Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2021, 08:17   #1

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Alado furlers

Is there still a US agent for this Brazilian furler? I have tried to contact via the website without success and am wondering if they are still in business. If anyone has a current contact number it would be appreciated.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 08:24   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Alado furlers

Have a look at this thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rs-250049.html.

Apparently the answer is “no”, the primary US rep died but there is still an active website, which causes a bit of confusion.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 08:27   #3

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Be careful. I ordered one online this year and then later cancelled the order, with threat of litigation. The webpage contains misleading info about delivery times. I could never reach anyone after multiple attempts and voicemail message left. Paypal seems to be running the show on orders from Alado.

BTW, I would stick with a U.S. supplier. I am very happy with the Profurl cruising furling unit I bought from Defender.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 09:23   #4

Thanks folks, i am only looking for the availability of foil sections for a different application, not a complete unit. I will try Alado direct in Brazil.
Old 21-08-2021, 14:24   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here are two links to threads on Alado furlers:

1) https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ap-241454.html

2) https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-158873.html

I found them using the CF Custom Google Search under the Search button. There were more threads there if you can't find what you need in the above threads.

I have no personal experience with the Alado furler, but my understanding is that they are lightly constructed, and we get what we pay for.

Ann
Old 21-08-2021, 18:59   #6

Thanks Anne,
Yeah, maybe i should have done a search but you usually have to wade through pages and pages of a bunch of stuff of no interest when in my case i just needed a simple answer to a simple question which was answered in the first couple of replies. I have installed and repaired a lot of furlers from all the usual suspects on customers boats as well as installed an Alado, also on a customers boat and while it is a little rough around the edges it was not lightly built at all, just a more simple approach in the interest of reliability and price. I have no experience with using one so have no opinion, obviously the only valid opinions would be from those who actually own and use them but they do have the best foil extrusion i have seen, torsionally, quite brilliant actually and my interest is in obtaining only the foil sections for a different purpose altogether.
Old 21-08-2021, 22:20   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, sorry about that. I saw the title and went off looking, and I really should have read your post thoroughly. My apologies.

Ann
Old 21-08-2021, 22:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

They are good strong, "keep it simple" furlers with some major advantages, like:

1. you can remove the foil from the forestay without disconnecting the forestay, and even if the forestay has big swaged fittings both ends. Other furlers need the forestay cut and replaced in order to replace a foil section!

2. You can hoist a second jib when you've already got one jib up, fly them goose winged and still use the furler, rolling both jibs up together.

The only major downside of the Alado is the difficulty getting halyard tension as you can't take the halyard down the mast to a winch. A block and tackle arrangement can address this but it's not ideal and no solution to the halyard tension problem is included.

Also, the halyard can sometimes frap against the foil and more importantly against the sail, causing chafe (especially the spare halyard if you have two).

Overall I much prefer the Alado for trade wind sailing but I would not choose it if you do a lot of upwind work.
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:46   #9

Boat: Watkins 33

Just an FYI. Alado Canada, ALADO Canada - Headsail Reefing and Furling System, will now be serving US customers. Same great furlers with attentive service.
Donlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler