Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 13:11   #16

Re: Advice on first sailboat

I am with those who advise caution.

If you are on a budget you need to look at running costs; marina fees, haul-out, winter storage...

Learning as you go along by single-handing a 30' is not the best way. Single-handing the boat into a marina berth on a windy day will be difficult. Hiring a personal coach is not cost-effective.

There are a number of other routes you could take. I was a member of chesapeakesailclub.com based in Deltaville and I highly recommend them. You can sail with other members, or take your family cruising.

If you want to buy, consider going smaller. Almost any yacht longer than 22' will handle 3 people for a long weekend, and a 25' would be a lot easier to handle at close quarters.

Good Sailing, M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 13:19   #17

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhh2 View Post
..........1994 Hunter 295 $29k. Looks nice upgrades repair to sails and motor. No hour # on the original yanmar motor.............
What do you mean by "repair to sails and motor"? If the sails have been repaired they are likely already blown out and need replacement, albeit they are not expensive for that size boat and will add value on resale. What repairs have been made t the motor?

I am unclear what the reference to a re-power above was based on but that could easily cost $30,000+ for a small hp engine for these size boats. Hopefully, none of the boats you are looking are require a re-power due to water damage.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 14:07   #18

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Of those boats, I've sailed the Tartan 31. Capable coastal cruiser; handles well in a breeze, nice touches below to utilize available space on a 31-footer.

Not sure it's a my-first-boat to sail singlehanded. How old are your daughters? Having gone out as a grade schooler with my dad as he was learning to sail, I don't recommend that. Things go awry quickly, and you need to be prepared for them. I specifically remember a time when my dad stepped off the boat with a spring line that was poorly tied on. It came loose while I and my little brother were on board and my dad on the dock. The boat drifted from the dock, and we weren't able to start the outboard motor. In the end, someone sent a diver after us. Luckily it was a large, calm, safe harbor.

I definitely would not go bigger than than 31, but I'd recommend something at the low end of your range if you are dead-set on sailing solo with kids and little experience. (If your daughters are skilled sailors, apologies in advance for the oversight.)

Heavier boats as a general rule are more forgiving at sea but not in port. The mere act of docking solo in a breeze becomes exponentially more difficult as you add a few thousand pounds; similarly, bigger boats with higher freeboard are more susceptible to the forces of nature when you're slowing down at the dock.

I'm not going to necessarily push ASA classes on you, but finding adults to sail with wouldn't be a bad idea. There oughta be a few of them on the Chesapeake.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:55   #19

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Have you thought about a trailer sailor for a first boat? Low cost, outboard motor, simple and lightweight. I have a MacGregor 25, Pearson 30, Downeaster 38.
Of those, the MacGregor is the easiest to handle, docking. The Downeaster with its bowsprit is a bit more challenging alone.

I have sailed the MacGregor into its slip or up to a dock with no stress. The M-25 has a cast iron swing keel, no water ballast. The 26 footers are water ballasted I have never sailed on one of them, so I can't say.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 20:45   #20

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
Have you thought about a trailer sailor for a first boat? Low cost, outboard motor, simple and lightweight. I have a MacGregor 25, Pearson 30, Downeaster 38.
Of those, the MacGregor is the easiest to handle, docking. The Downeaster with its bowsprit is a bit more challenging alone.

I have sailed the MacGregor into its slip or up to a dock with no stress. The M-25 has a cast iron swing keel, no water ballast. The 26 footers are water ballasted I have never sailed on one of them, so I can't say.
Not a bad choice for what you want to do, Markh2. The MacGregor's motor is powerful enough to get you out of trouble, and get you where you want to go if you get tired of sailing (or the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.)

Some of my loved ones hate sailing, so we just putter out to the islands, anchor and grill. That's a nice option to have for a family.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 20-03-2021, 11:54   #21

Wow. Thanks for all the useful input. After doing a lot more research etc. I made an offer on a ‘91 Catalina Capri 26. It’s a freshwater boat with a low hour Universal Diesel engine and a tiller. I’ve also enrolled in a 4 day ASA 101/103 course on the Chesapeake.
Markhh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhh2 View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the useful input. After doing a lot more research etc. I made an offer on a ‘91 Catalina Capri 26. It’s a freshwater boat with a low hour Universal Diesel engine and a tiller. I’ve also enrolled in a 4 day ASA 101/103 course on the Chesapeake.
Looks like fun. That's a good start to your sailing life. Fair winds! Send pictures.
Old 13-07-2021, 04:34   #23

Boat: Macgregor 26X
Send a message via Skype™ to dlandersson

No idea how this worked out, but if the OP is till looking, a Macgregor 26X or 26M can often be had (when you can find one for sale) for $13 or $20 K.

