Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 14:43   #106

Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

This one back on the market in Aus
Under $90K US
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...-design/212759
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:14   #107

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
...... Moody also made around 2/3 stretched versions at 52 ft . ...
Hi Mike.
7 or 8 52s were made by AH Moody. They do look very similar to the 44/46s, and have a very similar layout below decks, but they are a different boat in that the beam is 4.3 metres (rather than 3.72ms, which I believe the 44/46s have), and weigh somewhat over 3 tonnes more. That said, mine doesn't have a lot more usable accommodation than a 44/46; one aft cabin with a double berth, a mid cabin with one single (I removed the upper single as the cabin was just too cramped) and a not very large fore cabin with two v-berths with an infill.

Equilibre is now on the deck of the Sevenstar ship "Dolfijngracht", in the Arafura Sea just north of Australia en route to Auckland...
Keith
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:40   #108

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
This one back on the market in Aus

Under $90K US

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...-design/212759

Yes I know that one it lived in Mooloolaba for many years.
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:51   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw88 View Post
Hi Mike.

7 or 8 52s were made by AH Moody. They do look very similar to the 44/46s, and have a very similar layout below decks, but they are a different boat in that the beam is 4.3 metres (rather than 3.72ms, which I believe the 44/46s have), and weigh somewhat over 3 tonnes more. That said, mine doesn't have a lot more usable accommodation than a 44/46; one aft cabin with a double berth, a mid cabin with one single (I removed the upper single as the cabin was just too cramped) and a not very large fore cabin with two v-berths with an infill.

Equilibre is now on the deck of the Sevenstar ship "Dolfijngracht", in the Arafura Sea just north of Australia en route to Auckland...

Keith

just after I found Katrina III the previous owner of Union Pacific contacted me through the Moody Owners Association to see If I was interested in its purchase. It was very tempting but Scotland was along way to go for a few extra feet of boat.

So when you arrive in NZ what are your plans.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:25   #110

This query may not apply to the Aus-built boats: I am in the process of pulling my shafts (yep, two engines..) and am faced with a huge circular object mounted around each shaft about a metre aft of the gearbox output flange. These might be dampers of some sort..?
Does anyone else have an AH Moody-built boat with its original shaft hardware?
Keith
Old 03-02-2019, 13:22   #111

Could be your dripless seals a photo would help
Old 03-02-2019, 14:11   #112
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48

Could those large circular items on the shafts be the discs of shaft brakes? Perhaps the caliper components have been removed at some time. I have a similar set-up on the Buizen to stop my Bruntons AutoProp rotating when sailing.
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:11   #113

Sorry to be slow to reply to the suggestions. A photo is attached. I have found, thanks to the brilliant Moody Owners Assoc archive, that the object is a Silentbloc coupling Model M Type 77! However, I have no details yet of its construction; I have emailed the co, who still exist. I want to consider whether it is still functional after all these years.
Relatedly: does anyone know of a company called Meakes which supplied AH Moody wirh sterngears? (Actually they were delivered to Marine Projects, who moulded the hulls.) My stern tube has white metal bearings and I really need to know how they should be lubricated (how do I get grease down to the far end of the stern tube, what grease to use.)
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190207_104310.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	185706  
Old 11-02-2019, 17:05   #114

I think the white metal bearings are sea water lubricated like any cutlas bearing but you better make sure . If there was meant to be grease down there then a nipple would be easy to get at or the whole thing would have failed long ago. I will ask the previous owner of Union Pacific If I can get hold of him .
Old 04-04-2019, 06:07   #115

Carbineer 46 deck contruction

Hi Moody's owners,
i'm going to buy a '79 46 Carbineer and i would like to know if deck construction is in solid fiberglass or core sandwich.
Any contribute will be appreciated.
Fair winds
luca
LucaPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 18:25   #116
DGH

If it’s Australian built then balsa core deck.
Old 06-04-2019, 23:45   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH View Post
If it’s Australian built then balsa core deck.
Thank you for your reply.
Asked to the owner . he says she was built in Southampton in 1975.
So i assume is in solid fiberglass ...right?
Old 07-04-2019, 03:46   #118
DGH

Luca, not sure how they were built in the UK. Quite possibly also balsa core deck. Problems usually only arise around heavily loaded fittings, like chain plates, winches etc where water can get in.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:46   #119

My A H Moody Carbineer 52 has balsa core decks and coachroof. I had a Moody-built 46 surveyed and the surveyor didn't ascertain whether or not there was balsa, but the two boats are so very similar in all respects except the length that I would be very confident that the Moody 44s and 46s do have balsa.
I have had the teak decks renewed on Equilibre and when we stripped the old teak off we inspected the decks very thoroughly and found just a few places where the balsa had had some water ingress, but all were very minor and associated with extra fittings fitted after the original build. Wherever fittings were installed by Moody there was really top quality plywood or hardwood instead of the balsa. Obviously you need to look for damage from water ingress, but the boats were built so well I would not expect any serious issues. And the insulation property of balsa is worthwhile, especially in radically reducing condensation in winter.
Australian boats were not built by A H Moody, so my comments do not apply to them (but if I had to bet, I would bet they are the same).
Old 07-04-2019, 21:46   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw88 View Post
My A H Moody Carbineer 52 has balsa core decks and coachroof. I had a Moody-built 46 surveyed and the surveyor didn't ascertain whether or not there was balsa, but the two boats are so very similar in all respects except the length that I would be very confident that the Moody 44s and 46s do have balsa.
I have had the teak decks renewed on Equilibre and when we stripped the old teak off we inspected the decks very thoroughly and found just a few places where the balsa had had some water ingress, but all were very minor and associated with extra fittings fitted after the original build. Wherever fittings were installed by Moody there was really top quality plywood or hardwood instead of the balsa. Obviously you need to look for damage from water ingress, but the boats were built so well I would not expect any serious issues. And the insulation property of balsa is worthwhile, especially in radically reducing condensation in winter.
Australian boats were not built by A H Moody, so my comments do not apply to them (but if I had to bet, I would bet they are the same).
Thank you,
i see there are no problems around winch etc. the only suspected area is a 1 square meter (approx) in the bow Zone where the teak looks disconnected from deck, when you walk on this zone you can feel an "half centimeter" flexible under feet (sorry for my bad english..). In that zone there are no accessories or extra fittings , just walking area.
This is why i think this could be an happy problem (just teak disconnection) or a serious one (deck delamination)