Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 15:08   #1

Advantages of Hauling Out Over the Med Winter ?

I'm from Melbourne and back there, there is pretty much no hauling out of yacht and keeping it on the hard unless it is going through a refit.

In Sweden on the other had, the haul them out to prevent the ice crushing or any other thing the cold does.

In Greece I noticed that very many yachts have been hauled out for the season. It has me wondering if it is because the marina fees are two large and on the hard us cheaper in many case? or is it for conservation ot the yachts due to the lack of maintenance from distant owner?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 16:21   #2

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Years ago as a kid I saw a fantastic winter storm in crete (from land). The waves were crashing over the harbor wall (Chania, perhaps 12 feet?) and the inner harbor was rough enough for the fishermen to be removing their boats too (actually the waves were coming up the street in town).

A friend of mine just started keeping his 34ft boat there and the winter haulout and storage fees were insanely cheap, I think he quoted me about 1200 for the whole thing, approximately 6 months on the hard but could be a bit out there.
Old 24-10-2010, 17:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
In St Martin you can keep a boat on the hard for $10/ft/month during hurricane season. Safe and sound while I'm away, not worrying about getting sunk at the ball or beat to death against a dock.
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 02:40   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In the med it more an economic decision based on the availability of hard standing.

In France and some marinas in Spain and Italy there's not much hard standing or the hard standing is provided by the yard and not the Marina hence you have to pay to retain the Marina berth anyway. It's uncommon to see for example boats in med France hauled out.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 03:04   #5

It was mentioned to me that if you keep the boat on the hard in Greece you need to make sure it is on a cradle rather than just poles because of earthquakes.

Where "my almost" boat is, it's in a well protected private marina and the wet berth is paid up until the end of May. They will charge extra if I put it on the hard, so maybe I will leave it where it is.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out