Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 09:22   #46

Boat: Peterson 25T / Sabre 362
Re: Advice for old but sturdy 25-30ft blue water cruisers

Check out a Miura 30. Raced one for years, tracks like crazy and can take anything dished out to it, upwind or down. It sailed up from Cape Town to Vancouver. Met a family in the Azores that just sold theirs for a 40 footer but were concerned it would not be as seaworthy as the Miura.

SA Yacht Blog: Miura
Dusty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 22:51   #47

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

Hi all,

It's good to see that the same models keep on being suggested. The Albin Vega is the only one on the list that I knew before, and there are a few around for below 10000 Euros. They seem partly a bit crappy, but I reckon as long as the structure is good and everything sailing related works, I can live around old upholstery or an ugly deck. The engines often seem quite old, but if well taken care of they possibly start good enough to get me in and out of the harbors, and while I'm not a wizard, I have a friend or two who can help with that issue (even if it might be telemedicine-like diagnostics).

As my long term plan is getting more refined, I'm thinking of being rather on the small end of the spectrum. I think I might be on the boat for a few weeks or a month in a row several times a year, but probably never more than 6 weeks in a row. A smaller boat might be cheaper to store in a marina for a few months here and there while I'm gone. And I'll likely be alone large parts of the time, so small doesn't matter too much.

At least during the first half of 2018, I might have to do computer work for large parts of the time while being aboard, and I am considering paying the sunshine bonus in the Med. When thinking of the boat as a converted office/ holiday house/ cabin, sitting in rainy England or Brittany seems less appealing than sunny Spain where I might be able to work in the cockpit year-round. At the same time I saw an incredibly cheap one in central Norway, where it's quite nice, too, which I'm considering looking at if the response of the seller is positive. So it's pretty much still open, but in reality I hope the ones in the Med are good.

I'm determined to make a deal by the end of January and keep you updated on what it will be!

Cheers,
Phil
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 01:22   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If your looking for a mobile office to work from rather than something capable of bashing to windward through a North Atlantic winter storm then perhaps a deck saloon yacht might suit you better. Certainly nicer to work in and be able to see out.

I am thinking of the 27ft LM range and you will probably find one in budget. something like this:

LM 27 Sailing Yachts for sale UK, used LM Sailing Yachts, new LM yacht sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

I certainly wouldn't be afraid of putting in a cheeky offer right now on any of these in the run up to Christmas, you never know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	532724_1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	160477  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 01:30   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not a bad office:

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	517933_6.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	160478  
Old 13-12-2017, 01:43   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Wow Pete! I worked on it for a while and made a lovely office out of the boat.

Thanks!

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 02:16   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There you go, think of all your customers you could reach by being afloat sailing around the med fixing everyone's woes :-)
Old 13-12-2017, 02:17   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There you go, think of all your customers you could reach by being afloat sailing around the med fixing everyone's woes :-)
hee hee...
Old 13-12-2017, 03:00   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for old but sturdy 25-30ft blue water cruisers

To be honest buying a 27ftr is not going to be any cheaper in a marina than a 30ftr.. the rates are worked at 8m to 10m then 10m to 12m and so on..
A 30ftr is 9.9something metres so realistically that extra space is well worth going for.
But thats just my 00.00001 cent

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 03:07   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To be honest buying a 27ftr is not going to be any cheaper in a marina than a 30ftr.. the rates are worked at 8m to 10m then 10m to 12m and so on..
A 30ftr is 9.9something metres so realistically that extra space is well worth going for.
Funny thing. I was thinking the same... and in Europe off season they will sometimes charge the lower rate....
Old 13-12-2017, 06:33   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
30 ft is 9.14 meters.
32.5 is 9.9 meters
Old 13-12-2017, 06:58   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
30 ft is 9.14 meters.
32.5 is 9.9 meters
Don't forget the anchor that everyone has sticking out the front and the flag pole at the back.

Everyone is of course correct, just under 10m will be greater but also beam and height to avoid that cabin fever feeling.

