Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 21:34   #1

Albin Vega 27: advantages and disadvantages?

Hi

I know there are several posts here already about the Albin Vega (and I have read them), but if possible I would like to hear from owners or from people that have sailed one extensively in long passages. The reason is that I spotted an Albin Vega in good condition in the location I want to sail and I am seriously thinking of making an offer. Although I didn't consider them previously that much, reading on the web it seems that they are actually very solid cruisers, so I am becoming convinced.

Some of the questions that come to mind:

They seem to be very light boats (in weight) compared to similar full keeled ocean going cruisers of similar length (Twister, Vancouver, Great Dane). Yet everyone says they are very solidly built. Surely a lighter boat in weight must sacrifice something? Yet the keel to hull weight ratio (and capsize ratio) is OK. So it has a heavy encapsulated keel and yet overall it is a light boat. How can you explain that?

One of the reasons may be that they seem to have balsa cored decks and doghouse and apparently the fibreglass can flex. Similarly, the deck stepped mast seems sometimes to push down on the deck and compromise the compression bulkhead below. Any known problems with that?

Osmosis - somewhere I read that they used a different resin from most boats in the 70's meaning there is less chance of osmosis. The one I am interested in is from 1970. It looks like an OK boat, but there is no mention of the hull condition, hence I am thinking in such an old boat osmosis could be a serious problem. Any insights into that?

Apparently for the rigging instead of chain plates they use U bolts. Not sure what that means exactly i.e. how one would use U bolts to anchor the standing rigging, but is this a problem?

Apparently dinette table can be mounted below and in the cockpit, but in photos I have never seen that table mounted in the floor down below, only in the cockpit. Is this true?

The propeller is above the rudder apparently making it difficult to reverse, because the water starts moving over the rudder only after the propeller has moved the surrounding water quite a bit already. Is this a big problem?

Lastly and most importantly, how do they sail? Their light weight, shallow hull and cut-away keel keep seem to predispose them predominantly to racing. Are they fast and do they point well upwind? But then also, how stable are they and how do they hold up during long passages and in a really big storm?

Thanks very much.

Hugo
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 14:31   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Albin Vega 27: advantages and disadvantages?

This may not help much since I am not an owner but my current boat (Columbia 29) and former (Columbia 24) are somewhat similar to the Vega. Actually the Vega and the old Columbia 26 MK1 share similar spec data, but the Vega spreads out the displacement over a longer waterline. I sailed my little 24 in a variety of conditions and had no problems. The main disadvantage to a boat like this for bluewater is, where are you going to put all the stuff you need, or want to bring along? And will you be able to keep the weight in a fully loaded boat down low too? To an even greater extent than my boat, they are really like ballasted torpedoes, and they seem to sail really well with good speed for their size (there's a guy near me with one.) The prop behind the rudder will make maneuvering in close quarters a challenge for sure I imagine, but you could add a sweep oar with an oarlock on the aft toerail to kick the stern around as needed, at least that's what I'd do. In fact that boat may be a good candidate for oars too in case you are interested in that option. In any case I'll be interested to hear what owners have to say too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 05:51   #3

Boat: B24

I think Don already pointed out the major potential weakness – and it is pretty much the same with any vessel this general size. Once you have all the vessel’s “have-to-have” stuff aboard, where do you put yours. I think the AV’s general sturdiness/attractiveness is well known, and they built a gazillion of them, but like all boats of any size, they are a compromise. My B24 (which I wish I still had) was probably a tad smaller, and a tad more displacement as well, and it would handle chop and reasonable winds much better than most folks expect, compared to your modern contemporary kiln-baked Kevlar graphite flyweight – although noticeably slower and couldn’t point anywhere near as high as a fin-keeler. To the extent that the AV and the B24 are comparable, the B24 would handle a modest blow nicely, with a reef or two, and you could lounge in the cockpit with the tiller settled in the crook of your knee and she’d track for hours (if you had the sea room) requiring very little work from the crew. As for storage – if you were used to backpacking or motorcycle/horse camping, then the accommodations/storage in that size are extravagant – if your standard is a floating condo, well not so much…
Old 27-12-2019, 06:08   #4

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

A 36-year-old Albin Vega sailboat, christened St. Brendan in honor of the 6th-century Irish explorer monk St. Brendan, was used by Matt Rutherford of Annapolis, Maryland in his successful 314-day, 27,077-mile solo circumnavigation of North and South America which was officially completed on 18 April 2012, when Rutherford crossed the start and finish.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:15   #5

I've had my Vega for 10 years now, and none of the queries you mention have been a problem. A couple of points, the deck is not cored with balsa, it's a plastic foam - type material which is waterproof, so doesn't suffer the rot issues that balsa can. No problems re chain plates / u - bolts either, the construction is pretty rugged. Reversing can be tricky as you describe, but it's not a showstopper, you learn how to handle it. The table does work the way you describe, there are fittings in the floor of the cockpit and the cabin, and the legs just slot in. The quality of the hull construction is remarkably good, and cleverly designed with varying thickness in appropriate places; I've never known of a Vega to suffer from osmosis, and they can take a really hard knock: no keel bolts either! Mast compression is a well known issue, and many have been fitted with a reinforcing kit here, which deals with the problem; readily (and cheaply!) available through the Vega Association of Great Britain (VAGB), who also can provide lots of other bits. Check the condition of the forward bulkhead, that's what carries the load. It's worth having a good look at the rudder too, as the blade can sometimes come loose: but it's not hard to repair. They're not really a racer, much more of a pocket cruiser; they sail very nicely, and are easily handled on your own. Very seaworthy, quite a few have done circumnavigations, and people tend to stick to them once they have one. The interior is fairly basic nowadays, although many have been upgraded over the years. Fine for two people long - term, but although there are four berths it would be a bit tight for more than a few days. Condition is everything if you are buying one, so it's worth spending the time to have a good close look at it. The British and American associations are excellent sources of information, all online so worth spending some time there too. Many have been re-engined by now, I still have the original Volvo MD6A with the famous Combi transmission (variable - pitch propellor, not actually a gearbox at all); I like it, but I can maintain it myself: most "mechanics" won't touch it because they don't understand it. Spares are becoming rare too, nowadays, so a boat with a new engine is a plus, although the old Volvo is a good thing. Hope this helps!
goodoldvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 11:06   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
A 36-year-old Albin Vega sailboat, christened St. Brendan in honor of the 6th-century Irish explorer monk St. Brendan, was used by Matt Rutherford of Annapolis, Maryland in his successful 314-day, 27,077-mile solo circumnavigation of North and South America which was officially completed on 18 April 2012, when Rutherford crossed the start and finish.
He came into Little Creek after waiting on the right wind to get back into the Chesapeake Bay at the end of his voyage and stayed a few days anchored near our dock in Little Creek.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/voic...about-the-boat

https://solotheamericas.org/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 16:54   #7

Hi

Thanks very much for all the great replies, especially goodoldvega and his first-hand information as a Vega owner. I am getting more and more convinced that this is the way to go. The Vega I am looking at looks in good nick, is well kitted out and has a yanmar engine and so I doubt whether the variable pitch propeller has been kept. Overall she looks like a good boat, but I will have a survey done all the same.

Two things that still puzzle me though: why are they so cheap compared to yachts of a similar size e.g. Vancouvers, Twisters, Vertues? Is it because there are so many of them? Secondly if you look at the specs, they are light boats, again compared to the other ones I mention, but particularity the Vancouver. Is it possible to have substantial less weight without compromising strength?

Thanks

Hugo
Old 28-12-2019, 02:53   #8

I think you are right about the pricing, there were more than 3,500 built and many of them are still around, so lots to choose from. The strength V weight thing is just about good engineering and making best use of materials: it's not necessary to be heavy in order to be strong, aircraft and racing cars are among the best examples of that. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
goodoldvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 16:28   #9

Boat: Admiral 31

In the 1980s I crewed on one, which was later sailed single handed by the 70 year old owner from Liverpool down to the Med,
In common with most fin keelers of under 10/12 meters the hull does not have a lot of initial stability but soon stiffens up & sails very well
At the present time there are at least 4 of them for sale here in the Netherlands https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/albin+vega/
As previously said the rudder is not really a problem except when going astern
admiral 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42   #10

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

Thanks very much for all the great replies, especially goodoldvega and his first-hand information as a Vega owner. I am getting more and more convinced that this is the way to go. The Vega I am looking at looks in good nick, is well kitted out and has a yanmar engine and so I doubt whether the variable pitch propeller has been kept. Overall she looks like a good boat, but I will have a survey done all the same.

