Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2010, 09:28   #31

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
That explains the mystery! On her quarter is says "Tumbleweed St. Augustine" and on the bow she has WA for Washington.

I have been looking at the boat for a while. I really like the traditional looking cabin trunk compared to most Ingrids, although I have pretty much gotten used to the factory molded one.
I have been in contact with the owner through an agent and he says he "cannot guarantee the condition of any onboard systems". I had asked how the engine runs.

The problem is that the boat is so far away and Not being familiar with the boat at all I wouldnt attempt to bring her back up to Washington. Especially if he cannot tell me if the engine even runs. A scary prospect.
Shipping her here would be prohibitive. Plus I understand that if you sail her up there are no taxes or import fees as there would be with shipping.
And I wonder how baking in that desert heat for all this time has affected things.

I really hate to see her sitting there like that. She is a very nice boat.
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 12:30   #32

Boat: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_H View Post
The boat in Mexico is real nice. I wish it was closer. If it was I would buy it.

I cant find the one in Comox, maybe it sold?

Nice wooden Ingrid!
Tim,
I saw it advertised elsewhere, recently, but don't remember where. Here's what the ad says:

"38' BLUEWATER INGRID CUTTER
Launch '82. 6 sails. fg dodger. vane. autoplt. VolvoMD3B. cannister 6p raft. propane stv. dsl ht. 2 solar pnls. 4 anchors. 900' rode. windlass. dry, strong, safe, pretty. cherrywd int. optns: HAMSSB, fg dink, like new inflatable & obm.
Bruce, Comox BC, Price Reduced, $64,000 obo, (250)339-7710, b.arch2@gmail.com COMOX"

As you've mentioned Albergs & Ingrids, what about Spencers? I've seen several on Yachtworld, recently, including a couple of 44 footers & a 35 footer all being sold in Washington & B.C. . In fact, www.harbouryachtsales.com has a newly-listed Spencer 44.
Hope this helps!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 07:44   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Tim

I just looked at the link posted for the boat down at HarbourYachts. Looks like a well equiped boat needing some sweat equity (if nothing drastic is wrong). For myself I am enjoying the investigation/repair/modification. I am more comfortable if I know the condition and location of all the details anyhow.

I seem to recall some shallow entrances to marinas up at Whidbey. Is there enough water to get in and out at low tide? Most of these boats are going to draw six feet.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 08:11   #34

I keep my boat at Oak Harbor and while you have to stay in between the bouys there is water for some good sized boats. There is an Ingrid there too...one that needs a lot of work.

The Spencers just dont do anything for me. I really like a more traditional looking boat.
Old 26-01-2010, 09:45   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
That reliant 44 that Harbor yachts has listed looks like a nice boat. Electronics are dated but it looks to be well constructed. Not a traditional design but does have a bowsprit. Too large a boat for my needs but has been there and done that.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 22:16   #36

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Ahhh-- I get it. Well me too. Just put the finals on the all new pvc black water system (sewage) today. We will see if it works on both tacks. Electrric head verses ol' hand pump. Now for the engine compartment ARRRgh!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58   #37

Months with no new listings then 2 new Ingrid 38s on Yachtworld on the same day.

Go figure.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03   #38

Boat: looking
Peter(roverhi),
I almost bought that Reliant at HarbourYS, much nicer than the big Fraser that he(Ray Donaldson) is selling, but it's history is what detered me. On the internet, I discovered that the Reliant had had a major fire and, while being repaired in Mexico, sustained further damage when a hurricane knocked her off her stands. Still, for the price, it would be well-worth a close look. As for me, I am too superstitious to contemplate buying her!(lol)

Tim H,
Funny how that happens, isn't it? I noticed the same thing and figured that a couple of members of these forums had probably decided that there was at least one serious buyer out there! Best of luck with your search/purchase!

Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32   #39

Too bad its not a Rhodes Reliant

Im not superstitious at all (knock on wood)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44   #40

I've not owned either, but I've been on both and known people who have had either. They are very different boats. The ingrid is a much bigger boat, but will sail to weather poorly more like a Hans Christian or that type. The ALberg is known to be a very sweet boat but is a pretty short waterline type design and will likely be a wetter ride. bottom line I think you are comparing apples and oranges, but either boat would be fine.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 16:51   #41

Boat: Ingrid 38 Kalakala
My vote would be the Ingrid hands down, but that is because I own one. If you are looking to purchase one, I will be putting mine on the market in in the next few months and it is in the Seattle area.
sailrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 20:11   #42

How come you are selling her/
Wasnt she on the hard in PT a few months ago?
Old 19-02-2010, 17:53   #43

Boat: Alberg 37 "Amazing Grace"
Alberg all the way but then I am partial. I have a sloop and its easily shorthanded. I plan on adding a removable inner stay for a storm sail or working jib. I have a 150% Genoa and I had my new main sail cut with a fuller leech and full battens and she does put on a bit of speed if trimmed properly, for a boat that old and that heavy. She heals quickly but then she stays pretty steady. I must say I have never sailed and Ingrid. Is the mast keel stepped? Huge for me. I learned last Summer. I waited a bit late in the season last year to take my boat to the yard for the Winter and we had 30 plus winds with gusts of about 40. Lake Michigan can be great or it can be hell. Was sailing on a beam with a reefed jib and we lost the turnbuckle on the back stay. Pin pulled right out of the turnbuckle. We quickly furled the jib and used a halyard for a stay but the mast never even moved. If I would had a deck stepped mast I would have lost the whole rig. We kept going and got her home.
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:48   #44

I agree that a keel stepped mast is better. Most of the Bluewater Ingrids have deck stepped masts.
Old 21-02-2010, 21:14   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Total BS. A deck stepped mast is just as strong as a keel stepped mast as long as the spar scantlings are correct and the shroud angles are proper. The main sail will hold up a mast in normal conditions without a backstay. Just sheet it in hard and you won't miss the backstay unless it's really really shitty out. Lose a headstay or shroud and it's a different story whether it's deck stepped or keel stepped.

The advantage of a keel stepped mast is primarily for racers. A keel stepped mast can use a slightly thinnner/smaller mast section and a narrower shroud angle than keel stepped. Two things that aren't a big thing except if you are a win at any coast, damn the seaworthiness, the boat's got to point 1 degree higher, type of person. Maybe in the days of telephone pole masts, the partners might keep a keel mast from toppling. An aluminum spar will fold at the lowers, if a cap shroud breaks or at the deck if a lower goes. You've got a potentially greater problem with a keel stepped mast as it could take the deck with it when it goes or have to be hacksawed at the partners to get rid of it. A failed deck stepped mast can be gotten rid of by just cutting the stays and shrouds or pulling the turnbuckle pins.

Perhaps the biggest problem with keel stepped mast is they leak all the time. It's quite common at the partners and always down inside the extrusion. I'll take a deck stepped mast anytime.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg