Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 12:08   #1

Boat: Hunter 380
Air Conditioning on a Hunter 37.5 or 40.5

I am looking at a couple of Hunters in Florida....a 37.5 and 40.5, and neither has air conditioning........an absolute requirement in this state. Is there a preferred brand and/or size that is a good retrofit? One thing about putting it in new, is that it is new...one less thing to worry about on a boat that is now 25-30 years old.

Thanks for your help
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Air Conditioning on a Hunter 37.5 or 40.5

there's only a couple of choices really (may only be 1 as who can keep track of the buyouts)
Old 07-05-2019, 13:04   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Years ago, our previous boat was a 40.5 we kelp in Rhode Island. The single 16k BTU A/c was barely sufficient in that climate. Based on that, I’d suggest you carefully consider buying two, a small unit for the FWD area birth/bath as one large A/C won’t cut it here in Florida
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 13:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Air Conditioning on a Hunter 37.5 or 40.5

Depends on what you want.
Webasto is an inexpensive brand, although I’ve been happy with mine, work great, but they are sort of a disposable one, lasts hopefully at least ten years and when it breaks you replace it.
Like you do a TV for instance.
However if you want highest quality, likely a King AC is the way to go, lots more money, but has things like the fan will turn off like a house AC does, where most all Boat AC’s the fan runs 24/7.
This one due to expense, you’ll likely have repaired.

You’ll need a thru hull of course, the rest of the installation is easy, except the duct work can be aggravating, not technically difficult, just running it through small s-aces can be a PIA. But once run, it’s done even a new AC will use existing ductwork.
We have two, having two also makes the ducting run easier, it’s actually less work I think to install two than one due to the ducting.
Also a small one in the sleeping area can be run off of a suitcase generator if needed, a big one is right at the limit, often requiring an expensive soft start, but even then a Honda usually is running hard, and therefore loud.

It does take both of ours in a Fl Marina, and in fact if you turn them both on in the middle of the day, it’s night time before the boat really cools down well, lot of heat gain from the Sun bearing on the deck
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:39   #5

Boat: Hunter 41

Our Hunter 41 came with two Polar Bay units (now defunct). We replaced the Polar Bay units about two years ago with Marine Air Systems "Vector Compact" units as replacements. A 16k BTU (forward) and a 6k BTU (aft). We have an electrical panel fed by a 30 amp line dedicated just for the A/C units and circulating pump. So, that may be an additional cost for you to consider. Our forward unit is mounted under one of the salon seats that surrounds the table. The aft unit is in the aft cabin mounted in a compartment that was built into the aft wall of the cabin. I have a PDF copy of the drawings and schematics for our boat if that would be helpful for you when considering placement and installation.
JD
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:44   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Squander Bucks 38ft powerboat has a 16k Dometic for the salon and galley and a 7k Mabru unit in th bow V-berth area. Both have been great. Boat is 50yr old and has had 3 Dometic units over those years. Ok by me.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:54   #7

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Squander Bucks 38ft powerboat has a 16k Dometic for the salon and galley and a 7k Mabru unit in th bow V-berth area. Both have been great. Boat is 50yr old and has had 3 Dometic units over those years. Ok by me.
I should have mentioned in my post that Marine Air Systems was acquired by Dometic... and, it appears the model name is now Turbo

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...o-dtu-_-115228
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:33   #8

My Hunter 380 has a 16k BTU unit. Even in Maryland I wish it got a little cooler than it does, so I second those suggesting you get a beefier unit or get a second one if you can spare the space. The saloon stays cooler than either of our berths.
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:43   #9

Boat: Boatless

Just sold our 40.5 :-(

Miss is, great boat for the money.

One 16k did a great job, was a cruisaire mounted under the setter just in front of the galley.

Had three vents, one above the fridge, one at both ends of the port settee.

Worked great in Florida.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 17:45   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

I have had both boats, a 1993, 37.5 and currently have a 1997 40.5
In the 37 it had a King Air 19,000 btu under the starboard settee, vented in the main salon, aft cabin and v-berth did a very good job in NC the 40 5 has a factory installed, still working well Cruise-Air 16,000 BTU under the settee in front of the galley sink that has one vent for the main salon and another for the v-berth and a 6,000 BTU vented just for the aft cabin located under the aft berth each has a dedicated thru hull and raw water filter.
I can run the aft cabin unit only off my Honda 2000 generator.
Hope this helps
Capt. Ron
S/V Wind Dreamer
New Bern, NC
Capt n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:45   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Call Flagship Marine at 772-283-1609 they can help you choose a unit or units if need be. plus they will make up a custom install kit for you.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:08   #12

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. One more question. Can you give me some idea of how much this may cost......both unit(s) and installation? I am not in a position of doing anything myself, so this will all have done by a third party.

Thanks again

Tom
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 22:57   #13

I have a 37 hunter c with a 1600 dometic, and it kicks a$$. Almost overkill, at night you need blankets, and this is in the Florida summer. The aft berth however does not have a vent, so it is hot and i keep the door closed. Hot days i can get the salon down to 73f, at night could do 71 or less. The main forward berth has 1 vent and is right next to the air handler (no longer usable hanging locker) and it freezes you out. I wonder if these people that claim 1600 is too low have center cockpits and a more staggered layout and that becomes a factor.
gboat5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, hunter