Two things that still puzzle me though: why are they so cheap compared to yachts of a similar size e.g. Vancouvers, Twisters, Vertues? Is it because there are so many of them? Secondly if you look at the specs, they are light boats, again compared to the other ones I mention, but particularity the Vancouver. Is it possible to have substantial less weight without compromising strength?

Thanks

Hugo

I also have a Vega, number 1001. I don´t think they are low priced. In Germany and in the northern European countries you get them from € 5´000 up to € 25´000, depending on the condition. Mine I am selling at € 9´000, because there has something to be done to become it a pearl. I used it for sailing and not, for show-off, so it looks used, but not worn out. Remember, they are the Volkswagen of the water and they´re price is according to what you get. If you are 2 people, you already have some issues, because they are low in the cabins and narrow. So, it´s question of the luxury you get. They are good boats for 1 person. 2 persons, you run into claustrofobia and woman don´t like Vegas...

Regards, Hans
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:19   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We met lots of Vega folks in our circumnavigation, typically young Scandinavian couples doing a three year rtw before heading home to work. We had a BBQ with three of the remarkably in South Africa. They had a great trip with few issues and were hurrying home because they were running out of money. If I were looking for a pocket cruiser for extended cruising it would be a Vega. Almost bought one new a million years ago but my ex said she would not go to the bathroom with her ass in a cupboard.

As to pricing, I think we make a mistake when we price boats by the foot. Makes a lot more sense to price by the pound. By this measure Vegas are fairly expensive for their age and size, which is not a surprise considering their desirability. The other ones you mentioned are much heavier and much rarer which pushes up the price. If I was looking to do a circumnavigation in a little boat, which I am not, Vega would be at the top of my list.
Old 04-01-2020, 15:15   #12

Hi Hans
Well luxury is fairly low on my list, but sailing ability, safety and reliability is high, so I think from what I have heard from you and others this confirms an Albin Vega may be the way to go. You say you are selling yours. Where is it located and is there a website I can have a look at?
Thanks
Hugo
Old 04-01-2020, 15:38   #13

Hi

Everything I hear here confirms that an Albin Vega may be a good way to go. I have contacted the owner of the Vega I am looking at and I'll see where I go from here.

AiniA, it is nice to hear that there are quite a few people that do large voyages in Vegas. I also just finished John Neal's book "Log of the Mahina". He actually never mentions in the book it is a Vega but of course we know it is. He went all the way from the US around the Pacific and back and he did have problems with his rudder (which he repaired on one of the Pacific islands) and also the bulkhead support for the mast. But all in all I think his boat held up well, especially seeing the big storms he was in several times.

Initially I was looking at other ones, I especially liked Vertues, Great Danes and Twisters, but yes they are all much more expensive. I looks like the Vertue is very seaworthy but may be a little too small for extended cruising, the Great Dane is a great boat with the best internal layout and the Twister .. well that boat is just fantastic and speaks for itself. But in the end because they are rarer, they cost more and although some have, I haven't heard about a large number of them having done circumnavigations, which may say something too.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great replies, they helped a lot.

Cheers

Hugo
Old 06-01-2020, 06:44   #14

Boat: Formosa 41

Hugo B,

In what area of the world are you?

I have an Albin Vega that has been stored in a warehouse and has not been in the water since 2013. It’s on a trailer.

It is in the Northeast US.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 00:21   #15

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

Everything I hear here confirms that an Albin Vega may be a good way to go. I have contacted the owner of the Vega I am looking at and I'll see where I go from here.

AiniA, it is nice to hear that there are quite a few people that do large voyages in Vegas. I also just finished John Neal's book "Log of the Mahina". He actually never mentions in the book it is a Vega but of course we know it is. He went all the way from the US around the Pacific and back and he did have problems with his rudder (which he repaired on one of the Pacific islands) and also the bulkhead support for the mast. But all in all I think his boat held up well, especially seeing the big storms he was in several times.

Initially I was looking at other ones, I especially liked Vertues, Great Danes and Twisters, but yes they are all much more expensive. I looks like the Vertue is very seaworthy but may be a little too small for extended cruising, the Great Dane is a great boat with the best internal layout and the Twister .. well that boat is just fantastic and speaks for itself. But in the end because they are rarer, they cost more and although some have, I haven't heard about a large number of them having done circumnavigations, which may say something too.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great replies, they helped a lot.

Cheers

Hugo
The boat is in Povoa de Varzim. If you have Facebook, I can share the pics from Facebook with you.
best regards, Hans

it is also in Inautia
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega