Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 01:45   #31

Boat: Carbineer 46
Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

Many thanks Mike.
Tomorrow we are taking the yacht out of the water for a survey.
And I am taking your check list with me.

Greg
gavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 03:23   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tyke.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 15:01   #33

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

So how did the the survey go ?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	138532Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1482879705.579375.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	138533
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 22:39   #34

Well we will never know did Greg by the Carbineer or was he pipped by another eager cash buyer. One good thing to know is Carbineer's sell quickly . That one came on the marke & sold again before I even knew it was available. I do check regularly. Its not surprising really as they have all the features of a Buizen plus legendary sea keeping qualities of Laurent Giles designs along with exceptional build quality from the Lasky or Moody yard depending on where yours was built. I do wish Gavron would return to finish the story .
Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484116746.498600.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	139400
Old 11-01-2017, 06:42   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Well we will never know did Greg by the Carbineer or was he pipped by another eager cash buyer. One good thing to know is Carbineer's sell quickly . That one came on the marke & sold again before I even knew it was available. I do check regularly. Its not surprising really as they have all the features of a Buizen plus legendary sea keeping qualities of Laurent Giles designs along with exceptional build quality from the Lasky or Moody yard depending on where yours was built. I do wish Gavron would return to finish the story .
Mike Attachment 139400
What a beauty!

Laurent Giles' design s are sexier than Dixon's.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What a beauty!

Laurent Giles' design s are sexier than Dixon's.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	139463
They sure are look at those lines imagine the mould required to turn out this shape. Not a flat surface to be found shes all curves.
Old 22-01-2017, 02:13   #37

Hi all,
Happy New Year 2017!

Time is flying. Yes, now I am the owner of 1984 Carbineer 46. Survey went OK, no any major problems. Now I'm facing a huge task to become its Skipper. A big step from 34' Bavaria to 46’ Carbineer. As my son said: This is not a yacht, this is a ship. I knew every square inch of the Bavaria and I have to do the same with this one. Hope I can count that you will share your Carbineer experience.
The biggest task will be to make the electric system much simpler. Three different battery charges: one from engine alternator, one for shore power and one from genset – why? The yacht has Mastervolt Dakar 12/1500 charger/inverter. It can charge battery from shore power and genset. Engine alternator is charging battery through Mastervolt Alpha Plus and is bypassing the shunt. That way Power Management unit has no idea about a real status of batteries.
BTW: During test sails the alternator burnt out and was replaced with a new one.

Another task: rudder needs some attention (this is what I think, I need your opinion). This yacht has the hydraulic steering system and autopilot from CourseMaster. On the mooring, when the yacht is getting a side wave (e.g. from a passing powerboat) the ruder is making a “knocking sound".
Mike – you have mentioned to check the lower “rudder bush, nylon bush”. Is it a big job to replace it? Where I could get a rudder bush itself?

Greg
Old 22-01-2017, 02:33   #38

Good to hear you got it . Out to dinner will reply when I'm back onboard shortly[emoji482][emoji3][emoji106]
Old 22-01-2017, 02:49   #39

Old 22-01-2017, 03:54   #40

Ok the rudder bush mine has a solid SS block under the skeg in front of the rudder. It is held in by 2 bolts . Undo the bolts the block comes off and you can see the bush & the lower rudder hinge pin. If its original it will be made of nylon i had some difficulty removing it, think i cut it with a hack saw . I had a new bush turned up out of hard composite plastic stuff. Its what the shipwright guys recommended nylon is no longer used as it grows with age apparently. Cost me $50 for the bush fitted it myself easy job. My rudder moves around a lot at anchor so I tighten the friction at the pedestal when on the pick and I usually forget to release before i take off the next morning. This has lead to some interesting situations lol.
You may notice your Carbineer moves around a lot (yaws) on the pick while other boats sit nice & straight into current or wind. I sometimes put a bit of mizzen sail out to ease this .

The power board , you need shore power ,generator power & battery power. My boat doesn't have any inverter I don't really need one as my tv is 12 volt appliances are 240 volt. I run the generator for the electric stove at the same time the batteries charge & my eutectic fridge freezer pulls down. My extra danfoss fridge runs off 12 volt.

I just fitted a remote starter & timer switch that can start the generator automatically while Im off the boat. This is so if we are on the pick & go ashore for a day the fridge wont defrost. Works very well & has built in pre heat & warm up before turning on the 240v. Also has fault shut down & if it fails to start will try 3 times then give up.

I have also removed the shore / generator / off switch on the board & fitted an automatic change over switch so if i plug into shore power it automatically switches to shore. If I start the generator while on shore power it switches to generator with a 1/2 second drop .

I only have one big battery charger a Neptune thats fully automatic runs of shore or generator all automatic it runs all 3 battery systems house, main start & Gen start. It monitors & switches on & off each system as required. I also have the main engine alternator that is 85 amp , this also charges the main & house but I have not investigated how its done yet but it works well.
Compared to my Moody 54 this is a very simple electrical system the moody had 240,110,12 & 24 volt a nightmare .

Name:	IMG_5547.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	139931
Old 22-01-2017, 04:00   #41

Name:	IMG_2424.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	139933

The big Neptune charger under Port side salon seat.
Old 25-01-2017, 04:39   #42

Any other Carbineer / Carberneer owners out there ? I know of at least 2 in Hobart.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:18   #43

Last week I saw one Carbineer 46 "VOYAGER" on the mooring on Parramatta River, near Hunters Hill. Black masts, black strip all around hull. Originally from Melbourne, but now with NSW registration.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:34   #44

I think Voyager belonged to one of the Lasky Bros originally .
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57   #45

Here is an older version with the dog house currently for sale in Malaysia. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5679.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	140961