Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 23:26   #136

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

By the way there is now a Carbineer appreciation page on Face Book if anyone wants a look
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 03:39   #137

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

Re Genoa Track Bolts:
Have decided to get new bolts and re-fit per original set up. Will use commercially available 316 s/s M8 by 200mm machine screws with slotted countersunk heads (even though these are fully-threaded v the originals with smooth shanks) . I will get the heads re-tapered to fit well inside the track. Total cost for 10 will be a thousand kiwis less than custom 2205 s/s bolts.
Next question:
How tight to tighten up on fitment, and should I tighten up a bit further a day or so later? Seems to me 1. its important not to squeeze out all the sealant (to keep water out and to reduce galvanic corrosion) ; 2. sideways thrust is absorbed by the stiffness of the bolt and the incompressibility of the sealant; 3. there upwards pull on the bolt is not a huge load; 4. Accordingly, the torque on the nut does not need to be very high, but just enough to hold the bolt from stretching too much, and the hole should not be opened out very much.
Thus, sealant under the washer is really bad (any compressibility of the sealant allows the bolt to move), and it's crucial not to move the bolt after it is first tightened up to avoid breaking the seal between it and the sealant (leaks being the issue once basic mechanical stability is achieved).
I will clean the bolts very carefully, treat with alcohol or somesuch, apply Sikaflex prime and then use quote a lot of Sikaflex 291.
Any comments or further advice?
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 04:01   #138

Sounds like you have it covered the only thing I would add is use the plastic grommets that seperate the track from the stainless & put a bit of the yellow primer stuff under the track . Take some pics of the job while your doing it& post . May come in handy for others later. I'm extending my track all the way to the transom so I can run my spinnaker sheet as far back as possible.
Mike
Old 28-08-2019, 02:01   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Sounds like you have it covered the only thing I would add is use the plastic grommets that seperate the track from the stainless & put a bit of the yellow primer stuff under the track . Take some pics of the job while your doing it& post . May come in handy for others later. I'm extending my track all the way to the transom so I can run my spinnaker sheet as far back as possible.
Mike
Will do. Do you have a source for those grommets?
Keith
Old 29-08-2019, 04:30   #140

Do you mean like these for under the track screws? There are a couple of different sizes for Ronstan track. These are in a pack of 20.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 19:00   #141

Boat: Carbineer 46

Gday Guys Im Nate and the new proud owner of Voyager the Carbineer 46

Shes an old girl but god shes beautiful

Needs tones done but would love some advise
NateUrSailaMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 20:02   #142

I have so Many questions hopefully I don't overwhelm you all.

If anyone is in around Sydney and could come have a look at her with me, it would be muchly appreciated

So lets get in to it.
1. Im thinking about replacing the old autopilet, i think its the original that came with the boat. Any suggestions on what brand to go with next?

2. I have a bunch of orginal B&G gear on there thats very out dated, All is being replaced with the latest and greatest B&G equipment. Anyone running with B&G at the moment?

3. I have an old Boat phone that is up for sale if anyone is looking for one?

4. Has anyone else had a 240v power problem, Mine keeps tripping the shore circuit breaker, if you've had a similar problem, I'd love to hear it?

5. Has anyone upgraded the 12v system, did you keep it all in the same power board location or did you move it to a new location?

6. I think Voyager was made to servey has anyone else heard this and has anyone got one in servey?

7. re-rigging has anyone done it yet? How much and where? Im thinking about using Joe Walsh, his quote is between $15k - $18K
Also Im thinking about adding mast steps, has anyone else done this?

8. Sails, mine are quite old and I think the spiniker needs replacing, any suggestions on this topic are would be great or referances?

9. (im 31yo so excuse my ignorance) What is that round thing on the port forward window. have you used it? does it help? is it nessecary? can you get parts for it? is it worth keeping or removing for a better view?

10. Onen Genorator, my Alternator part of my generator had recently cought fire, its big and bulky and I can't get to a pump behind it to service. Has anyone replaced theirs and with what?

I might leave it at that for now.

I am planning a full refit so if you need any of the old stuff Ill be happy to chat.
Old 17-08-2020, 20:11   #143

One more actually

Has anyone considered changing over from the Volvo Diesel to an electric Motor?
More an more boats are doing it and Im considering it...

Also to service the Volvo how much are we looking at... full service Hoeses, filters, oil and empty the diesel tanks clean and refill?

ok ok ill leave it at that
Old 17-08-2020, 21:14   #144
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateUrSailaMate View Post
I have so Many questions hopefully I don't overwhelm you all.

If anyone is in around Sydney and could come have a look at her with me, it would be muchly appreciated

So lets get in to it.
1. Im thinking about replacing the old autopilet, i think its the original that came with the boat. Any suggestions on what brand to go with next?

2. I have a bunch of orginal B&G gear on there thats very out dated, All is being replaced with the latest and greatest B&G equipment. Anyone running with B&G at the moment?

