Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 08:37   #31

Re: Abandoned boat in Cuba (Marina Hemingway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
if anyone here has the opportunity,, go ,, Its a great place to visit. Be very careful in the winter you do not want to enter the Marina with any kind of north wind, the small cut in the reef washes out and boats have been lost.

One trip it was to dangerous to enter, they sent me to Havana Harbor, where I surfed my Pearson Triton into Havana harbor, past the Castle Morrow, it was awesome a bucket list thing for me.

I have a non profit corp, so not hard for me to go.
Cheers,
We were there this past February. Left KW in the evening and since the weather was rough but forecasted to get much worse so we left and pulled an all nighter by the crew, figuring we'll sleep it off next day. The boat owner, an unlimited master captain with 40+ years of sailing and captaining experience (not to mention many visits to Cuba both as a merchant mariner/captain and as a private cruiser) had a senior moment thinking that in Cuba RRR scheme was reversed. We almost beached his 47 footer drawing 8'. Heard beach surf breaking and turned around on a dime and entered the proper channel. At that point it was windy, raining and foggy and visibility was very limited.

Actually this was a second such situation in my sailing life. First one was about 20 years ago when I was a newbie crew member and skipper (with then 10-12 years of experience) was looking for a particular mooring in some Maine bay during wicked fog. I was by the bow trying to see more than 5-10 feet ahead. When I heard the beaching surf I innocently asked the captain of this was OK to hear that. Before I finished my question he started turning around and just in time.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Cuba