Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 15:07   #1

Advice and guidance sought

Hello all, I am presently looking for a boat to buy. My plan is to gunk hole my life away up and down the east coast of the U.S., Canada, and some of the islands. I am retired, 66yo and in pretty decent physical condition. I can put about $100K into a boat, including all taxes, doc fees and improvements/repairs that are needed. I have considerable cruising experience accummulated sporatically during the last 35 yrs, but do need to polish my boat handling skills and my machanical prowess is limited to basic maintenance. My ideal boat would be 35' to 43', a bit beamy, with 5' draft or less, with full electronics, main engine with less than 2500 hrs, generator, air and heat, propane stove and oven, refer/ freezer, dingy davits and dingy with out board. In other words, a floating condominium. I have been looking at Irwin's, Morgan's, Pearson's, Gulfstar's, and a few other's. I prefer center cockpits, with aft cabins, but that is not an essential. Any advice, opinions or guidance would be appreciated. I just want to cover all my options and not make a giant mistake. Thanks for your time, and I think this is a great site. Greg
easyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 15:40   #2

Boat: Leopard L38
Re: Advice and guidance sought

Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com or sailboat listings .com.

Good luck in your search.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 15:41   #3

Hello. In my opinion, your wish list is long but you can probably get most of it given your budget.
If I were in your shoes I would buy a boat in the 40-60k range and upgrade/repair if necessary. Then save the rest for petroleum, emergency repairs and maintenance.
There are plenty of great used cruising boats out there in this economy, residual values on pleasure craft are low.
I would also suggest that you read, research and read some more. The best part of forums such as these is the wealth of free info available from those who have been there and back.
Good luck!
Reach-around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 15:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Good boat to meet all your requirements is the Morgain Outisland 41. Very shoal draft, lots and lots of them around so some good deals to be found. Pretty well built. Center cockpit with aft cabin.

Not the best sailor in the world but for gunkholing and coastal cruising it would fit the bill.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Quote:
Hello all, I am presently looking for a boat to buy.
Welcome to the Cruisers Forum. Many of our members have experience in buying boats. Regrettably few have experience in selling boats...

Quote:
My plan is to gunk hole my life away up and down the east coast of the U.S., Canada, and some of the islands.
Way to go...

Quote:
I am retired, 66yo and in pretty decent physical condition. I can put about $100K into a boat, including all taxes, doc fees and improvements/repairs that are needed.
For a serious lifestyle this may be the minimum.

Quote:
I have considerable cruising experience accumulated sporadically during the last 35 yrs, but do need to polish my boat handling skills and my mechanical prowess is limited to basic maintenance.
You probably know more than me about cruising, my boat handles me rather than vice versa and I think I've leaned more about boat mechanics than is right or proper.

Quote:
My ideal boat would be 35' to 43', a bit beamy, with 5' draft or less, with full electronics, main engine with less than 2500 hrs, generator, air and heat, propane stove and oven, refer/ freezer, dingy davits and dingy with out board.
In other words, a floating condominium.
You don't say how many you are but if there's just one the smaller end of this range could be much easier to manage.

Quote:
I have been looking at Irwin's, Morgan's, Pearson's, Gulfstar's, and a few other's. I prefer center cockpits, with aft cabins, but that is not an essential.
These could all be older boats with significant mechanical issues. At the lower end of your range a newer aft cockpit cruiser is more likely.
If I were in your place I'd look at some of the boats that were top quality when built. I'm thinking Island packet or similar.

Quote:
Any advice, opinions or guidance would be appreciated. I just want to cover all my options and not make a giant mistake.
You've stated the right way by working out what you want to do and looking for the beat way to do it. Regrettably any boat purchase could be considered "unwise".

Thanks for your time, and I think this is a great site. Greg
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 20:03   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard CF
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:27   #7

Thanks to all for the input. I have looked closely at the Morgan Classic 41' s that are on the market, but since I'll be single handling, I feel they may a bit more than I can handle. I am thinking seriusly of purchacing a very lightly used, single owner Irwin 38' MkII, '87 in excellent and sail away condition. I won't have to spend anything more than the survey, taxes and documentation fees. No genset or ac, but has diesel heaters. As I hope to spend my time in perpetual spring time conditions ( follow the sun, as it were) I don't feel that the ac is a necessity at this time. ( Heard that small ac units are available nowadays that run off 12volt system and are sufficient to cool down a berthing compartment. Any info or direction on this would be appreciated.) I know that Irwin's have a few issues, but I can live with them. I definately will have a survey done and engine check etc. Any further input from you nice people is eagerly sought. Thanks again and happy sailing to all. G.
easyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 05:23   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you plan for spring time by following the sun, do you really need an air con? Just go native and get used to it. That means perhaps you don't need a genset which then simplifies the whole charging and electrical systems to a KISS approach. Add solar and wind then you only need step ashore once a month for supplies, oh and to catch up on Cruiser Forums of course

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 05:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice and guidance sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you plan for spring time by following the sun, do you really need an air con? Just go native and get used to it.
Pete
ROFL...... thats like asking Vampires to give up blood...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote