@fcmyachts.com. I have hired him before. He is honest and fair. Tell him Leon recommended him.
I will, thank you!
Tcozelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:53   #17

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcozelos View Post
I’ve tried several insurance brokers. Given our lack of experience, insurance has become a dismal search. Any referrals?

Progressive.... Flo will insure anyone...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:53   #18

The questions regarding wanting a ketch: I like the idea of having two masts in case I lose one or is that being ridiculous?
Tcozelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:10   #19

It's not being ridiculous, but it does indicate that you yet have something to learn. But fear not - we are here to help you do that :-)!

So start with this: If you lose a mast, you imply cannot continue to sail on the remaining one!

This is where you ask: "Why not?"

Then, if you are asking sincerely, we can get you going on a fascinating study of why boats are designed the way they are, and what makes boats work the way they do.

Up-thread someone asked "why a ketch?" and suggested you may have picked up the notion from a magazine. Indeed, as others have said, there really is no justification for the ketch rig these days, other than romanticism. If you want a ketch for that reason, that's just fine - as long as you are clear-eyed about that BEING the reason. For someone with no experience a sloop or a cutter will almost always be a better choice.

All the best :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:11   #20

Boat: Moody 376

with a ketch, I heard the reason for a ketch was to maintain sail area by adding the mizzen and lowering the height of the main mast. which gives you smaller much easier to handle main and jibs and a better balanced rig. which would lower your air draft to better make under lower bridges.

I would think that if you main mast comes down, you mizzen is possible a goner as well. as some mizzens are supported by a stay running from the top of the main to t the top of the mizzen.

down side, is you now have much twice as much rigging to deal with...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:12   #21

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
The questions regarding wanting a ketch: I like the idea of having two masts in case I lose one or is that being ridiculous?
Unless your ketch of choice isn't rigged with a Triatic stay, loosing the main mast will likely take the mizzen with it as the falling main mast is much heavier than the mizzen mast. If it doesn't take down the mizzen its likely that the triatic will cause damage to the masthead of the mizzen.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:26   #22
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Is it possible to find a 38’ to 40’ ketch, and if so what would you recommend? I’m new to sailing and evidently insurance for a sailboat over 40’ is difficult to find, so options are limited at best I fear. The closest ones that I have been able to find listed for sale are 41’. Might be too general of a post, I apologize if that is the case.
Unless you are buying/ordering a truly NEW boat the only options open to you are building your own or buying USED from what is available on the market. So, define your boat requirements loosely because there are always tradeoffs.

Spend lots of time looking at what is available to see what money will buy and the condition they are in. Over time you will gain a sense of how your dream boat and reality mesh and you will be prepared to pounce upon THE ONE when it shows up.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:32   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

First bout, a ketch?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 12:20   #24

Boat: Nonsuch Nereus 40'

Quote:
I’ve tried several insurance brokers. Given our lack of experience, insurance has become a dismal search. Any referrals?

I got my 40' ketch about this time last year. I went through Power Squadron for my insurance, underwritten by Progressive.

Brian
SV Serenity
Nonsuch Nereus #003
Pax River, MD
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 12:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I loved my Pearson 365 ketch. Only 36.5 feet so may does not meet your criteria, but a boat you may want to look at anyway. Big enough for a couple to live on. Built like the proverbial brick ::::house. Strong, capable boat.
Concur. The 365 was designed for cruising and for extended time abroad. A close friend had one in Mexico and it was ideal for long distance cruising. The ketch rig will give you many sail options and the sail size is manageable for a short handed crew.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:22   #26

Boat: Mariner 19 & Laser

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ketch-3666598/

Yachtworld has filters;
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for.../?length=35-45

Good luck!
OutlanderEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:26   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 375

One interesting feature of the 365 was the separate shower stall. Of course these boats are getting pretty old by now and will almost certainly need some kind of work.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:41   #28

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Yes, experience may likely be a limitation for cruising insurance. Some have success with the same company their home is insured with.

We had great luck with IMIS [now Gowrie Group] Jackline Policy. They specialize in cruising insurance [and was founded by a cruiser; the late Al Golden.]

The insurance page on our blog has some additional information you may be interested in.

Best wishes sorting it all out.

Cheers! Bill
Old 16-04-2021, 16:47   #29

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
I’m located in the U.S. Planing to sail the gulf, Caribbean, and eventually crossing the Atlantic. My husband has about 4 yrs experience 30yrs or so ago, so not sure if that counts at this late date. Would like to be able to live aboard part time while working/upgrading her as well. Living aboard is main reason looking for 38’ - 40’ range.
Live aboard jumps out at me here. If you want something more comfortable, I'd consider a Beneteau. While this would not be my choice for rounding the horns, they are designed with cabin comfort in mind and for what you're describing would be just fine sea worthy wise. A ketch will have two masts which gets pretty busy on a less than 40' boat with the extra mast and all the additional standing rigging. Ketches will also carve up the interior as the masts need to be keel mounted or deck stepped with a compression post below (which is often part of a bulkhead) You'd be better off with a comfortable sloop rig with stay sail (if you can find it) making it a cutter. I can't think of any manufacturers that make a ketch anymore - Amel was the last but they now seem to be more cutter oriented. But you don't need an Amel for cruising the Caribbean or crossing to Europe via the southern route.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 17:31   #30

Boat: Columbia 50

Look for a Pearson 424 - fantastic layout, roomy cockpit, and a ketch

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch