Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 18:49   #1

Boat: Delphia 37
9hp inboard diesel for a 28ft mono- too small?

Any thoughts on a 9hp Yamnar inboard diesel for a 28' Hunter 1996?

Intended usage is a fresh water lake (Lake Pepin MN) and then possibly, very possibly, for Lake Superior.

9hp just seems small, way small. I've eaten cans of beans bigger than that motor! Seems this model came with either a 9hp or a 18hp Yamnar. For anything salt water or Lake Superior for that matter I'd say 9hp would be too little but is it good enough for plan old lake sailing?

Seems most other models of this make/year have the 18hp motor. Not a good vibe there, the boat seems to be the right size in the right place for the most part of what I *think* I'm looking for (think=changes daily!)

Thanks!
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 18:54   #2

I don't have a problem with a 1GM10 in a 28' boat.
Seems most Americans need the Tim Taylor method of power.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 19:01   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Yeah..For lake sailing that little 9HP may be just what ya need. I am sure there is plenty of torque and at least 4 knots to be had.

For crossing the Panama Canal or the North Atlantic in a good gale, ya may need more power.

(I know: The purists will say that ya can cross the pond with no power at all, beacuse the Vikings did and so did C.C and his followers, etc...If it was up to me however, I would not go offshore with a little alarm-clock motor in my boat. Bring lots of power to keep bow into wind and lots of fuel to keep going..)
Old 05-05-2008, 19:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would say Lake Pepin could be just fine with the proposed 9 hp. You are not going to reinvent water skiing. They already did that there too many years ago. You clearly are not going to load up the boat with 5 months of provisions either. If there isn't any wind you sure won't be sailing. Coming upstream from Wabasha might be a problem in the spring. Everything has limitations but what are yours? Maximizing the whole Lake Pepin thing is more about the nice days sailing and you need the motor to get in and out of the marina. That's the limit. For Lake Pepin I think it could be just a great boat with lots of nice sailing. The scenery does not get much better any place. FWIW, I wouldn't go offshore in a 28 ft Hunter no matter what engine it had in it. Don't try to make this boat something it's not.

Lake Superior would be another story. For Lake Superior I would prefer about 5 more feet of waterline, a few more horses, and a dry suit.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 19:52   #5

Boat: Delphia 37
Thanks for the input and confirming what I thought, would be ok for the location.

Buy the boat for the intented location and the intended use. Don't be suprised when things don't work out when using something as not intended (sailing around any Horn in a Hunter 280!!!)

I'm having a hard time picking a boat, par for the course I guess. Well, the hard part is picking only ONE I guess!

Fun day sails, an over night or two here and there- low maintance, low cost of ownership- first boat- might be a good fit.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 21:58   #6

I have 8in that size boat. If it is a "true 9 hp" with a well matched prop and clean bottom sure. If it is an ancient engine putting out half the rated HP through an inefficient folding prop .......you will get 2.9 knots in a dead calm and go backwards after that......how do you think I know ? !!
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:58   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I had a 10 Hp in a 28 ft Wanderer (medium to heavy displacement), wasn't ideal but quite good enough - cruised Australia from Perth to Melbourne via Darwin and Indonesisa - As others have said, a good prop and a Yamnar should be OK.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We have 10hp in our boat. If your motor and prop combination won't push you at hull speed you won't be happy.

Repropping was the best thing we did.

If given a choice I would get the 18.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23   #9

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
Any thoughts on a 9hp Yamnar inboard diesel for a 28' Hunter 1996?
My spreadsheet says 10.6hp is optimal at full displacement; however, it has a 10% fudge-factor built in so (being a minimalist) if it were me I'd probably be quite content with the 9hp, as versus the 18hp I also see in that model...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Marty:
I'm looking for information on the Surveyor that did the survey in Lake Pepin, and will advise details asap.
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel