Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2021, 03:30   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 40 year old sailboat with good survey, vs 20 year old sailboat with good survey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
??? I just don't get it. It looks like he devoted more care to the mounting of the bejeweled horseshoe (upper left of the lower picture) than to the mounting of the electronics. This jumble of equipment and wires cannot be stable or safe. Yes, I know, he sailed far. But bad practice and good luck is not as good as good practice and good luck.
This looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
My solar is hooked up kinda like that. I have 4 panel panels with different type wires coming from each one then to a different controller or directly to the batteries. It's all laying in one of my lazarette lockers except the panels which are tied on.

The good thing is that I hooked it up so if there is a problem I can usually troubleshoot it really fast.

Same as he can with his setup that looks like a mess to you is a straight forward setup to him.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 22:07   #62

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: 40 year old sailboat with good survey, vs 20 year old sailboat with good survey?

Brand new here.
Something to research, but I "think" I remember some ads in magazines from the '70s, in which the "Tillotson-Pearson" company, for an additional fee, would lay-up your hull using epoxy.
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 22:51   #63

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
I will start with apologizing for my previous curt reply but really your question was nonsense.

40 Years ago the only boats being manufactured to a standard specification were trailer boats. Yachts were chosen by design but the construction was determined by the buyers requirements and budget. Consequently looking to a brand or manufacturer for a specific build type doesn't make any sense. Even two steel hulls from the same builder could have different characteristics.
40yr ago there were plenty of sailboat manufacturers that pushed out cookie cutter boats, generally in comparatively small lots, but they were mostly identical.

Going back to the question of Vinyl Ester Resin being an epoxy, it is not an epoxy, it was derived from epoxy according to Wikipedia but it differs from true epoxies in 2 very significant ways:
A. It does not have the epoxide 3 atom ring that technically characterize all epoxies.
B. It is catalyzed by very small doses (0.5-3.0%) of MEKP like polyester, not mixed with a hardener agent that generally constitutes a significant percentage of final mass or volume (20-50%).
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:09   #64

Boat: Bristol 38.8

For what it’s worth, when we upgraded from our 1982 Show 30 (Barberis) to our 1982 Bristol 38.8 we had the funds to buy a wide range of younger boats. Our 38.8 Hull #6 was in good shape, pretty well taken care of with a excellent build reputation.
The survey showed no issues with build, it was reported in 1995 and the standing rigging, Chain plates and port lights all refit 2 years prior to our acquisition (we purchased in fall of 2017).
We have since replace the Genoa, replaced all copper plumbing with PEX and upgraded electrics to LifePo4 and associated chargers inverter and solar, we also replaced old Grunert fleeced with Cool blue. IMO, if you find a boat you
Like; aesthetics, sea kindly, or price- and the Hull and decks are solid and clean, go for it. All the components will need upgrading or repair eventually- some can be put off, some are critical for safety. Just allow enough in the kitty to make the buy and support the maintenance. We love our 39 year old boat, and really haven’t seen many others within (our) price range we ‘upgrade’ for…… although, if anyone knows of a early 2000’s HR 45-56’ for sale in the 150k range- let me know.
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, survey, sail, boat