Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2007, 19:31   #1

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
A new frontier for me...

Hello all,

I posted a thread a while ago asking for your advice on purchasing a "fixer upper". In the end, I got it. What a process it was just to move the heavy beast. I got her on the trailer simply with a few cement blocks and single beat up bottle jack, I had a couple of scary moment for sure. One would think as an engineer I'd have done it better. I now sit with it in my yard, and I will be creating a nice dry dock for it, no corner cutting.

With that said, I plan to fully document the entire restoration. Every little detail will be photographed and posted here on this thread. I plan on making all parts in AutoCAD that way there is some precision in the refit; I told you know more corner cutting. (See the attached picture of what happens when they don’t listen to the engineer’s advice) This will be quite an undertaking for just one college student. This is where I could use a whole heap of advice from you guys. You have been very helpful so far. In fact, this is where I got my inspiration. A member of this forum "doghouse" agreed to provide me with as much persimmon wood as I need to refit the boat so long as I prove to him the end uses of the wood. BANG! The idea hit me. Since I am a motivated with student with a lot of ambition with little money to back it up I need you help! Any hand me downs would be of great help. I mean anything. You have some strange bolt, a loose can of paint, an extra VHF (Please!) I could really use it. For your great generosity I will provide you a credit on the mast when she is done or you can send me a company banner if you have one and I'll fly it off the rear stay through the summer. Any other requests you have I can probably help you out. I hope my idea is not too far fetched. Help me if you can and if not just give me some advice. I CAN’T WAIT TO SET SAIL!

Looking forward to the challenge,
Shawn Racz

The boat is a 1974 Clipper Marine, swing keep as you can see.

Here are some pictures of the operation to date.

Some pics of the boat in sad shape in the owners yard
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/overhead.JPG
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/profile.JPG
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/salon.JPG
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/salon2.JPG
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/vberth.JPG

Here are some pictures of my crew who helped me. They wanted to rush, rush, rush with removing the powerboat from the trailer. You se what happened...beam failure.
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/beamfailure.jpg
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/thecrew.jpg

Celebrating finally getting it on the trailer and en-route back home.
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/Meontoppfboat.jpg

Flying my school colors...
http://h1.ripway.com/sdr352/nightbow.JPG
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 19:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It's pretty hard not to look at the pictures and want say we all want to offer anything we have to help you. You'll need it but it seems you have a great start.

OK engineer it's now time to take your own medicine! make the hard choices and have to perform to,your own standards. Most of it is hard work. Putting this back together should be an eye opening experience for you. So there should be a whole lot of fun too. keep,us all posted as you go. I'm sure there are many that would like to see how you make out. we have a lot of experience here in the forum should you get stuck in a difficult situation.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 20:20   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Shawn

I'll send you a copy of an owners manual. I'll PM you.

BTW It was designed by W. Crealock in his youth, the same guy that designs the Pacific Seacraft now.................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 21:23   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Wow, here I've been complaining about how much work my refit is going to be. I am just going to stop that now. Is that peeling paint on the interior or something else?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 23:14   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Good luck matey,
Look like you've a tiny bit of work to do.......
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 27-02-2007, 00:33   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Way to go Drex!! It must feel exciting to step into a new frontier. I would encourage you to get the boat into the water as soon as possible and feel the magic and power of the wind. Persimmon Wood, they used to use that wood to make the heads of golf clubs and billard cues.
Good luck man.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 01:12   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Drex, check out this forum.

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/clipper/index.cgi
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 02:08   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Well done that man!

As one of those who was trying to be encouraging as well as helpful, can I just say........ "oh sh#t"

Good idea on running progress on this thread (Hint, I like photo's ), help to give folk a clearer understanding of what they are talking / advising about........and perhaps more likely to attract help of whatever sort.

To my eyes she has good lines on her

Can't wait to see her once she has had a clean
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 10:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Absolutley ! you have to post photo's.
Actually, I think you will find that the boat is not as bad as you think. It looks bad, but a darn good clean up will do some wonders. I think you will find most of it is purely cosmetic.
What a lovely boat. I think she is georgouse.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 10:42   #10

Having been down this road. You'll enjoy trip, but the road is unpaved, and the scenery at the end is magnificent!

Go get a copy of Ferec Mate's book From a Bare Hull. It's on Amazon for about $10 used. I promise it will be the best $10 you'll spend on the boat.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 11:47   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Drexel,
Never Monday recommended a good book and I'd recommend the book "This Old Boat" by Don Casey. As Gord has said it is rather simplistic but it does cover what you are going to be doing and on page 56 talks about adding strength and stiffening which I think you might be interested in.
My caution is that you don't do too much strengthening and stiffening to the point of making the boat extra heavy. Moderation is the key.
At any rate, good luck to you and keep us posted.
Another piece of advice is don't buy anything for the boat unless you are going to use it very quickly. Even at bargain prices things deteriorate or become outdated quickly especially anything requiring electricity.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 12:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
This is how it all starts! You buy and old boat and fix it then you start to think if only it were 2 feet bigger then I will be happy. So you do it over and over. When you finaly stop you have a big Ketch. I think that I am over wanting a boat that is just 2 feet bigger.! Good luck.
Old 27-02-2007, 18:41   #13

I see your standing on the pop-top. If it's strong enough to hold your weight without collapsing, you already have one foot through the door. Most of them the foam core has rotted and they're soft. I had to re-core this ole gal's pop-top. It's a younger sister to yours.

The other major issue with the drop keels is if a cable has broken while in the water, it may have cracked the front part of the keel trunk allowing water to get into the hidden bilge below the floor.

Enjoy............................................. .........._/)

Old 27-02-2007, 20:23   #14

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
1st Question

Hello all,

Well thanks for the encouragement so far. Here is my 1st question. I plan on dry docking this boat for the next 3 months while I refit the cabin. Are 5 points of suspension ok? What I mean to say is pillar of brick supporting the boat, two at the stern, two at the bow, and one as close to mid ship as possible. Will this stress the fiberglass too much during the time it sits on blocks? I noticed from where the boat sat so long on blocks there appears to be a small deflection in the hull at the point of contact. Can this be avoided?

Also, the books you guys have mentioned...anyone want to sell me an extra copy? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Shawn
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:41   #15

Shawn,
The hull is only 3/4" thick with a plywood core at the heel and gets smaller as it goes up the side. Put two 4" wide X 8'+ long bunk boards, one on each side, and then you can put the bricks under those. The hull will oil-can at the bricks under the weight of someone in and out of the boat.

Also your trailer, if your going to use one, should have bunk boards................_/)