Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 13:39   #1
Ry.

Question A few questions...

I want to move aboard in a few years and had a few questions.
(in Grenada)

1) How often does the mast get struck by lighning? Is it dangerous to be on the top deck during storms?
2) What are some of the bad things of living on a boat. I don't have many needs and am okay in small spaces.
3) Can one person live off of $300 a month?
4) On a 30-35 ft boat, can you fit a kayak and a surf board on the top deck somewhere?

Thanks alot
Ry. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:17   #2

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: A few questions...

There is a long thread here on how some cruisers live on $500 per month and another at $5000 per month. I suggest you have a troll through them. Can you live on $300 per month? Undoubtedly yes, because many in third world countries do but they have no choice. In Australia I think the welfare payment for unemployed is closer to $900 per month so we don't have to. I've met a "cruiser" living on a mooring just off my local marina in an absoluetly derelict "yacht". I'm presuming he gets at least the welfare amount and doesn't look to be living it up to me. His yacht doesn't even have a mast so that reduces the lightening risk too. But, do you want to live like that? BTW, he appears to be a lonely old hermit, so it seems that on presumably $900 per month his lifestyle is not that which help him to create many friendships. Just my thoughts. So it seems that most of us would not choose to live on $500 per month and presumably, fewer would choose to live at $300 per month, but yes it would be possible.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:33   #3
cruiser

Question No 1:
once every 3.625 years
Part 2 of Question 1:
Yes. Any time there is a storm go below and lock yourself in the head and hang on.
Its cheaper than buying weather gear">foul weather gear.

Question No. 2
You will go thru life smelling like a combination of diesle fuel, mildew, bacon and holding tank

Question No. 3
Yes but you will have to give up the monthly pedicure.

Question No. 4
Yes, absolutlely in fact you can pile all of that stuff right on the stern pulpit. It's done all the time. It looks real salty and everyone will know you are an experienced cruiser.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:49   #4

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Question No 1:
once every 3.625 years
Part 2 of Question 1:
Yes. Any time there is a storm go below and lock yourself in the head and hang on.
Its cheaper than buying foul weather gear.

Question No. 2
You will go thru life smelling like a combination of diesle fuel, mildew, bacon and holding tank

Question No. 3

Question No. 4
Yes, absolutlely in fact you can pile all of that stuff right on the stern pulpit. It's done all the time. It looks real salty and everyone will know you are an experienced cruiser.
I was feeling a bit mopey with the current speed of the refit and needed a laugh. THANKS!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:59   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Question No 1:
once every 3.625 years
Part 2 of Question 1:
Its cheaper than buying foul weather gear.

Question No. 2

Question No. 3

Question No. 4
LMAO. Love it.
Old 23-04-2011, 06:53   #6

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Hot Dog! Bob you've given me the idea to make my first million. After Shave cologne that has essence of diesel fuel mildew bacon and holding tank!! Think of it! I'll call it Eau de Boat! Real men wear Eau de Boat. I bet it'll drive the women crazy! After I get my 175 foot yacht we'll go sailing wearing Eau de Boat!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote