Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2023, 14:52   #1

abandoning a beneteau cyclede 50.5

Last january, sailing from Florida to Cartagena, Colombia and with only 70 NM to go, we had to abandon the sailboat do to a dramatic failure of the rudder support structure.

The upper part of the rudder structure (a 1.00" thick plywood board) simply was torn out from its place.

We managed to install the emergency rudder bar, (an stainless steel 1" rod), and with amazing difficulty, we advanced another 45 NM, until the tip of the rod that inserts into the rudder´s groove, just broke and we lost all control of the boat. (it is a long story).

Weather conditions were much higher than we had expected! 4-6 meter high waves and winds above 30-35 knots.

What we think happened, is that this Cyclade series is not designed to outstand for several days in a row, high winds and rough seas.

In our opinion the raymarine autopilot force was way too high and caused the damage.

By the way, while sailing "ok", the whole cabin wood panels, doors, divisions, had a very strange and loud cracking noise.

We appreciate any comments or similar experience...

Best regards,

Mr Amaury Benedetti
e mail: amaury.benedetti@gmail.com
A Benedetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 21:22   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: abandoning a beneteau cyclede 50.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Benedetti View Post
By the way, while sailing "ok", the whole cabin wood panels, doors, divisions, had a very strange and loud cracking noise.
What you heard was most likely the interior trying to dis-assemble itself due to the twisting/wracking/bending/flexing of the hull.
I presume from your post that all persons were safely gotten to shore.
Old 01-03-2023, 02:26   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Benedetti View Post
Last january, sailing from Florida to Cartagena, Colombia and with only 70 NM to go, we had to abandon the sailboat do to a dramatic failure of the rudder support structure.

The upper part of the rudder structure (a 1.00" thick plywood board) simply was torn out from its place.

We managed to install the emergency rudder bar, (an stainless steel 1" rod), and with amazing difficulty, we advanced another 45 NM, until the tip of the rod that inserts into the rudder´s groove, just broke and we lost all control of the boat. (it is a long story).

Weather conditions were much higher than we had expected! 4-6 meter high waves and winds above 30-35 knots.

What we think happened, is that this Cyclade series is not designed to outstand for several days in a row, high winds and rough seas.

In our opinion the raymarine autopilot force was way too high and caused the damage.

We appreciate any comments or similar experience...

Best regards,

Mr Amaury Benedetti
e mail: amaury.benedetti@gmail.com
Sorry for the loss, glad you guys are sound and ok.

The rudder bulkhead ply structure its a endemic evil in the Oceanis series prior to 2012 if i remember well.

I have already reinforced or repaired 5 rudder structures from Oceanis to Clipper's.

It is not an autopilot problem, it is a construction problem, they glue the plywood to the hull with Plexus and use screws to fix the structure to the aft bulkhead.

The methacrylate detaches, cracks where it makes contact with the hull, and the entire structure begins to dance before breaking.

It has happened before with the sinking of another Beneteau in the North Atlantic Ocean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	272245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	272246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	272247  
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Thank you for sharing. It's another data point to add to the list.

I hope the loss did not leave you destitute.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:07   #5

If I recall, several years ago, when Sailing La Vagabond was still sailing the Beneteau 43.4 that they had a similar issue and had to have a some brackets fabricated to add strength adn stability.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:45   #6

Blue Pearl was the Beneteau 50 that came apart and sunk in the North Atlantic in moderate weather conditions. Fortunately all aboard were picked up and saved including their dog.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 16:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Sorry for the loss, glad you guys are sound and ok.

The rudder bulkhead ply structure its a endemic evil in the Oceanis series prior to 2012 if i remember well.

I have already reinforced or repaired 5 rudder structures from Oceanis to Clipper's.

It is not an autopilot problem, it is a construction problem, they glue the plywood to the hull with Plexus and use screws to fix the structure to the aft bulkhead.

The methacrylate detaches, cracks where it makes contact with the hull, and the entire structure begins to dance before breaking.

It has happened before with the sinking of another Beneteau in the North Atlantic Ocean.
There is sooooo much wrong with that last photo, it’s hard to know where to start. It seems the derisive nickname “bendy-toy” is better deserved than I ever knew!
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:11   #8

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
There is sooooo much wrong with that last photo, it’s hard to know where to start. It seems the derisive nickname “bendy-toy” is better deserved than I ever knew!
Last photo its the aft main bulkhead, where the rudder bulkheads are glued, just to point that there is no limber hole in that particular corner , the valve its the water intake for the generator, any deck leak or salt water leak accumulates in that corner rotting the bottom of the plywood bulkhead and weakening the area where it is glued to the hull.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 20:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Last photo its the aft main bulkhead, where the rudder bulkheads are glued, just to point that there is no limber hole in that particular corner , the valve its the water intake for the generator, any deck leak or salt water leak accumulates in that corner rotting the bottom of the plywood bulkhead and weakening the area where it is glued to the hull.
All that... and a plain steel handle on the seacock to rust away???? How much did they charge for this POS?

I have yet to find a boat built without any issues, but Geez...
Old 05-03-2023, 05:06   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I know the owner. He said they attempted to locate Attitude Adjustment the following day from the air by plane and helicopter. The AIS signal was lost and it's assumed she sank. Fortunately, the crew were rescued.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:56   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

That is a familiar name, Attitude Adjustment. Saw a boat with that name somewheres between St Martin and Antigua in the last 2 months.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That is a familiar name, Attitude Adjustment. Saw a boat with that name somewheres between St Martin and Antigua in the last 2 months.
That's not exactly surprising... there are over 100 boats in the USCG database with active documentation named Attitude Adjustment. I'll bet everyone of the the owners think they have a clever and creative name...
Old 06-03-2023, 12:03   #13

Boats falling apart at sea. I'm surprised any are sold
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:33   #14

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

Benêteaus are what the late Philippe Harlé, the leading French naval architect of the 70’s and 80’s, called “weekend boats”. Intended to be used a dozen weekends and a two week vacation every year
Philippe would have defined a Harlberg Rassay, or his own design of aluminum centreboarder like our Garcia as “voyaging” boats. He had designed all classes of sailing vessels, and emphasized to us that buying a voyaging boat for weekend use would be a waste of our money
French rules of the time would have limited weekend boats to sailing within 60 miles of shelter, but the current EU rules are salesman driven, and make some weekenders as voyagers
There are a host of reasons why a fifty foot HR or Garcia costs very substantially more than a 50 foot Benneteau or similar weekend boat
Of course, many Benneteaus have circumnavigated ( there is one beside us now in the Galapagos, heading out across the Pacific) but they do so with a rather small margin of safety
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 19:56   #15

I too feel for your loss... I find it surprising that there is a distinction drawn between weekend boats and those you have that last decades... I was surprised for I had never heard the term weekend boats used that way... I guess there are a few of us out here who have never heard that term.
Hope there are fewer boats afloat that qualify as....
peace be with .... remain undaunted
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau