Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 05:12   #91

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: 42' Spencer - possible livaboard/project boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
I have heard the same from others, I think that is solid advice. I need to figure out where I am going to build it, and been playing with options like building it all composite using nidacore or foam core.

Will have to see. Probably gonna be a project for when I am in Mexico this winter.

If I were going to build another one, would go for a structural pvc foam. Inexpensive and strong once skinned over.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 09:14   #92

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Thank you!

The plan is to get down the Coast to Mexico, then either going to jump off for Clipperton, Tahiti, Fiji then work my way up to the Philippines and Thailand, or going to possibly sail further south and explore Colombia, Peru and Chile.

Not sure what is going to happen yet.

Part of that is I am wanting to update some rigging on the boat thinking I am going to upgrade to a Harken MK4 roller furler and a stackpak for the main, also considering re-rigging her so I can reef from the cockpit.

Lots to consider yet, but as she is right now she will make it down the coast no problem, but handing that giant head sail is getting old pretty quick.

When I get back to WA going to pick up a sailrite and make a better head sail bag which will help, but thinking about trying to stuff it in big seas has me thinking a lot about that furler.
I keep hearing good things about the Reef-Rite furler from down under, you may want to check that one out too. I was just reading a thread (can't recall which one now) about furler choices and the owner was glad to make that choice in spite of the extra shipping cost.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 09:37   #93

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
If I were going to build another one, would go for a structural pvc foam. Inexpensive and strong once skinned over.

That is a great thought. I am going to look into that.

Is Airex pvc?
Old 28-06-2023, 09:40   #94

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I keep hearing good things about the Reef-Rite furler from down under, you may want to check that one out too. I was just reading a thread (can't recall which one now) about furler choices and the owner was glad to make that choice in spite of the extra shipping cost.

I will have to take a look at it, but probably going to go with the Harken as I have spent so much money on the Fisheries account I am on doing this refit it knocked us down several price brackets, and I can buy it for almost $1000 off of the msrp.

That makes getting it quite a bit more attractive!

Tags
enc, project