Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 14:20   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
'87 O'Day or '86 Hunter

Which one would you buy? Both are 40 footers, equal in condition and equipment. It will used primarily for Coastal Cruising in the northeast between Newport and the Chesapeake Bay area.

Thanks!
bad1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 05:25   #2

Re: '87 O'Day or '86 Hunter

I have an O'Day and have sailed on Hunters.I am not terribly familiar with '80s Hunters. I can say that despite the Hunter-bashing that goes on by people that don't like the coastal camper style they have I thought the Hunters were well built for coastal cruising and sailed well. O'Days especially the larger ones have really well built hulls. Very reliable and have stood the test of time. They sail really nicely. For my money they have a nice look to them even now. The issue with O'Days of that vintage is in many cases everything above the hull is likely to have been replaced by a previously owner, so what you are really evaluating is all that stuff, which has nothing to do with whether it is an O'Day or not.

I think you can do very well with either, and spend less money and get a better boat than on some of the perhaps more fashionable 1980s brand names. As long as you are using it as designed, for coastal cruising or to the bahamas. These things aint crossing oceans. Just get a good survey, don't fall in love with a particular boat for sale, and don't overpay.

I would buy my boat again in a heartbeat. If I was buying newer I would get a Catalina.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 05:54   #3

Re: '87 O'Day or '86 Hunter

I've sailed on Hunters and O'Days from that era, and I would say they are comparable boats, and excellent coastal cruisers. Both will have roughly the same age issues. I've always thought most O'Days had nicer lines than the Hunter, but I have nothing against Hunters from that era as most are priced very reasonably for what you get.

You're not getting a Hinkley, but you're not paying a Hinkley price, either.

Tags
hunter