Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2023, 08:35   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: 42' Spencer - possible livaboard/project boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Looking back now, it is crazy to see how far this boat and I have come since then, did so much work to her making her into what she is today.

I have to hand it to everyone who gave me the information here, she turned out to be a great boat, an incredible sailing machine that is sure footed and fast.

Since I started this thread all that time ago, I have had the occasion to sail on many other boats, and none that I have loved so much as this Spencer.

She is truly amazing and extremely well built. We just did a 3 year refit in Port Townsend, and are preparing to take off for Alaska in the spring.

It has been one heck of a ride getting here with COVID and supply chain issues, but I am so happy to have her all together.
Looking good there nick .
Old 17-01-2023, 08:46   #77

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Looking good there nick .

BTW, after completing the bottom job from hell and getting her all slicked up again, if I want to push her with the motor she will now cruise at 7-7.3. Although I generally hold it back a bit and keep the Rpm's at around 2000-2100 which gives me 6-6.2 and burns just a touch less than half a gallon an hour.
Old 17-01-2023, 09:05   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
BTW, after completing the bottom job from hell and getting her all slicked up again, if I want to push her with the motor she will now cruise at 7-7.3. Although I generally hold it back a bit and keep the Rpm's at around 2000-2100 which gives me 6-6.2 and burns just a touch less than half a gallon an hour.
6 is plenty fast and tells you you have power available if needed .
Old 18-01-2023, 18:26   #79

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Good work, Nick! Let's see more photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 18:50   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Good work, Nick! Let's see more photos!
Thank you!

I actually have the whole build documented on YouTube, working on getting the videos edited and put out right now.

http://www.youtube.com/RenegadeADV

Hoping to have some new ones out in the next few weeks, I have about 30 in the can filmed that just need to be edited and uploaded. During all the COVID craziness I had 9 people close to me die for different things including my girlfriend, so it was kinda tough and I fell off from getting things done because of that.

Glad to be on the other side of it and moving forward again, it feels good.

Oh, and I have also been doing a bunch of boat Photography which is on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/renegadeadv/
Old 23-02-2023, 13:33   #81

Boat: Spencer, Ketch, 53'

Are you still going to Alaska ?
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 21:17   #82

I have successfully sailed to Alaska!

Took this Panorama last night of Creek Street.

From Bremerton to Ketchikan the route I took was exactly 777 NM, Departed April 14th, arrived June 6th.

It was a good trip, boat performed flawlessly, all of the mods I have done to her have worked out incredibly well, the ole Spencer 42 is showing me what a wonderful boat she truly is.

The dinghy has been really my only source of pain, it is a 10' Livingston that does not fit well on deck, certainly does not leave ample room for working sails on the foredeck, and it doesn't like to tow in a straight line.

I think getting back south I am going to have to look into finally building that Spindrift 11n I have the plans for it already.

Feels good to be getting out and spreading my legs and putting some hard miles under her keel after all that time spent refitting her.

The only other huge complaint I have right now is that relying on the hot spot on my phone that works flawlessly in the lower 48 hasn't been worth a damn up here and through much of Canada I couldn't even get on many different websites, watching any kind of video was out of the question.

Looking like ponying up the 2500 bucks for star link is going to be a thing.

Overall, I am incredibly happy as this trip is one I have dreamed about my whole life and I have finally made it!

On a final note, the man I bought the boat from and I became good friends, he was a WWII Veteran who sadly died in 2019.

On his death bed I promised him I would take this boat to Alaska as it was the one piece of unfinished business he had in his life. This is the number board from the boat when he owned it and his pocket knife he carried for years with him.

It was somewhat fitting that we arrived in Ketchikan on the anniversary of D-day considering that for D-day he found himself in the back of a B-17 working the radios and a Browning Machine Gun.

Rest in Peace Bud, you were a good man and you helped make this dream possible. Most of all you were one of the better friends I have known.
Old 07-06-2023, 22:52   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I have successfully sailed to Alaska!

Took this Panorama last night of Creek Street.

