Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2008, 13:52   #1

Advice on boats to buy

I'm considering buying a boat, and am looking for advice. I've got my eye on the Rhodes Meridian 25 and the Alberg 30. I'm looking for a boat that:

1. I can get my sea-legs in (I haven't done much sailing)
2. I can singlehand
3. I can take to the Bahamas with it's shoals
4. I can also eventually make offshore passages with.

These two boats seem like they could do all of the above. I'm curious about whether the Alberg is too much boat to singlehand, and whether its 4' draft would be okay in the Bahamas; and also whether the Rhodes could handle an offshore passage--it seems like more of a weekender. As you can tell, I like the traditional boats, and am open to suggestions for other boats of this type. (Oh, my spending limit is around $15k.) Thanks for the advice.
charlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:23   #2

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a Rhodes Meridian. But, a few years ago there were a number of Albergs cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean. You should not have much trouble single handing a 30' boat. If the running rigging lines do not all lead to the cockpit, they can be easily modified. By reputation Albergs are strong classic boats. A 4 foot draft would be ideal in the Bahamas - it’s amazing how many anchorages are supposed to be 6-8', but actually turn out to be 5. However, these are old boats - condition is more important than design.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:23   #3

Boat: San Juan 28
Minus the Bahamas part, I have the same criteria for my future boat. I will be watching this thread closely!
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:31   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
This question has been ask on the board oh maybe a hundred times. Try a bit of searching and you will probably find enough info to keep you reading for the next week or two.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 21:54   #5

Boat: Cal 36
I wouldn't go with anything under 30 feet.

I have a 36' Cal for $12,000. It's in the classified section. And a 30' Pearson for $3,000.
Captkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 13:33   #6

The 30' Alberg and Pearson, and even the 36' Cal should be no problem for singlehanding. A boat's ability to single hand is a function of the setup and your own ability. Assuming of course that the boat is sound, well balanced, etc.

I've gotta run now, but I'll post some additional comments later.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 16:30   #7

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesh View Post
I'm considering buying a boat, and am looking for advice. I've got my eye on the Rhodes Meridian 25 and the Alberg 30...
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesh View Post
These two boats seem like they could do [it] (Oh, my spending limit is around $15k.)
For a Rhodes restoration, see: http://islandsailingadventures.com/info/rhodes.htm

No reason either of these couldn’t take you where you want to go -- skipper dependant… The Alberg 30 is well known as a classic offshore cruiser – I think I recently reread an account where it sailed so well, the skipper ditched the Atomic 4 for storage… these slack bilged, substantial vessels won’t win too many races against the flyweights, but the motion is gentle (for their length) and the ballast ratios tend to give confidence once the wind pipes up… I suspect you knew all that…

Of course, the most important consideration is the condition of the boat… unless you happen to come across a recent restoration (with the accompanying price premium) the first order of business is a stem to stern personal inspection (not to be confused with a survey, although that is not a bad idea either…). But with some serious shopping, some equally serious buying restraint and major scrounging (forget the retail chandlery…) of essentials (only), you may get very close to your $15K target, for the first little while – contemporary boating lore to the contrary…
Old 22-04-2008, 18:13   #8
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
You might look at a newport 30....I have seen some in that price range...it can be single handed and do the bahamas..and she is fairly forgiving.....Good Luck
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:46   #9

I wouldn't sail a Newport 30 to the Bahamas. I just spent the winter in Marsh Harbor area. My choice would be the Alberg or an Allied 32. Both have a good sea motion.
kargin is offline   Reply With Quote