Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2017, 16:01   #46

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

Very nice Moody version for sale in France check out the interior a bit different from the Australian Lasky version. Engine room seems to have much less room.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975...3027731/France
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 22:47   #47
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48

Hi Gavron,
Burning Palms was in our family from 2002 until 2013. I am a Buizen 48 owner for sixteen years but I have sailed many miles on BP and still have many happy memories.
Without wanting to offend other Carbineers owners, you have bought the best Carbineer in Australia, maybe the world. At least it was in 2013. Anything you'd like to know?
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 23:09   #48

Hi DGH,
Well were does a sailor go after a Carbineer a Buizen of course. If I ever sell Katrina III it will be to buy a Buizen. I have my eye on one in Hobart Infinity but it will require a lotto win first. Havnt heard from Gavron since he purchased BP .
Do you know the history of Burning Palms when she was built what number hull. Mine is the last one ever made in 1990 & has the 9 berth arangement with forward V Berth 2 heads & showrs. Hydraulic in mast furling on both masts , Powered by 180 hp Yanmar with an Onan 6.5 kva generator.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:26   #49
DGH

Hi Moody Mike,
BP, or whatever is its current name, was originally Rumdoodle. Not sure of hull number but launch year was 1984. My son bought it from the second owner in Launceston in 2002.
Many refurbs and upgrades were carried out including a new 150HP Cummins engine. It has a 6.5kva Onan which I think was fairly standard, - reconditioned. Bow thruster was installed for greatly improved marina manoeuvrability. The rig is slab reefing and the new mizzen is taller than standard. The transom has been modified to include a fold down swim/boarding platform. A great deal of interior refinishing and changes in the forepeak to include a washing machine and head.
I'll try to attach a photo from about ten years ago - not sure if that will work??Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	142597
Cheers
Old 20-04-2017, 21:58   #50

On the move again Katrina III at QCYC tonight & tomorrow then heading North for Fraser Island & beyond.
Old 21-04-2017, 21:02   #51

Boat: Carbineer 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH View Post
Hi Gavron,
Burning Palms was in our family from 2002 until 2013. I am a Buizen 48 owner for sixteen years but I have sailed many miles on BP and still have many happy memories.
Without wanting to offend other Carbineers owners, you have bought the best Carbineer in Australia, maybe the world. At least it was in 2013. Anything you'd like to know?
Hi DGH,

It's very nice to hear from you and to learn about the yacht's history.
As you know, I have purchased BP in last days of December 2016. I am very pleased with this yacht. So far I did not find any nasty surprises. I can see that the yacht went through modifications which made it even more liveable.
In the next couple of years I want to prepare this yacht for a long stay aboard. Three major tasks that I can see must be addressed: Mezan rigging require attention - somebody did try to strengthen the attachment to the deck using a plywood. Not a very good job. The main mast had the same problem, but was fixed in a very professional way. Metal plates which join deck and bulkheads, a nice job.
The second problem is electrics. Anodes are going too quickly, which indicates an uncontrollable strong electric current. HF radio installation, antenna (Main Backstays) is cut off, thick copper wire in owners cabin is cut off as well. If you know anything on this subject, please let me know. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You mentioned washing machine? - oops it's gone. Any pictures how it was installed? The last thing on the list is fixing knocking sound coming from the rudder. I think the lower bush needs to be replaced. Any source of spare parts?
Hope I didn't ask too many questions...

Greg
gavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 21:28   #52

Hi Gavron ,
That rudder bush is a 1 hour job to remove & replace. Undo the two bolts in the metal base of the skeg . This is the bottom hinge pin of the rudder. When the pin comes off you can see the nylon bush which is pressed into the rudder . Remove the bush & get a new one turned up out of reinforced plastic not nylon. Any machine shop can do it . Mine cost $100 to make at a Marine engineering shop in Hobart. Give them the pin & the old bush to match it correctly . To remove the old nylon bush I used a hacksaw blade to cut it length ways first it then cam out very easily. When inserting the new bush I greased it & used a hydraulic car jack & some blocks of wood very carefully to press it in. While pressing make sure your not moving anything else only the bush. It should slip in easily but not loose. I will try to find a pic .
Old 21-04-2017, 21:42   #53

Heres a pic showing the hinge pin removed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6182.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	146006  
Old 22-04-2017, 04:48   #54

Boat: Carbineer 46

Hi Mike,

Nice to hear from you again. Hope that cyclone season didn't have much impact on you and your yacht. Thanks for your info about how to fix rudder bush. I understand that you have spent some time in Hobart. Can you recommend any particular marine over there? In my plans I want to sail to Hobart and spend a few months working on my yacht there.
Hope you will have a great time on Fraser Island.

Greg
gavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 05:08   #55

When you get to Hobart join the RYCT its not expensive you can then get a good cheap berth & the slipway is only $ 25 a day you will make some very good contacts. The best person to talk to arrange any work is the local shipwright Biggsy . Not his real name but thats what everyone calls him. Biggsy helped me do the new chain plates on Katrina III & lots of other jobs. He has a shed at POW bay, there is a ship lift & hardstand there as well . There is also a machine shop , they made my new rudder bush. There are lots of good boat tradies in Hobart easy to find just ask at the club. There are at least 2 other Carbineer's in town one even races.
Old 25-04-2017, 01:23   #56
DGH

Hi Gavron,
Not sure about any chain plate repairs but if I remember correctly the chain plates on both mizzen and main masts are just stainless steel u-bolts - probably adequate for the fairly short rigs if they are secured properly, as you say.
Last I saw, BP had an Icom HF fitted which I believe was operational. The washing machine was an LG washer-drier in the forepeak, port side. There should be some evidence of the plumbing and wiring?
Happy sailing
DGH
Old 17-05-2017, 10:59   #57

Now in Bundaberg anchored right in town. Great place to resupply groceries & do some maintenance. The city marina was wahed away in the floods along with the moorings so theres plenty of room to anchor now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6327.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	147947  
Old 17-05-2017, 12:50   #58
DGH

Moody Mike, Every cloud has a silver lining so you now have a beautiful moooring picture.
Old 01-07-2017, 18:57   #59

We are slowly moving up the coast. Now in Airlie Beach after visiting Lady Musgrave , Great Keppel, Scawfell ,The Percy & Whitsunday Islands.
We have been using the Spinnaker down wind a lot lately. The strong SE trades really suit the Carbineer with 15 to 20 knots we rarely use the engine. We have seen speeds of up to 9.5 knots over the ground under sail up here. Of course tides help but we regulaly get 8 knots SOG. We manage to keep up with or do better than a lot of the cats we meet. Next step is up to Magnetic Island then Hinchenbrook . Everything on the boat is working well although we have put a couple of sails in for some chaffe repairs to UV's here in Airlie at Doyles.
I have been free diving on the hull & cleaning her regurlarly to keep any growth at bay. We havent come across any other Carbineers since Pittwater but keeping our eyes out.
Look forward to hearing from other Carbineer owners.
Mike & Carolyn
Attached Files
Old 01-07-2017, 19:54   #60

Some pics Spinnaker & mizzen staysail up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	151069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	151070