Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 07:05   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I uses the Cetol Natural, it's a much better color than the original " orange" color.

After you build up the coats you can put the gloss over it, or not, up to you. Try it on a small section, see if you like it. I'm pretty happy with mine.
I use it for the exterior mostly.
I too like the looks of the natural. A friend uses the cetrol light and it does have a orange tint to it and the original cetrol will built up to a dark brown. I know since I used that for 10 years prior to switching to the natural color. One thing that I did find out is that it is best to apply a gloss coat over the natural. That gloss seems to help with the UV protection which seems contrary to what is expected since the color coating itself should be more resistant than the clear gloss?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 10:10   #17

I think ,sikkens cetol HLS ,and then the filter 7 exellant alternative to varnish.you will need to rub wood right down to bare then if teak degreese, 2 coats of base then 1 of filter 7 then every 12-18 mths quick wash down with fresh water and 1 coat on top very quick,if any areas have been worn through to bare wood easy to touch in with base coat first. Very important to use the lightest shade ie pine or light pine does not have the depth of varnish but looks nearly as good,and wit out 7-9 coats of carefull application.They now do a novateck version which contain 75% solids so should last even longer.
CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 10:17   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the cetol clear gloss looks pretty good compared to varnish and is easy to use. the tinted cetol will turn dark over the years.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:01   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
If varnishing is something you do not enjoy then Cetol sounds like a good way to go. Personally I do not mind varnishing as I enjoy the mindless work (it seems therapeutic the me) kind of like knitting but you are out in the fresh air and sunshine. When we owned our house I really enjoyed painting so enjoying varnishing is not that much of a reach for me.
Jackie
Consider that varnishing is only distantly related to painting.

It's not the actual varnishing that is the issue it the preparation for varnishing. To do it right all the fittings must be removed. Then all the varnish must be removed. Then all the stained spots in the wood must be bleached/sanded/etc. to get back to the unstained state. Then you get to apply the varnish. Then you get to do everything all over again in a couple years.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:27   #20

It's not the actual varnishing that is the issue it the preparation for varnishing. To do it right all the fittings must be removed. Then all the varnish must be removed. Then all the stained spots in the wood must be bleached/sanded/etc. to get back to the unstained state. Then you get to apply the varnish. Then you get to do everything all over again in a couple years.[/QUOTE]

I want to simply brush something on the wood as is, no sanding or bleaching or any preperation whatsoever. The reason is exactly what you said, its to do all over again and again.
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:07   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40
We redid our brightwork this spring and used the Cetol Natural. Liked it much better than the other colors. Don't have a picture of varnish to compare but here is a pic of the Cetol Natural next to bare (cleaned) teak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teak Project 2010_06 small.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	20535  
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:13   #22

Boat: CT54
Here is a varnished companion way. Definitely a BIG difference between varnish and cetol.

jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
never got to see the inside till I followed your link.

that is the most beautiful boat I ever saw at any dock. She is just absolutely gorgeous standing next to her on the dock. I have serious pea green boat envy for that boat.

Hey Golden Heart! If you're ever for sale, please PM me! I want first dibs.
He posts over on thekeel.com a lot. Really nice guy and yeah, gorgeous boat. It's roughly the same make/model as ours so I love/hate seeing pictures of it because it's such a damn high standard to hold a boat to.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:59   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40
I should have also added in my previous post that the picture is just 3 coats of cetol, with no gloss.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 13:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW View Post
I should have also added in my previous post that the picture is just 3 coats of cetol, with no gloss.
Thats the look I whant, nice!!
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 05:01   #26

I really like the look of Semco, but for some reason West has stopped carrying it. Defender has it.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 20:08   #27

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
How about pine tar & linseed oil?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 21:37   #28

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I have varnish and Cetol on Idora as an experiment to see which aggravates me the most......

Todd
What a perspective. Makes shopping for a lot of things easy.

Which one of these do I hate the most? Then just grab any of the remaining items. Brilliant.

Hannah on Rita T picked my favorite. Really great stuff for little or no preparation and ease of application. When your done it looks like brand new but unvarnished teak.

Hate Cetol