From Bremerton to Ketchikan the route I took was exactly 777 NM, Departed April 14th, arrived June 6th.

It was a good trip, boat performed flawlessly, all of the mods I have done to her have worked out incredibly well, the ole Spencer 42 is showing me what a wonderful boat she truly is.

The dinghy has been really my only source of pain, it is a 10' Livingston that does not fit well on deck, certainly does not leave ample room for working sails on the foredeck, and it doesn't like to tow in a straight line.

I think getting back south I am going to have to look into finally building that Spindrift 11n I have the plans for it already.

Feels good to be getting out and spreading my legs and putting some hard miles under her keel after all that time spent refitting her.

The only other huge complaint I have right now is that relying on the hot spot on my phone that works flawlessly in the lower 48 hasn't been worth a damn up here and through much of Canada I couldn't even get on many different websites, watching any kind of video was out of the question.

Looking like ponying up the 2500 bucks for star link is going to be a thing.

Overall, I am incredibly happy as this trip is one I have dreamed about my whole life and I have finally made it!

On a final note, the man I bought the boat from and I became good friends, he was a WWII Veteran who sadly died in 2019.

On his death bed I promised him I would take this boat to Alaska as it was the one piece of unfinished business he had in his life. This is the number board from the boat when he owned it and his pocket knife he carried for years with him.

It was somewhat fitting that we arrived in Ketchikan on the anniversary of D-day considering that for D-day he found himself in the back of a B-17 working the radios and a Browning Machine Gun.

Rest in Peace Bud, you were a good man and you helped make this dream possible. Most of all you were one of the better friends I have known.
Thank you for dad he is happy now with mom
Old 26-06-2023, 13:50   #84

Boat: Allied 42 XL2

JPA Cate -

I have a 1/4' layer of Safe Floor on my boat. Great stuff. The applicator was from Dickinson, Texas, and came to the boat to apply the stuff. All the crazing and worn spots on the deck are sealed and hidden.
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 14:36   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
JPA Cate -

I have a 1/4' layer of Safe Floor on my boat. Great stuff. The applicator was from Dickinson, Texas, and came to the boat to apply the stuff. All the crazing and worn spots on the deck are sealed and hidden.

Nice! I had not heard of that brand.

Been something I have been thinking quite a bit about.
Old 27-06-2023, 13:33   #86

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I missed your post from a couple weeks ago. Congratulations! Fantastic trip! Where to next?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 13:56   #87

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
I missed your post from a couple weeks ago. Congratulations! Fantastic trip! Where to next?

Looking for crew to take the boat south. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...co-276796.html
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 14:03   #88

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Renegde,
We had a Spindrift 10' nester and it rowed/stowed/towed well. If you make the 11, would suggest to modify the plans slightly to add ~3" more free board. This makes it a little safer if you have more than 2 adults in the boat.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 00:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Renegde,
We had a Spindrift 10' nester and it rowed/stowed/towed well. If you make the 11, would suggest to modify the plans slightly to add ~3" more free board. This makes it a little safer if you have more than 2 adults in the boat.

I have heard the same from others, I think that is solid advice. I need to figure out where I am going to build it, and been playing with options like building it all composite using nidacore or foam core.

Will have to see. Probably gonna be a project for when I am in Mexico this winter.
Old 28-06-2023, 00:46   #90

Quote:

Thank you!

The plan is to get down the Coast to Mexico, then either going to jump off for Clipperton, Tahiti, Fiji then work my way up to the Philippines and Thailand, or going to possibly sail further south and explore Colombia, Peru and Chile.

Not sure what is going to happen yet.

Part of that is I am wanting to update some rigging on the boat thinking I am going to upgrade to a Harken MK4 roller furler and a stackpak for the main, also considering re-rigging her so I can reef from the cockpit.

Lots to consider yet, but as she is right now she will make it down the coast no problem, but handing that giant head sail is getting old pretty quick.

When I get back to WA going to pick up a sailrite and make a better head sail bag which will help, but thinking about trying to stuff it in big seas has me thinking a lot about that furler.

Tags
enc, project