Both are good boats for learning how to sail. A plus, they are stuffed with foam and will not sink if holed (which I've never heard of happening in 20 years).

Just a thought.
dlandersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 05:53   #24

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Of what he listed, the Catalina 30 tall rig would be my choice, provided the engine starts. If there is any question on reliability, get towboat insurance. It's fairly cheap, and it pays for itself the first time the blonde twit at the fuel dock puts gasoline in your diesel tank. There is good availability of used parts for the Catalina and there should be no issues finding decent used sails or something if needed. It being cheap, I'd look carefully for rot and soft spots; but it would be a good start on a well mannered boat.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 11:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
I am with those who advise caution.

If you are on a budget you need to look at running costs; marina fees, haul-out, winter storage...

Learning as you go along by single-handing a 30' is not the best way. Single-handing the boat into a marina berth on a windy day will be difficult. Hiring a personal coach is not cost-effective.

There are a number of other routes you could take. I was a member of chesapeakesailclub.com based in Deltaville and I highly recommend them. You can sail with other members, or take your family cruising.

If you want to buy, consider going smaller. Almost any yacht longer than 22' will handle 3 people for a long weekend, and a 25' would be a lot easier to handle at close quarters.

Good Sailing, M
Couldn't agree more. I was a member of a club for six years and learned A LOT while also saving a bunch of money. It's really nice to be able to focus on learning and enjoying the sailing aspect of sailing without worrying about the maintenance aspect.

I'd also recommend that you crew on a race boat if you can swing it. Find the right boat, one with a captain and team that is fun to sail with, and you'll learn a lot about sail trim, boat handling, and generally how to work with others when sailing which is harder than it sounds.
lonecapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 11:55   #26

I've done something like that last year. I bought the boat, took ASA class, got on the boat and started to enjoy it with my family. I did hire ASA instructor who was leading our group classes for several days to come out and help me get used to our boat. He taught me docking, single handling it, gave lots of tips and useful input. Ended up a very inexpensive way to get the hang of it. Plus the insurance required a licensed captain to sign off on the skills before I could go solo.

We found a nice Beneteau 323 within our budget, but it needed some minor work (typical for any boat). I've made the upgrades, cleaned it up and now it's even more fun to be on.

My recommendation - get the boat that you like, but make sure it requires as little work and upgrades as possible. It ends up being cheaper (since people typically don't recoup what they put into parts or labor when they sell. This will allow you to enjoy it more instead of wrenching, fixing, upgrading. The novelty of the boat can wear off very fast if it is more of a chore than joy.

Other suggestions:
- negotiate. worst case the answer will be "no". Best case - you get a better deal
- make sure to get a survey and insist on identified items being fixed or ask for a discount
- don't rely on surveyor to catch everything (he won't). Do your own due diligence, operate every switch, test every device, tug and pull on things, look into nooks and crannies.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 12:56   #27

I see nothing wrong with getting a 30ft and learning in protected waters. You're not planning a circumnavigation. Take the ASA course and have an instructor for a bit - also find an experienced sailor who will sail with you at first - they are everywhere. Do trips with them but without the family so you can get confident. Crew takes their cue from the skipper. You want to seem completely calm and in control with the family aboard.

The only rule is pick your weather. Don't let your family have ta first year experience in a high wind or you might never get them on the boat again. If the weather is less than perfect, just have a picnic in the slip. Also for the first year leave the dock with a reef in the mainsail. Going 1/4 knot slower because of a reef isn't a problem - but being overpowered and the boat heeled way over will not build confidence with your family

As to the boat, the best boat is the one that had the best owner who took the most care of it. Especially for a first time owner. I'd ask to have a call with the owner with some questions. When I've sold my boats I've always been happy to have such a call. What you are looking for is an owner who will bore you to tears on the phone with all the stuff he's fixed and upgraded on the boat. Best of all is an owner who doesn't want to sell but his wife is making him because she's afraid he's too old to be safe single handing.

I'd lean towards the Tartan because they are very high quality boats and they tend to be bought by more experienced sailors who maybe owned a hunter and wanted to "move up". I also think the 31 is a very attractive boat (in a traditional way). Personal opinion but I think the Hunter is ugly. A boat designed to sell well at boat shows.

I'd cross the Cartalina 30 off your list because a good owner would never have a "beat" interior.

And shipping a boat from Ohio is expensive and not worth the trouble when you have other good options.

Your description of the Tartan sounds like her owner might be the sort of maintenance obsessed PO you want.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, sail, sailboat