Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2006, 07:01   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Is that the Calypso? I saw the ad, nicely equipped.
Our first choice is the previous model, the 3400, if we can find one for around 50K that needs work. Hoping to run across that deal, you know. Little old widow lady in Florida with a catamaran, a motorhome, and a cadillac to get rid of so she can concentrate on Bingo in the Condo...if such exists.

I am confident in my handyman skills across the board, so am hoping for something I can return to pristine. If we cant find what we want, we will move up to the 105 like Calypso. More money, but needs less work. And I think its a nicer boat than the one I have in mind.
Old 21-09-2006, 07:09   #17

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
Yep - it's Calypso. It's on my dock - walk past her every time I go to my boat. She is very nice. Good luck on your search. I have seen a few in St. Pete in the East Coast Sailboat trader.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 09:35   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Saw a mega-yacht here in Ft. Lauderdale named:

"Lucky Sperm"

Spotted a sailboat in St. Thomas some years ago:

"Passing Wind"
Old 21-09-2006, 09:57   #19
One of Those

I once had a t-shirt from the "Passing Wind" club, which is a social club out at the Bermuda Biological Station, where I was doing some work with National Geographic looking for six-gill sharks....

Logo on the shirt was a flying cherub with a puff of wind, well, uh, behind him... would be nice artwork on a boat.
Old 21-09-2006, 18:10   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
Finally if you search the Coast Guard Document name query website you can find out what other boats may be named similarly in the waters you sail. You may not want to be one of sixteen boats named "Second Wind" or 'Knot Working' sailing Tampa Bay.
So true! I was in Sag Harbor for a while this summer (NY) and saw boat after boat named Serenity. One of the many was named "Serenity Now", which I thought was hillarious. I imagined that the boat name was a joke since there were so many other Serenity boats in the harbor. Remember that? Frank Costanza from Seinfeld?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 18:28   #21
Kai Nui

Sadly, I must admit I recognized that one immediately FWIW, there is a list somewhere, I can not remember where I found it, on the most common boat names. Petrel was way up there.
After thinking about it, naming a Gemini "Bob" would be kind of cool. The 105 looks like a Bob to me.
Old 21-09-2006, 18:36   #22

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Wow what great advice! I never thought of the VHF test. GOOD idea, helps me weed stuff out. Whilr I laugh at the silly stuff, I would like something memorable. I will tell you all my origianl idea, and the problem with it.
HOKAHEY
There was a book by that name, concerning American Indian (Sioux or Lakaota if you prefer). It was a battle cry and something said on perfect days. It got miss-translated as "it's a good day to die". Obviously, sounds like a bad name on a boat, lol. In truth, it really is better translated as "This moment is so good, if I died today I would die a happy man".

What do you think?
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 19:20   #23

Reefer Madness
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 19:35   #24

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by exranger
HOKAHEY
There was a book by that name, concerning American Indian (Sioux or Lakaota if you prefer). It was a battle cry and something said on perfect days. It got miss-translated as "it's a good day to die". Obviously, sounds like a bad name on a boat, lol. In truth, it really is better translated as "This moment is so good, if I died today I would die a happy man".

What do you think?
I think it is perfect! It does not matter if others mis-translate the meaning because the true meaning has significance to you. The real meaning of the word seems like the way most cruisers feel after a good day out on the water.

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 19:40   #25
Kai Nui

I agree, great idea.
Old 22-09-2006, 03:23   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I will tell you all my origianl idea, and the problem with it.
HOKAHEY
Seems to pass the tests plus it's short. Short is always good. I think it's fine that it has a meaning many if not most people won't know, but imagine if you met someone that did know.

You might consider spelling it with hypens. Lakota was not a written language so I'm not sure there is a "correct" way to spell it. It might look better that way as you sail by at great speed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 04:48   #27

Boat: C&C 27
http://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/names/top10.asp
One of the sites that list some popular boat names. Although it appears that Ex has his choice.

There was a boat in Belize, one of those plywood speed boats popular in San Pedro, that had a giant pot leaf painted on the side along with a name like "The Smuggler". Imagine the customs search on in Miami with that one.

There are a lot of boats named after women, Andrea Gail, may be a well know but sad example. I considered naming my boat "May Sartoris" after the Leighton painting hanging in the Kimbell in Ft Worth but decided that would have to wait until I found a wooden boat I couldn't live without. Anyway this is all to say I really like the name Bob. The entertainment value alone is infinite.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 05:01   #28
One of Those

For some reason that name "May Sartoris" reminded me of a song, which could be a decent boat name....'My Sharona" or just Sharona, which would become My in conversation...

Not to be confused with a similar song with same beat, "Nine Coronas"...
Old 22-09-2006, 05:24   #29

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Definetly agree with the VHF rule, the last cat I built we called "Two Headed Love Child" after reading the health warnings on some of the 2 pack paints we used. Try spelling that phonetically. She quickly got known as "Love Child", and I reckon the new girl might get "Bob"

Good Luck

Dave
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 05:30   #30

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/VesselSearch.aspx

This list includes all worldwide registrations. I liked the idea of having a low usage name. Too bad latin is no longer being taught!
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote