Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 13:09   #31

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: Adding outboard to Cal 29

"How deep would I want the prop to be below the waterline, so I know where to mount the bracket?"

The mount position is a little tricky depending upon what your goal is. If you have a mount with a lot of range you may consider setting it up so with it all the way up the engine is just barely out of the water. Garelick has mounts with 15" of range so you would then be putting it down 15" from there. If you want it as deep as possible you would want it setup so that with the mount all the way up and the engine tilted you are completely out of the water. A little more work raising/lowering the engine this way but then you have the prop in deeper in case you are motoring in bad chop.

"If I have the adjustable mount, does short shaft or long shaft matter?""

Yes. The extra leg length lets the controls be closer to you and less likely to be dunked (for same depth prop) or at the same control length the prop is 5" or 10"s deeper. Also the 25" shafts tend to come with high thrust props and charging circuits which you would want.

BTW, 15hp is probably more than you need. There are a few Alberg 30s out there with 6hp Tohatsu sailpros and they move them pretty well. Great little engine, I had one on my old Compac 23. The 25" Tohatsu 9.8hp looks like a great engine too and should be smoother than the single cylinder 6hp.

Trying to work through my diesel issues too. Otherwise an outboard is in my future as well.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 14:32   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I used to have a little Catalina 22 with a Johnson 6 on it. At that time (early 80s) I had not seen the setup were engine and rudder could be linked with an arm. I would just reach over the stern and turn the engine parrallel to the rudder. In his case I believe the rudder and outboard would be a bit harder to link together in that when the engine is in the water the tiller arm to it is much lower than the top edge of the transom. I'm certain it can be done and maybe would be easy enough with a cable system but might need some more engineering.

Let's see if he's going to give up on the diesel completely.
I hope not! Although it may be a question of money on the diesel? My repost was just a concern of someone thinking a transom hung OB will give tiller steering with no prop wash on the rudder at no speed. And yes it can be done to link the OB to the tiller but no two boats are the same set ups.. I wouldn't even want to go into that.

I just hope the OP takes it for what it is worth,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 16:06   #33

Boat: Scout 30

A friend of mine has a Catamaran with an outboard that normally can't be steered. He rigged the outboard with a steering stick that he put next to the shifter. It takes up very little room & can be very handy when he's backing down. I believe it uses the same Teleflex system as a wheel.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 19:01   #34

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini

Thanks again everyone for the responses. Thanks Shawn for the in depth answers. I decided to get a second opinion on the engine, especially since the first guy couldn't tell me the engine make. I can't find any markings on, but did post two pics in the engine forum. Hoping a second opinion might yield better results. As long as the engine repair is less then a grand, I'm gonna go that route. Thanks again everyone!
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cal 29, outboard