Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 17:49   #1

Advise from the more seasoned sailors

Hello,

Id like to get some words of wisdom for everyone out there. I've done about 2 years sailing (cruising and teaching sailing) in the Caribbean on 40-50' sailing cats while i was in college. I've always been attracted to the lines of Formosa's and Hudson Force 50's and really like the layout of the interiors. My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to the Seattle area and want to live on a sailboat. I ideally would like to live on something like a HF50. Our plan would be to live aboard and do some cruising. what are the pro's and con's. What are your thoughts and advice?

Cheers!

Justin
SlackWater87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Advise from the more seasoned sailors

If you like to sail forget the Taiwan Turkeys in the PNW. You are looking at an area that has light winds for most of the summer. Those old Ed Monk rip offs just wallow in the sea in less than 10k of wind. Had the pleasure of trying to deliver a CT41 from LA to SF. Gave up after the engine failed and it took nearly a week to sail the 100 or so miles to Santa Barbara.

They are cheap for the displacement and make good liveaboards but you will be paying for a much larger slip than the interior volume would justify because of the bowsprit and clipper bow.

They are also high maintenance boats. Many have wooden masts that you have to stay on top of or risk rot. The early ones especially were leakers but most of those bad ones have probably rotted out by now. The interiors were exquisite with some really intricate carving.

If you like the Taiwan Boats would look at Hans Christian, Union, etc and if you want a really good sailing boat, Peterson/Formosa 44 and 46.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 19:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Boats of that type are referred to as Leaky Teaky and for a good reason.

If you think the look is worthwhile and don't mind spending a lot of time messing with woodwork and varnish and don't care about performance then it might work for you.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 19:45   #4

I’m not partial to Taiwanese boats. I just really like traditional lines on boats and clipper bows are beautiful. As for sailing I’m not looking to go anywhere fast. I had my fun with that when I was in the Caribbean. I’d like to get something Witt traditional lines that’s comfortable to live and cruise on.
SlackWater87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Justin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:10   #6

Boat: Cal-40

Helped a good friend who had a Taiwanese built boat fix some deck problems. What had happened was water had introduced into the deck core materials between the fiberglass skins. The topsides had teak coverage and needed to be removed. In doing so what we discovered was about 10% of the pre drilled holes that were to hold the teak to the deck had screws missing. So it seems that in the factory some low wage employees just drilled holes and never installed fasteners then just hid the dishonest work with wood plugs. Years later these holes allowed water to enter and the results was a big job to repair. Imagine the employees going home with pockets of stainless screws as part of their pay and the future boat owners pay the cost.
Not saying avoid Chinese products but...... quality control is less then desirable.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:06   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I've always liked the looks of them, they are inexpensive and a great live aboard. Many early sailboats share the same maintenance problems which the surveyor should point out. The bowsprit will add to your slip fees. A more modern lighter boat will sail better, but in light winds all boats need light wind sails like a code 0, and what difference does it make when you're sunday sailing with friends anyway? I've seen them cruising around the world as all boats go downwind just fine. If you asked about Hunters, Bavarias, or Beneteus, you'd find the same naysayers debating their quality.
Do it and enjoy!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:04   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am not a seasoned sailor but I surveyed a Mason 43 last week and she has the classic looks and tons of room inside.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa...925454738.html
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 17:47   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Tubs but pretty to some eyes. You want a boat that will fuel the dream. So just go out and get a HF50 then.

Mind how much you are into maintenance - a 50' boat can be a hell of hours to maintain. Now some sailors like this, others prefer sailing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:32   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

No one has said a word to u about slip availability I the Seattle area. Before u put your marker down on a big boat like that make sure you understand where she be slipped. I’m from San Francisco and it ain’t no joke trying to get a live aboard slip. I’ve heard similar situations exist in Seattle area.

There is a huge difference in finding a slip for a boat and finding a slip that allows live aboard status. Do not UNDERESTIMATE that difference. Perhaps some CF members who live in that area will jump in and add information.

You are asking seasoned sailors to weigh in. A beautiful woman can seduce a man. It doesn’t mean she will be the right woman for you. You may love the look of the Taiwanese boats but many seasoned sailors are telling you that they are expensive as hell to maintain and have poor sailing qualities. So why not look at boats that are much better built and are decent sailors?

You’ve heard multiple people respond with “leaky” boats. Seattle has so many rainy days. Wind in the winter time is brisk. Ai Ya.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:59   #11

In the PNW you are motoring anyway. It will work great as a live aboard. When it blows, it blows and the boat will move. But getting from destination to destination, with tides, current and swirling low winds in the sunny season, you aren't getting anywhere without the engine. When it blows hard in the direction you want to go, then sail.
Liveaboard could be tough in the Seattle area. But more remote it can be easier. I lived aboard in Seattle for years with no official slip. I subletted a slip. The marina allowed slip owners to sublet their slips for up to 5 months a year. Sometimes I only had to move a few slips on the same dock every 4-5 months.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackWater87 View Post
I’m not partial to Taiwanese boats. I just really like traditional lines on boats and clipper bows are beautiful. As for sailing I’m not looking to go anywhere fast. I had my fun with that when I was in the Caribbean. I’d like to get something Witt traditional lines that’s comfortable to live and cruise on.
There are Tai boats and there are Tai boats. Some are far better than others. Just make sure you know that when you buy.
Ta Shing was so good that they ended up only building mega yachts, measly 50 footers weren't enough incentive anymore. I don't know many US builders who built that quality. Maybe someone like Morris Yachts or Hinckley.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail