Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-02-2007, 02:52   #16

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Well done Shawn. You may have a lot of work on your hands but at least you can see progress as you go. Get her in good enough condition to get afloat and spend some time enjoying the feel of sailing her too. It will break up the monotony of just working on her. Good luck with the project and of course we expect to see lots of photos as you progress

Cheers
David
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 06:19   #17

if the boat came with the trailer why not leave it on same. block up ttrailer to get wheels off ground, then block up boat to take pressure off hull. that is if you are tackling the interior first. this will give a really stable platform and if you block the boat right on the trialer you should be able to get rid of any hull deflection. once you are ready to tackle the exterior and or the center board you just block up the boat and pull the treiler out. i've done this many times with my/our wood Chris-Craft ski boats. if you want to ask me any questions regarding this let me know, and i'll give you my e-mail or phone#
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:37   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I am doing the same kind of project and am curious about this process could you explain it a little more.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 09:31   #19

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Well I do have to move the trailer out. It has got to return under the Grady White that crashed....see pictures. I plan on blocking her up and then just unbolting the trailer underneath and reassembling under the Grady. So what I take from your advice is to run two long heavy boards on port and starboard that run the length of the ship? Support these boards in 3 places: bow, mid-ship, and stern?
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:02   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexel Engineer
So what I take from your advice is to run two long heavy boards on port and starboard that run the length of the ship? Support these boards in 3 places: bow, mid-ship, and stern?
Yeah! Two of a 1" x 4" x 8' is plenty good. Put an old piece of carpet between the hull and boardand support at both ends and then the middle once it's in place. This will keep the shape of the hull while you have it in storage and working inside.

You may want to get it high enough to work on the under side.

This link will give you more info.

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/....cgi/read/4779

Here's another link..................................._/)

http://www.geocities.com/jongbloed97/raising_page.html
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 12:01   #21

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Drex
Keep in mind that you will have to deal with the centerboard.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 21:21   #22

Hi all, would like to introduce myself. I'm Devon, and I'm in on the restoration of this vessel. Looks like a great messageboard with a wealth of knowledge! We are most certainly excited about this project; any information is greatly appreciated.
Devon1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 22:32   #23

Hi Devon,

He'll need all the support he can muster up. If I were that age I could build a fleet with what I've experienced over the years.

Enjoy............................................_/)
Old 01-03-2007, 00:41   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
Hi Devon,

He'll need all the support he can muster up.

Apart from freinds "mucking in" Drexel will probably sometimes need an enthusiasm injection to keep the Project going.

I find beer works very well

And remember that it is a Sailing Boat, not a building project. Many things may be nice to have / to do, but remember to ask yourselves "is it really needed before hitting the water". Plenty of projects never make it to the water or away from the dock cos' eventually everyones enthusiasm runs out and / or priorities change - the best cure is using the boat.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 00:53   #25

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Yep, beer works real well
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:15   #26

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
And remember that it is a Sailing Boat, not a building project. Many things may be nice to have / to do, but remember to ask yourselves "is it really needed before hitting the water". Plenty of projects never make it to the water or away from the dock cos' eventually everyones enthusiasm runs out and / or priorities change - the best cure is using the boat.
Well said by David. Read it a few times and let it sink in. And then have a few cheap cold ones.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:15   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Bud Light???!!! Please do not lead the guys into bad habits

This "serving suggestion" is called......a Guinness with a Guinness chaser. (and a couple of spares ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 20:51   #28

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Weekend Update (Pictures)

Well everyone as I promised you I would document this entire operation meticulously. This weekend my 1st mate and I took her off the undersized trailer and put up on blocks. This time there was no crash...slow and steady won this race. Also, we cleaned out the interior. I will post the pictures of the cabin tomorrow evening. I had to pack it in this evening with the sunset. Anyhow things are looking good so far. I found a few goodies while cleaning the cabin out. One of which included about 15 12 ga. flares. Expired ten years ago! Ha Ha. Look like I will breaking out the 12 gauge tomorrow and have some fun. The interior looks a world better from the initial state. (See my first post) Will keep you updated. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, I found a lot of rotted wood. I will be replacing but I'd like to have nice stained and lacquered wood, not painted ply. What are you recommendations? What can I get for relatively cheap? Also, how do you secure wood to the fiberglass hull, epoxy?

Here are the pictures....

http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/blocks.jpg Up on her blocks.
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/corona.jpg You all posted your pictures of "other" beers...this is how we do things at Drexel. (with lime)
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/meonbow.jpg Posing on the bow.
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/messignaround.jpg I had to do my best to keep the help on task.
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/onbricks.jpg
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/rolloerremoval.jpg I noticed that these trailers are bolted togther. For get that "leap frogging" that everyone does for some reason. I took that rig apart. Then I'll reassemble underneath the pop's Grady.
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/drydock/sawandbeer.jpg Probably not the safest thing in the world.
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 21:27   #29

Way to go Drexel

She cleaned up real nice on the outside!

Boat trailers are bolted together for two reasons. 1) So the center of balance/tongue weight (10-15% GW) can be adjusted properly. 2) So one doesn't get any unexpected cracks in welds.

It's good that you have a lot of space to work. You'll find out half of the boat is going to end up on the ground around the boat.

As for the wood, you really want to use a marine ply!!!!! It's not that much more then weather proofed ply. It usually comes with a mahogany or teak outer skin. And attaching it to the hull is done with polyester resin and fiberglass. You can use epoxy too but it takes longer to cure. That's the way it should be in there now but quick Mexican job. After 1971 there were built by Mex's.
BTW when you do the inside keep it well ventilated. I heard of a few fires while trying to cure with heat lamps.

enjoy..................................._/)

Here's the fun I had.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2007, 22:27   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Stringers and Bulheads...

... is the traditional way of attaching internal furniture.
Attach the stringer to the hull and the bulkhead to the stringer.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote