Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 17:26   #1

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
About a Formosa 56 Ketch

Hi all

We are looking at a beautiful Formosa 56 ketch and are pretty taken by those lines.

We would like to get any advice on particularities of this model.
What are the areas I should pay extra attention ?
Pros and cons of this model ?
Easy to sail solo or short handed? we are a couple with 2 young children...

Cheers
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 17:59   #2

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa
Re: About a Formosa 56 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Hi all

We are looking at a beautiful Formosa 56 ketch and are pretty taken by those lines.

We would like to get any advice on particularities of this model.
Wood mast may or may not be a concern. Draft.
What are the areas I should pay extra attention ?
The same as any other boat, soft decks, leaks, mechanically sound? age of sails and rigging.
Pros and cons of this model ?
Pros: Comfortable full keel boat. Many people will love your boat.
Con: Full keel, not fast. Many people will not like your boat.
Easy to sail solo or short handed? we are a couple with 2 young children...
Maybe...

Cheers
When the owners group existed you could read post from many owners who were out using and loving their Formosa's. I would search out people who own or have owned them to get your questions answered.
If you can look for articles with "Lost soul" a 56' Formosa. I would buy it if I could. http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/39686
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 18:50   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Is it this boat?
I think this one was for sale 3 years ago as well, for a lot less than the current advertised price.

Looking at post #1 and that copied in post #2... these posts are different.
Can't remember that it had a long keel. Looking on net...... see attached drawing..... or are these 2 different boats? On checking the link of "Lost Soul" it does not show a long keel either...... The boat in the photo is a double ender, I think

It is a lot of boat (over 40 tonnes loaded!). Sorry, never owned a Formosa, so cannot speak from experience. Although the purchase price was (then) very attractive, I shyed away from this one 3 years ago. For three reasons: maintenance would be substantial, replacing parts would be expensive and sailing it single-handedly (think reefing) would be an enormous task.
On the other hand, love that boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	formosa 56 in  HK.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	157404   Click image for larger version

Name:	formosa 56 drawing.jpg
Views:	1677
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	157405  

Old 09-10-2017, 19:00   #4

Hi Scott

Thanks for the info and the video, the interior layout is not identical but close enough to leave me mouth watering....

I am trying to reach owners as I want to make sure that I can afford the running costs

Cheers
Old 09-10-2017, 19:58   #5

Hi there
Yes, that is the one, we visited last Saturday and now that is the only boat we can think of....but as you say maintenance and solo/short handed sailing would be a challenge...or would it??

Cheers
Old 09-10-2017, 21:54   #6

Hi Andreshs1, I think there could be 2 different types of Formosa 56, one like "Lost Soul" that comes in at 38 tons, and the one you are looking at, is listed at 25 tons..... Or it could be that one, or both ads are not accurate, and that would not be the first time.

I detect in your post (#5) some emotional feelings... hmmm, that is not good as a decision to buy might not be pragmatic. On the other hand the buying of any yacht does not make (financial) sense.

Regarding single-handling, try to find a sister boat, and check with that owner. Of course you could ask the current owner of 'your' boat, but chances are his/her reply will be biased to what you want to hear. And for the owner to take you out: likely not until you made a commitment to buy.

Here is some other info: http://http://www.cruisersforum.com/...-a-116556.html
Old 09-10-2017, 22:19   #7

Hi there

Yes, unfortunately we are now sentimental about this one...

We are upgrading from a Catalina 36mkii, and I fear that it might be too much for me...maybe I should go for a 45ft before jumping to the big leagues but that would mean something like a Jeanneau SO 45.1, not the same charms....

When we upgraded to the Catalina from our 28ft it was lovely at first sight..and now we we have a similar situation, but I might have to be sensible and go for the smaller one....

Cheers
Old 10-10-2017, 09:34   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

Who, boy, pretty boat. A couple of thoughts: I had a Columbia 57, which is a similarly sized boat. I could single hand it: it had an excellent Harken furler for the jib, slab reefing for the main with blocks sewn into the leech of the main at the reef points (which greatly reduced the effort to reef the 750 square foot main), lazy jacks, and an excellent auto pilot. Point is, you have to set things up to make it manageable.

Second thought: TEAK DECKS! They look ok in the photos, but back then teak decks were screwed down. If the decks aren't leaking now, they will be. Unless, of course, they've been recently replaced. $$$$

Good luck with your decision.

Scott
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:19   #9

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall

As an owner of another Taiwan built heavy blue-water cruiser, you'll love the way it sails and all the associated comforts. As for "too much boat," we went from a Hunter 36' (Cherubini design) to a Hudson Force 50 (sister ship to Formosa). No problems making the change! They are "needy girls" with all the systems that usually come with it, and all the teak trim to take care of. Luckily, ours had the teak decks replaced a couple of owners ago. Our cabin top is still covered in teak, but it's all bonded with adhesive (no screws) and finishes up like new. Check in with Bob Bitchin, editor of Cruising Outpost, and former owner of the "Lost Soul." I spoke with him just last week about his time aboard. His comment after accepting an "offer he couldn't refuse" to sell the boat for way more than he had put into it, was that it was that he really regrets having let her go!
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:02   #10

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I like the Formosa vessels too--but size equates to money, and risk if you are sailing short-handed. Of course you could spend a fortune and re-rig the vessel to make it easier to single-hand, but it may be a better and safer option to buy a smaller and easier to manage vessel at the outset. I think a Tayana around 41 feet would do it--or a Formosa 41

I sailed my 40 ft trimaran into waters of about six feet depth without trouble--and these larger monos draw so much water there are so many places one simply can not venture--and sometimes one needs to get closer to a sheltering island.

EVERYTHING is big and expensive on a larger boat--anchors, engines, winches, chains, masts are going to be tall--how do you feel about working aloft? Sail maintenance and purchase will be very costly--as will all sailing tackle of all kinds--and I think you will need crew to take a fifty six footer offshore.

Great to live aboard such a floating apartment though--

One should buy the smallest boat in which one can fit comfortably and sail safely.. You will go more places and spend less money--and probably lose less on eventual resale, because if you spend less on purchase you lose less on resale, costs of maintenance notwithstanding.

My $0.02 worth.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:04   #11

Boat: Vagabond 52 staysail schooner

Wife and I bought, sailed and lived on our Formosa 51 ketch for the past 28 years. Most of our sailing we did with just the 2 of us on board, including a 9 day offshore voyage from Miami to Martha's Vineyard, MA. Ease of handling largely due to roller reefing/furling on main, mizzen, and genoa. She was built in '77 and developed leaks in the teak decking as well as around portlights, causing some rot. If your teak decks are fastened by screws,not by epoxy or some other adhesive, rip up the teak and glass over the deck. We did, it came out well, and we are not boat builders. Process is simple and easy and not at all expensive if not done by professionals. If this isn't done, your deck will develop soft spots compromising strength, and rot doesn't stop... it keeps growing. Find and fill voids between caprail and hull, and any exterior joinery that shows signs of separation. Our Lehman engine served us very well, as did our anchor windlass (essential for the anchor and chain weight you will require). Bottom painting gets expensive due to the square yardage, as does hauling the vessel for any reason. 56 ft is a lot of boat to care for... wood treatment, paint, dockage fees, head maintenance, housecleaning, etc. Your boat will be sea kindly with a slower motion than the bobbly lightweights out there. Concern for sea conditions doesn't really begin until wave height gets up around 8 ft or more, and we found better speed once the wind gets up into the higher teens. In 25 knots and running under staysail, reefed main and slightly reefed mizzen, making 8 over the bottom was predictable. Not likely your vessel will point well for upwind sailing however. They're made for beam winds. And downwind they like to roll and yaw. We often adjusted course just enough to mitigate that. All that said, expect to stay busy maintaining your boat, and enjoy the comfort of size, weight, lots of living room, and lots of storage. PS because of the amount and types of work we did on ours, we learned a great deal about her construction, materials to employ and more. If you have any questions about details, please email us: gwbull@gmail.com.
gwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:24   #12

Thank you all for the advice and information

It seems that we might settle on a Jeanneau SO 45.1 from 95. Needs TLC but it is within our budget and sailing capabilities, also running costs will be considerably lower.....After doing some research at the local yards it seems that maintenance would be quite a burden.....we live in Hong Kong and yards are really expensive and much less choices to go for. I was quoted in the range of 5500USD just for the antifouling....and we don't have yards here to keep the boat in the dry for weeks while doing it myself (well there is one but at a ridiculously high price)

Again, thank you guys for the inputs and willingness to provide advice

Cheers
Andres
Old 10-10-2017, 17:37   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Thank you all for the advice and information

It seems that we might settle on a Jeanneau SO 45.1 from 95. Needs TLC but it is within our budget and sailing capabilities, also running costs will be considerably lower.....After doing some research at the local yards it seems that maintenance would be quite a burden.....we live in Hong Kong and yards are really expensive and much less choices to go for. I was quoted in the range of 5500USD just for the antifouling....and we don't have yards here to keep the boat in the dry for weeks while doing it myself (well there is one but at a ridiculously high price)

Again, thank you guys for the inputs and willingness to provide advice

Cheers
Andres
IMO, a wise decision, both fiscally and in terms of actually enjoying sailing the boat. The leaky teakies have their fans, but for someone in your position they have a lot of drawbacks.

Enjoy!

Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 18:08   #14

Thank you FS for the video of the Lost Soul & Eric Stones song. I was her first mate on her shake down cruise to Mexico & sailed on her to Tahiti. I also did all of the journey work on her. I loved the work shop I had on her also.
Sailing her was a dream, she was fast for her size, but the Lost Soul had had a additional 10' added to her main & her Ballast had added weight.
I remember drilling holes in her Teak Decks & inserting epoxy to seal the leaks in the crews quarters & around the trunk cabin. Built that big storage/sette box at the stern also.
Both Bob Bitchin & I have had over 35,000 NM at that time & setting her up for single handling was EZ. Auto Pilot etc. Good luck, with your purchase, I've own a Formosa 40 & loved sailing up in Wa.
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 18:31   #15

There are lots of boats to fall in love with, but not all boats you can live with.

Tags
formosa, ketch