Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 10:42   #1

Boat: Kirie Feeling 920
Albin Vega 27

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I’ve been dreaming of getting a sailboat for years. My goal is to learn it by day sailing on the weekends, and make an occasional trip to the Caribbean (I’m from Georgia so it’s not too far). Hopefully one day cross the Panama Canal and make it to the Pacific!

Anyways, I’ve been looking for boats in a cheaper price range so I can make cruising and any costs that might appear be more bearable.

Some of the boats I was looking at was the Alberg 30, Pearson 35, Amel Kirk, Albin Vega 27. There are more but these are the ones that appealed to me the most because of what I have read about them and their price range. Amel boats appeal to me the most, but all of the ones in my price range are over in France and I don’t see the justification to pay transport and taxes on a boat that cheap. So that has left me taking a serious look at the Albin Vega.

My question is, what is considered a good price range for it? I know it depends wildly. But let’s say it’s in a great condition, and comes with decent equipment, what’s the most you would pay? I’ve seen some that look awful selling for $1,000 and others that come with decent equipment and looks in much better shape for $16,000. I’m certainly drawn to the $16,000 one, since that’s less work and time I have to do to get to that point. But $16,000 seems really high for these boats, right? I will get an inspection of course, I’m just wondering what’s the max one should pay for these? The listing prices seem to vary so much on these which is why I wanted to come here and ask how much did you pay for yours?

I read the typical things to look out for on these boats, but is there anything else besides the window, mast support I should look for?
USA1791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 17:54   #2

Re: Albin Vega 27

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

I wouldn't reduce your search too much. Most of the boats on that list will suit your needs if properly equipped and maintained.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 08:26   #3

Boat: 1978 Cal 2-27

If $16,000 seems like a lot for a Vega in excellent condition, then I don't think you could afford the $1,000 Vega.
rickmartyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 08:51   #4

Boat: B24

The Albin is a known quantity from the design standpoint, but given their likely ages all the ones on your list are condition dependent… The Albin is more of a stretched small boat, as opposed to a little big boat (its nearly half a ton smaller than my former B24, which I should never have sold, and only me and my cat like boats that size for any real voyaging), and at least on your list I’d try to get closer to 30’ on deck and something over three tons disp. $16K is no big incentive or detriment, unless the boat has just gone through an extensive refit – as others have noted, condition is everything. Even with a pocket-cruiser it’s easy to stick a gazillion bucks in a boat with tinker-toys that have little to do with sailing, or conversely get by on a shoestring if the investment/equipment is in the right places…
Old 25-11-2019, 08:52   #5

Boat: B24

Hmmm -- double post…
Old 25-11-2019, 08:56   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

I paid $2,000 for my boat, a 1974 Bristol 27, in 2011 thinking I'd sail it for a couple years and buy a larger boat.

Well I still have and now I have put maybe another $8,000 -$10,000 in it over these past 8 years

This includes upgrades (and maintenance) like VHF Radio w/GPS/AIS, new mainsail, new outboard, autopilots, outboard brackets, 3 bottom jobs, total interior repainting, topside paint, and recently I'm having a new settee cushion made. I also replaced the mainsail cover, the dodger, and the tiller since it broke in half one day on a return from a weekend cruise

Right now there is a 1985 Cape Dory 270 for sale in the slip across from me in very good condition asking price is 10K but I'm sure you could get it for less. Diesel engine, excellent interior, dodger, bimini, wheel steering (emergency tiller)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27 2011.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	203730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00221.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	203731  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 08:51   #7

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1791 View Post
I’m certainly drawn to the $16,000 one, since that’s less work and time I have to do to get to that point. But $16,000 seems really high for these boats, right?

I'd jump on it in a heartbeat IF it was truly turn-key, or close to it. I'd want to see a new engine, new wiring, and excellent sails before even considering it.

DECENT Vegas in sailable condition, but nowhere near ready to go offshore, can be had for $5K - $10K. The trouble is finding one. Being a "cheap" boat, 90% of what you see for sale are in a very sorry state. We bought ours (1979, hull #3360) for $6500. She looked pretty good and had decent sails, but the engine and wiring were original and very questionable. We have replaced the engine, and I'm working on an all new electrical system. We're probably in it for $15K at this point. I expect to have $25K in her before she's ready for the world, although that will include a fridge, wind vane, a ton of solar, etc, etc, etc.

There were three generations of Vegas. They got better as they went along. The last ones (post-1977-ish) are highly desirable IMHO.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 20:12   #8

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

The Vega is an absolutely beautiful boat, saw one for sale here locally. Had the headroom been a bit more I would have been down looking at it for sure, we went with a Columbia 29 instead but I still love seeing the Vega. A guy on YouTube sails one, I think its called "Tarka".
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 04:47   #9

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Tarka (formerly "Tarka the Otter") just sold recently, but the videos should still be out there. "Cruising Lea Lea" is another great Vega youtube channel.

Speaking of headroom, the third generation Vegas have a little more than the other two. About 5' 9" in the saloon, 5' 11" in the galley.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega