Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 03:02   #16

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

Offer accepted deposit down. Sea Trials tomorrow morning & having fun touring Tassie in a camper van while we wait for it all to happen.
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 05:34   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmit5903 View Post
Built 1980 in Melbourne. 16 built in Oz at the Myer Laskey yard. Apparently cost $1m to build back then - sold for $800k. I think they are a bargain sub $200k so long as they have been kept up together.

Not sure where the doghouse ones were built - Sunchaser has a full saloon.

Buizen still fetching more but maybe in another 20 years they will be down with the Carbineers.

Also built in Europe.

Have a look at the article on "Ketchup" in Afloat magazine - available free online - sorry dont have link readily available.
The Moody Caribineers and other Laurent Giles designed Moodys like the Moody 52, Moody Grenadier, Culverneer, etc., were the premier "gentleman's" sailing yachts of that era, and are absolutely gorgeous. They cost a fortune in their day and very often have been maintained in top condition by their "gentlemen" owners. They command remarkably high prices today and in my opinion are worth every penny.

Just keep in mind that they were not designed with sailing performance in mind (this was before Bill Dixon took over). They are closer to motor sailers, mostly ketch rigged, and some even have twin engines. They have the raised saloons later popularized by Oyster, and some have proper pilot houses. The interiors are really elegant and they are built like brick outhouses.

Lovely boats. In some ways, they are the English Hinckleys, except that they are less retro, less sailing oriented, and with much better interiors. But the target audience and build standard was very much the same.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 23:06   #18

Sea trials went well just a few things to fix . The hydraulic in mast furling is smooth as silk. With 9 knots of breeze we still managed 4.5 knots over ground. Not too bad with a dirty bottom.
Old 14-09-2015, 19:27   #19

Well now three weeks after sea trials & im still not on the water. Whoever fitted the Yanmar Deisel in Melbourne didnt do a very good job it was never fitted correctly. I found the rear mounts had collapsed and they were twisted in towards the engine. The current owners agreed to replace the mounts but now the flanges are miles out of alignment. Same Yanmar mounts as used previously so one can safely say it was not in line to start with. Now it looks like the engine beds will have to be lowered as there is no adjustment left in the mounts & even with the lower adjustment nut removed its still way out.
Lowering the beds is a big job requiring the engine to be lifted into the salon.
The hollow beds can be cut easily with a diamond saw new timber inserted with steel inset for tapping the mount bolts.
Its all time consuming meanwhile im enjoying staying in Hobart with some excellent Air B&B's . Hopefully the engineers & shipwrights agree on a solution today. We would all like to know who fitted the Yanmar to Katrina 3 back in 2003 .
Mike
Old 19-10-2015, 17:25   #20

Katrina III is looking good ,teak decks like new after i replaced 550 plugs & cleaned up using costic soda & Oxalic acid. The inner stays have been done & are now backed by a solid 6 mm stainless plate. New chains in my hydraulic furlers & denso taped all the fittings. New sails are happening in January when Doyles have a bit of time . Im currently looking at expanding my engine room ventilation. Im adding a jabsco 250 cfm blower to suck air out which is actually pulling air in through the vent by vacuum. My Yanmar 4LH-DTE uses around 600 cfm of air at 3200 rpm. Unfortunately the only vent to my engine room is a bit small & then a few hoses & conjutes have reduced its size even further. So I'm looking at adding another vent but where ? The current one is in the port side rear corner of the saloon. My blower will exit through the fillet starboard side of saloon entrance the piece that comes down at an angle. This doest leave anywhere i can see to add an extra vent . There is always the saloon seats but that would let a lot of noise into the cabin. Any ideas or pics of where your engine room is vented would be appreciated. I cant seem to post any pics of late unfortunately once uploaded i cant get back to this screen.
Mike
Old 18-12-2016, 22:36   #21

Boat: Carbineer 46

Hi,
I am in a process of purchasing Carbineer 46 yacht.
Could you please advise if there is something particular that I should pay attention to during inspection.
It's a ketch built in 1985. Generally is in good condition for boat 31 yo.

Regard
gavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavron View Post
Hi,
I am in a process of purchasing Carbineer 46 yacht.
Could you please advise if there is something particular that I should pay attention to during inspection.
It's a ketch built in 1985. Generally is in good condition for boat 31 yo.

Regard
Which one are you buying & where is it. Generaly they are a very tough boat built very well. Depending where you are I could possibly look at it for you. Otherwise get a good survey report done by a qualifed surveyor with a written report. If you pm me with your email . I can send you a survey so you know what to look for.
Old 19-12-2016, 02:58   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gavron.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 21:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Which one are you buying & where is it. Generaly they are a very tough boat built very well. Depending where you are I could possibly look at it for you. Otherwise get a good survey report done by a qualifed surveyor with a written report. If you pm me with your email . I can send you a survey so you know what to look for.
Hi Mike,

The yacht is in Sydney (Gladesville). Looks like it was built in 1984 not 1985 and used to be called "Burning Palms" now is "Bullwinkle"
Still waiting for the boat to be taken out of the water.

Greg
Old 19-12-2016, 21:33   #25

Smile Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gavron.
THANK YOU
Old 19-12-2016, 23:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavron View Post

Hi Mike,

The yacht is in Sydney (Gladesville). Looks like it was built in 1984 not 1985 and used to be called "Burning Palms" now is "Bullwinkle"
Still waiting for the boat to be taken out of the water.

Greg

Hi Greg,
Im on the Gold Coast yes i have heard of Burning Palms aka Bullwinkle.
Who's it listed with I haven't seen any adds on yachthub or boatsonline.
Mike
Old 20-12-2016, 13:39   #27

Quote:
Hi Greg,
Mike
Hi Mike,
Check yachthub for Carbineer 46 ketch.

Greg
Old 20-12-2016, 15:57   #28

Quote:
Hi Greg,
Mike

Hi Greg ,
Yes i found it. Yes its a nice boat has a different layout to mine . I have 9 berths with a V berth forward & second head/ shower opposite the galley. I have a full wood interior fit out as well & ladder transom.
Things to check
* lower rudder bush , nylon bush check for movement.
* Osmosis in rudder never seen any in the hulls of these but a few have had osmosis in the rudder. Obvious once it dries out & easy to fix.
* Engine alignment with a different engine than original fitted check all mounts & engine brackets. Listen for vibration rattles at low idle.
* Cutlass bearing for play
*Damage to under keel from grounding
* Anchor winch old Muir's unable to source parts require new gearbox & motor to fix.
*Anchor chain we have 100 m of 10 mm chain with a big Rockna anchor.
* autopilot if it has a cetrek pilot drive they are very strong & well built
But you need to get brushes made. You can contact me for more info on that if required.
*Engine room ventilation . I added a blower to my engine room it sucks hot air out dragging cool air in the fairly small intake behind the saloon. I can show you pics of my set up that exits air through a ss grill beside the cabin steps . My Yanmar uses 600 cuft of air per minute at cruise plus with generator running more air is required than can be sucked in naturally. This can cause heat build up & prevent your diesels running at full potential.
* You should have no leaks from the deck fittings with it being recaulked & all staunchings etc removed. But to check give her a good hose then check if any water has pooled in the bilge or along the stringers.
* Engine room insulation. My insulation was foam type it was breaking down & leaving a mess . I have now replaced it all with 45 mm foil sided self adhesive insulation.
Shower boxes, macerator, holding tank make sure these all work & are spotlessly clean , its not nice playing with previous owners dna. I had to fit a holding tank pump out system. This boat has one .
* Rigg check for corrosion around all stainless fittings , the mast support under the floor forward cabin check for corrosion .
Water tanks mine has inspection caps in both if same check for loose paint . I vacuumed my tanks out & found some paint peeling had partially blocked the pickup line causing the pump to run on longer than normal.
* Fuel tanks find out when they were last cleaned. I fitted new Racor filters recently to mine . The old CAV work well but are slow to change . The racors can be swapped in 30 seconds plus they have the water trap.
* I have a dripless shaft seal so no water in bilge. If you have same & bilge is wet find out why.
* I have same generator check coolant needs flushing/replacing every 12 months. Its heat exchanger is behind the engine difficult to inspect .remove covers & try & squeeze your head in there for a look.
If you turn the drain tap on front side of engine & nothing comes out it needs a flush badly. Check the hr meter is working thats very low hrs for age.

Thats about all i can think of that is common to these boats. They are built very strong & each boat was built to order hence the different internal fit out. They are solid glass hand layup with later boats possibly only mine that have a foam core deck. I have read that they cost around 1 million to build in the late 80,s . The closest thing to a new Buizen for a lot less money. Everyone who comes aboard our boat comments about our deck salon & the ability to see the world around us. Most yachts feel like a dungeon. Although they are a motor sailor they do sail exceptionally well we often achieve 8.5 knots under sail and motor sail at 8 knots with low revs. They are very comfortable in a sea and we recently crossed Bass Straight with no problems . I would recommend you have a survey done although its difficult to find a good surveyor in Sydney . I have heard most scribble a report on a piece of notepad. I can email a survey to you which will be a good guide if you do it yourself. One from my Surveyor in Tasmania on my boat , he has done all my boats . I have even flown him to Fiji for a week to survey my Moody 54. The other is one I did myself on a Gulf Star 60 I was looking at buying in Greece . The Gulf Star had lots of problems so its very detailed.
Hope it all works out they are great boats , what are your plans once you own her.
Mike
Old 21-12-2016, 09:29   #29

Had a Moody Carbineer for nearly fifteen years. It was one of the last built in the U.K. (1979) The company then went bust. It was a 46
The hull was laid up by Marine Projects and then fitted out by Moody. I believe the rights to the name were sold to an Australian company. Looking at the hull they appear almost identical but the internal design is different. New cost was about £120k
A really well found boat..not the fastest ... a cruise speed of about 7.5kts and a range of 1000nm using a Perkins 6354.
The early models were 44. I believe there were a couple made to order which were around 52ft.
Tyke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 23:13   #30

Hi Tyke 2,
Around 40 Carbineer's were built by Moody. The Australian boats were built by the Lasky yard in Melbourne. Only 15 were built , mine being the very last in 1990.
The Australian boats are Carberneer's a slight change in the name. This is because they only purchased 1 set of plans from Jack Laurent Giles and only paid royalties on that 1 set. The current owner of the rights to all Laurent Giles designs is aware of this.
The UK & Australian boats are almost identical. Moody & Marine Projects went on to produce many more boats. I had a Moody 54 built in 2001 by Marine Projects they also build the Princess range of Motor yachts.
Mike