3. I have an old Boat phone that is up for sale if anyone is looking for one?

4. Has anyone else had a 240v power problem, Mine keeps tripping the shore circuit breaker, if you've had a similar problem, I'd love to hear it?

5. Has anyone upgraded the 12v system, did you keep it all in the same power board location or did you move it to a new location?

6. I think Voyager was made to servey has anyone else heard this and has anyone got one in servey?

7. re-rigging has anyone done it yet? How much and where? Im thinking about using Joe Walsh, his quote is between $15k - $18K
Also Im thinking about adding mast steps, has anyone else done this?

8. Sails, mine are quite old and I think the spiniker needs replacing, any suggestions on this topic are would be great or referances?

9. (im 31yo so excuse my ignorance) What is that round thing on the port forward window. have you used it? does it help? is it nessecary? can you get parts for it? is it worth keeping or removing for a better view?

10. Onen Genorator, my Alternator part of my generator had recently cought fire, its big and bulky and I can't get to a pump behind it to service. Has anyone replaced theirs and with what?

I might leave it at that for now.

I am planning a full refit so if you need any of the old stuff Ill be happy to chat.
Probably can help you. I’m near you in Sydney. email me with your phone number. d.henry@allmen.com.au
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 00:12   #145

Interesting article for you -

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2012/january-2012/My_love_affair_with_Ketchup_a_Carberneer_46#.Wm-9T3yYMyU

Sorry,Does not link. Maybe see if Afloat have in their archives.

I think Voyager was owned by one of the Lasky brothers, who owned the Company that built them.

the CARBERNEER 46, was built in Australia.(1979-1989 - 16 built.) The name was changed slightly from the Moody 'Carbineer' in order to escape paying extra royalties. Sometimes also published as Carbeneer.

Have some more info that I can send you if you post your email.
Ianau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 21:56   #146

Hi All, All of us in Australasia would probably sound really smug if we told the rest of the world about our last summer’s sailing exploits, but now it’s winter here and all of you others are into summer. I hope you manage to stretch your wings and get to visit some interesting places; Greece seems to be opening up nicely and we down here will have to put up with stories of great nights in Greek tavernas and crews swimming in turquoise waters.
Does anyone else have a big engine-driven sea-water pump? I have what seems to be a Jabsco pump on the port side of my port engine. Outlet pipes are led to a locker by the mast and to an outlet on the inside face of the coaming which extends aft from the companionway bulkhead. Anyone got experience of these and whether they are worth keeping?
I have pulled out my old Pinta autopilot motor and also the two old B and G autopilot controllers. The previous owner was keen on having back-up systems, so I have now lost that redundancy. I removed the Pinta because the control system was a wonderful collection of relays and switches (a complexity waiting for corrosion and very power-hungry) (and this itself was a replacement for the original compass card direction sensor - ie with holes in the card, some light bulbs and light-sensitive switches, something out of the 1800s).
Does anyone have experience of installing two electro-hydraulic pumps, each able to drive the one ram mounted onto the rudder shaft? If so, I can contemplate having a second system with just the one point of failure (the ram itself and the hydraulic pipes/reservoir). I fitted the Simrad/ B and G NAC-3 computer/ compass/rudder feedback system with a Simrad 48 control unit, which I am keeping totally independent from my other electronics at the moment, but if I had two such systems I would interface one. This is noticeably, but not radically, more efficient than the older B and G ACP units.
Has anyone else had malfunctions of those rubber membrane winch control buttons? I had a winch burn out through water ingress into one of these, so I have fitted circuit breakers close to each winch and always click these off before I leave the boat and can do so at night if rain is forecast (I have also had an electric furler switch itself on during a dark wet night and unwind and rewind the genoa in the wrong direction until the sheets jammed the system and it overloaded (in my aft cabin I didn’t hear what was going on). I am similarly careful about the anchor winch.....
Best wishes to all,
Keith
Old 09-06-2021, 03:58   #147

Hi Keith
I have a big jabsco engine driven pump its a powerful bilge pump & my deck wash . I had it rebuilt recently with new seals & bearings.
Mike
Old 11-06-2021, 00:31   #148

Hi Mike, I can find no identifying numbers etc on mine - do you have any idea of what pump yours is?
Keith
Old 11-06-2021, 00:38   #149

Hi All, am looking for a replacement tachometer. have posted the following under Classifieds:
Looking for a VDO Tachometer. Reads to 3000 revs; model N 02040 305. Pics added to show one damaged and one as it should be. The issue is just the outer of the two lenses, so if someone has one in good physical shape but not working, that would be perfect! I would prefer if seller could ship it to NZ, otherwise I shall have to persuade a brother to receive it in the UK and get him to do the intl leg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	298F72BB-CD8D-427A-A330-F993268E72FE.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	240111   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE05A94F-3A73-42E9-9BD9-8816F6036728.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	240112  

Old 11-06-2021, 01:51   #150

Im in Kalgoorlie atm a bit far from the boat but I googled Jabsco pumps & found one that looked the same. I then gave the pump to a rural pump service shop in Lismore they rebuilt it like new total cost $300