However, given the budget the yachts condition probably trumps size.

Pete
Old 13-12-2017, 07:34   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don't forget the anchor that everyone has sticking out the front and the flag pole at the back.

Everyone is of course correct, just under 10m will be greater but also beam and height to avoid that cabin fever feeling.

However, given the budget then condition probably trumps size.

Pete
hence my preference for flush deck boats lots more room in cabin.
Old 30-12-2017, 01:02   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipseml View Post
Hi everybody,

Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions. Unfortunately, boats in the US are out of question for me at present. UK is a trade-off already, but one I'm happy to take.

The advantages of a wind vane over electric systems do not belong in this thread, but are, in my opinion, obvious. Besides, I'm so used to one (had an Aries) and love the mechanics so much that I think a boat without one is lacking something essential (at least when it's mine). I see your point about the autopilot, though, and might survive with one until a suitable wind vane shows up (I'll start checking ebay, but even a new Windpilot Pacific Light isn't that outrageous with about 1500 Euros). Most boats I found come with autopilots, and a few have wind vanes already.

I'm quite excited and spent some time looking boats up. Looks like Plymouth and wider surrounding is the place for me. These are my two favorites so far (partly stretching my budget), but there are about 10 more on my list:

https://www.boatshed.com/nicholson_32-boat-240226.html

https://www.boatshed.com/morgan_gile...at-234577.html

I'm planning to fly to England mid January, hire a car and look at some of them and hopefully buy one. Do you think the brokers will let me spend a night on board, or will I need to get accommodation? I'm just trying to save money as good as possible.

While I think I can assess the quality of all systems (rig, engine, electrics etc.) quite well by myself, I'm lacking experience with fiberglass. Do you think it's necessary to pay a surveyor for this, or will it be enough reading up on that topic, given that I'm not a completely unpractical person? There have already been quite good tips in this thread - anything else?

Also, are there any costs which might not be obvious to a newbie buyer like me? Will it be possible to negotiate, or is that uncommon in the broker world in the UK?

Thanks so far,
Phil
Hi Phil
Would you consider a Colvic Victor 35 cc .
Good sails , brand new auto-pilot , new prop and shaft last month .
She is out of the water now near Sete in the south of France .
Built in 1980 the keel is encapsulated with a thick lay-up to the hull .
If interested email me at bustermaw@gmail.com .

Always negotiate . The suggested price by the seller is just a starting position.
Best of luck
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 03:32   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for old but sturdy 25-30ft blue water cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
30 ft is 9.14 meters.
32.5 is 9.9 meters
I was not trying for conversion accuracy..
The important point I wanted to get across was keep it under 10metres as it can save one upto and over 1000 euros a year in marina fees than a boat that's 10.01 metres.
Some have been known to measure boats and its not just LOD.. they will include overhangs like anchors and arches/davits.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 04:04   #60

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
When I was researching what I wanted my next boat to be (bearing in mind it was to be a liveaboard, I looked at lots of boats from 27 to 33 feet. I was looking at older types of boats, as I had a definite fixed budget, so was looking at Rival 32's, Elizabethan 29's, and so on. In the end up, I settled on an LM27, as although shorter in overall length to the others, the space inside was surprisingly good for a 27 footer. And it also saves quite a lot in marina fees, so maybe the old adage of getting the smallest boat you'd be comfortable living on applies? As per the pics posted by Pete, the whole boat is useable space (mine has pilot house doors mind you). In summer the cockpit is alfresco dining and lounging (maybe I jest, OK a few days in Scotland LOL) and in winter it becomes my entrance porch, where shoes and wet gear gets dumped.

I'll be honest, it's not a style of boat I initially could see myself in, but it is working out really well, and she CAN ACTUALLY SAIL! No windward beast in terms of pointing, but every boat is going to be a trade off...

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get across is not to dismiss some of the shorter contenders in trying to stay under 10 metres...
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cruise, cruiser, water