Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 22:19   #16

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Marty,

Every boat that has been closed up without adequate ventilation will smell until she is cleaned / aired out, including yours. So don't get overly concerned about that.

Do NOT buy without a survey by a pro - that brown ring and the dings on the keel could indicate a boat that had been sunk. And as it is comes on a trailer of course you should have a sea trial.

Many years ago I bought a boat without a survey and rued the day. Recently I bought my 5th, and biggest, boat with the help of a great surveyor who taught me a great deal about the boat and pointed out features that allowed me to negotiate a better price.

This year's sailing season is drawing to a close - great time to buy - so don't rush but find the best boat you can afford.

Have fun!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:28   #17

Boat: PSC 31
Price seems about right to me if boat passes inspection. My first boat was Hunter new 1985 23.5 and now I'm on my 4th boat - Pacific Seacraft. I only had it about 2 years but hauled it to several Great Lakes and learned what I wanted in a boat (anything but a Hunter). Not trying to discourage you as it was seaworthy for my needs and was easily sold a couple years later. Sometimes you have to learn for yourself. I say go for it. Sounds perfect for your situation.
stevemac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:44   #18

For comparison, we gave $6500 for our Hunter 19 when it was 6 years old and in almost new condition. In a water ballast, the first place that I would look for the source of odor would be the ballast tank. If small marine life dies in there, it can get ripe pretty fast. Opening the valve, and running water from a hose into the air vent for 20 minutes will solve the problem. A cup of bleach every month isn't a bad idea either. We keep dehumidfying chemicals in the boat when it is closed.

There are plenty of boats on that size range to choose from. The main advantages of the water ballast with swing keel is the shallow draft with keel up and low profile and light weight when trailering. If these attributes are important to you, this may be a good choice for you. If not, remember that every design feature has some drawbacks and there are plenty of other boat good boats out there. You will find a boat that you are happy with.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:01   #19

Boat: Delphia 37
Much thanks for the advice. I've managed, somehow, to get myself to pass of this boat... . I think if I read things correctly the best course of action may be to charter for a year or two and get my feet a little wetter so to speak or pickup a older ~ 27' fixed keel.

In general, are Hunters that bad of a boat? Seems to be a rather strong resentment on the net towards these boats. Just overall lower build quality?
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 16:13   #20

Hunters can be good or bad, depending on the design and when/where built. In my opinion, the motor boat/sailboat design simply sucks and at times is downright dangerous. It's sort of the duck - not a good flyer, not a good swimmer, can't run worth beans, biggest benefit is it can be in all three environments.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 16:31   #21
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
In general, are Hunters that bad of a boat? Seems to be a rather strong resentment on the net towards these boats. Just overall lower build quality?
not sure what else there is out there for 10K but keep looking. your season is about over anyway .. lots of time to consider options.
Old 04-10-2007, 19:49   #22

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I considered a few hunters in my search for a boat. The general feeling I got was that there were some models of hunters from some time periods which were better than others. Some of the really bad ones, the worst of which I've heard said you could actually see silhouettes through the fiberglass hull because it was so thin and that it would flex with just the push of a finger.

I'm sure there are some decent hunter boats, but it's my belief that the name carries more weight than the quality of the boat actually does. You hear the name hunter alot, and as they say, there's no such thing as bad advertising.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:14   #23

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Thumbs up

in my own humblest of opinions, think most of us believe you could get into a much better boat than THAT one, for the money you seem willing to invest and also think you will come to see you made a wise decision to continue you're search. the bug can be quite painful, when there is no vessel to treat the wound. gosh, i hated the feeling of knowing there was a craft out there for me, but i just couldn't find it. but when i did.... life changed, and the patience(though tough as it was)was worth it.

good luck and keep us up on the skinny...
Old 05-10-2007, 12:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearphish View Post
the bug can be quite painful,

LOL, yes so true. I had a thought today- "Geez, I can't image going through next summer without a boat!"
Old 08-10-2007, 10:10   #25

Hunter Quality

As far as Hunter quality goes, IMHO, they turned out a few substandard boats in the early 80's. My professional captain buddy told me of a fifty something foot Hunter being delivered new back then that he could push in the hull with his hand. I do believe that all of the production boats now are doing a fairly decent layup job and produce a decent boat. Hunter does attract a lot of first time owners IMHO, because they add a lot of flashy interior features that look good at boat shows. Having said that, I believe that they build a good boat. The Cherubini designed Hunters were stronger and make a decent passage boat, IMHO.

Having said that, I was out on a Hunter '41 in the Gulf and Galveston Bay (just got back last night) - I was using the bow head while standing up. We came down hard on a wave and it smacked my head up against their cheap junk light fixture with the little piece of plastic on the switch fallen off. It drew blood and looks like someone stabbed my head with a paper straighted out paper clip. If you are tall, watch for sharp objects on the ceiling of the cabin. Ouch.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Marty,
For example, and I know this isn't what you are looking for, I bid on a 1966 Bristol 32 listed on eBay. They are great coastal cruisers and very strong. It needed some cleaning up, some paint and the engine needed to be gone through.
It just sold this morning for $3751.00.
Good deals are out there.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33   #27

I've been watching eBay here and there, would you guys ever bid on a boat you have never seen?

Hope you head heals up Tex!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57   #28

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Marty,
If you are a bit new to boats it would be best to take someone with experience with you to look or get a recent copy of a survey on the boat before bidding. There are certain production boats that are nearly all the same and barring being sunk or dropping off a trailer or a lift have value. If you are handy you can fix nearly anything.
Again, it would be best to see the boat before bidding. Remember that the value of anything is what you are willing to pay, not what a broker tells you or what the seller wants. Brokers and sellers know that boats are things that sailors fall in love with and just have to have so they start with high prices hoping they'll catch someone who can't resist.
Good luck in your search!!
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 14:48   #29

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Seems fairly high. Newer is not always the best option, as older boats (from the mid 60's to late 70's) are more heavily constructed. Hunters have very thin hulls compared to the "tanks" of yesteryear. To get rid of the stink, just air it out, replace fabrics and give it a good washdown with a very diluted bleach solution to kill mold. Paint and varnish. I got my first boat (a 23 footer from 1981) for 2k with 5 sails in good condition and a 10hp engine. It can be trailered and only drafts 2ft. Check out North American 23's for sale and you can probably find one for cheap. The aging population is also yielding some incredable buys for sailboats. People die = you can buy a good sailboat from the widdow (or other family member) for cheap as dirt. Just got my new one for 17k and it is a 41 footer with a rebuilt engine and all working systems. Had to look for 2 years for that one. Dont jump on the first boat you see and expect to double the cost in repairs and you can have a very nice boat for cheap.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 20:01   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post

Having said that, I was out on a Hunter '41 in the Gulf and Galveston Bay (just got back last night) - I was using the bow head while standing up. We came down hard on a wave and it smacked my head up against their cheap junk light fixture with the little piece of plastic on the switch fallen off.
Ouch!

When at sea; Sit to pee.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter