Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 09:22   #1

Boat: Passport 40
A change in plans

Ok so as you get older and things change LOL

So I have gone from thinking about long term offshore sailing to coastal sailing with the possibility of offshore sailing in about 5 years. Originally we were going to get a Passport Vista 515 (used) but now that I am thinking that it will be used mostly weekends and in New England waters I am thinking in the 40-ish feet range and more coastal = less complex (less storage fees etc)

I have also had many changes to my health and though I am still in my late 40's my health is not well. A cancer scare, on top of rhumatoid arthritis of the spine (new) makes me want to push things up so I can enjoy some time afloat. Both hubby and I have weekends off so short trips and evening sails would fit the bill.

With the arthritis I need a more stable platform. And being a Morgan I need something that is going to last (we keep things until they need to be taken out to the back 40 and shot). I am looking used with an outside budget of $250,000.

As my search has completely changed from my previous and there is tons of info in this area I am having a hard time narrowing down. So far I am kind of liking the Shannon 43. It seems to have capabilities to local areas and the possibility to go off shore if needed. I am not sure how stable a platform it is. I sailed on a Morris 42 this summer and the things I didn't like about it was the pounding and with the self tacking jib it didn't have enough sail up front and so it constantly had weather helm. They should have reefed I guess but it was my husbands boss, you don't tell him what to do

As I also like passports the 40 seems like a good choice but I hear they are slow and if going for a weekend we would like to get where we are going before it is over....

It is just hubby and I for the most part... and the pup
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote