Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 23:13   #16

Re: Alan Wright-Designed 7m Variant

Hi there,

I bought a Variant almost a year ago now and I'm just working on the hull to get it back into shape. She's my first sailboat and I've enjoyed working on her the past couple of months but I'm keen to get her back in the water soon!

One thing that I noticed is missing is the pin that holds the rudder in place. It goes up through the metal part attached to the rudder protector (fin forward of the rudder) and into the rudder.

Does anyone knew where I could get another one of these pins?

Thanks a lot
Stefan1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:50   #17

Hi Stefan,
I've just joined this forum. I too have just bought an old Variant which I am restoring in my front yard. Mine is a twin keel..apparently they are not bilge keels!
I also have rudder issues. I want to get the rudder gudgeon off the skeg without breaking it so I can drop the rudder out and repair and reglass the skeg and rudder. Not proving to be an easy task!
I assume that what you are talking about is the rudder pintle? Is it broken or missing?
I'd imagine you will have to make a new one. My rudder hardware is bronze so if yours is as well keep the metals similar and put on an anode while you're at it. You probably should drop the rudder out of the boat for this repair.
Good luck!
Redcom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:49   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Redcom, and welcome to CF!

I can't help with your questions, but wanted to point out that the post that you responded to was from February, and that it's poster, also a first time poster, has not returned since then. i kinda doubt that he will, but ya never know!

for help with your rudder issues, posting a picture of the problem area can help us help you. With pix, even if we are not familiar with your specific boat we may be able to make useful suggestions.

Good luck with your project, and enjoy CF.

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 14:29   #19

Hi Jim,
yeah I thought it was a stab in the dark if that guy was still aboard but you never know?
Meanwhile, my little project is coming along. Should be starting to put stuff back on the hull soon instead of taking it off which will please me no end!
The boat is sitting in my front yard so I am not stressing about how long it takes but I reckon I've got a 2-3 year project.
Old 12-11-2017, 18:11   #20

hi there,

i have one as well, its a finn keel type tho and is now happily moored on a swing mooring. for a small boat has a long list to sort before it can be used properly with a couple of scary things which need to come out of the water to do ...such as a survey for insurance and through hull fittings/ sea cocks replaced
does anyone know of where i can source any specs or info etc? and also looking to see what they can handle ? i would like to circumnavigate NZ in it

cheers Alex
alexdavis1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 23:50   #21

Hi Alex,
Welcome to this thread for what I guess is for 2nd generation of Variant owners. I guess the fact that there are so many of these little keelers still going strong after 40 plus years pays testiment to their design and build quality.
I'm afraid there is not a lot of info out there that I have been able to find, however, Bill Endean's book 'Classic New Zealand Yachts' does feature the Variant and some lines drawings (you can borrow this book through inter loan Auckland Libraries). They are described as very capable and sea worthy little vessels. The fibreglass hulls seem to be very solidly built (I can see no sign of osmosis in mine or others) and it was designed to be a safe and sea worthy family boat. Mine has crossed Cook Strait from Mana to Nelson so I see no reason why extended coastal voyages are beyond it's capability as long as the boat, all rigging, gear and crew are up to scratch. I look forward to being in touch with another Variant owner!
Cheers, Steve
Old 13-11-2017, 03:24   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Stefan, Redcom, and Alex.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 22:44   #23

Thought i was the only one for a while ....I am pleased with the boat , haven't sailed it yet but have motored on a rough day changing moorings and it handled very well , needs a few obvious things sorted but is basically complete and has been well looked after, can't wait to have a look around with it
alexdavis1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 23:07   #24

Hello everyone,
I am so glad to see that there is a small community of variant owners! I bought one last week to sail in the Hauraki Gulf but have a few repairs to make.

I specifically need to get a new front sail, but I am struggling to find proper specs online. Would anyone have any reco as to what sizes I should be looking for? I am not looking for high performance stuff, just a regular font sail that does a good job.

T
thibs is offline   Reply With Quote