Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 19:38   #61

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Alternatives to Rocna / Mantus M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlySailor View Post
Hello we have a 38 foot boat with about 18k pounds displacement. I wanted to upgrade our ground tackle from the 15kg Bruce anchor that sits on our undersized roller while cruising and in the bow locker while racing. I bought a Mantus M1 (also 15 kg)and it was comically oversized and won’t fit on our roller or in our bow locker. Is there a good alternative I should look at? Anyone have any luck. For reference our boat is an Xyachts 38 and we cruise LIS, block, New England and hopefully the Caribbean at some point.
I am just recognizing that you said "undersized roller". I think that you are going to have to make the bow roller bigger and give up on storing the anchor in the locker unless you can be satisfied with a somewhat undersized anchor for cruising.

I made a new bow roller for my boat and now I can carry a bigger anchor for cruising and I leave it ashore when I go racing. Tough choices.
Old 07-09-2020, 21:46   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'll chime in here...In the past I had CQR's and Bruce's. It was what was available in the 80's-90's. My last boat, a Hallberg Rassy 35, I tried a Rocna. My issue wasn't so much the roller but that the shank of the anchor nailed my roller furling drum. So I added a plate on top of the roller frame and it forced the Rocna to take a lower path while lifting. My Rocna was the only anchor I have been able to sleep with in many Mexican anchorages.

I will also add that while shopping for a roll-bar type anchor, I looked at a boat and the Manson guy was there. I looked at the welds and noticed a MIG welding wire a half inch long sticking out of the weld AND HAD BEEN GALVANIZED ANYWAYS! That told me right there the quality that had gone into it. The Mantus I viewed on Youtube when they were starting to become popular and watched the owner running up and down a beach, setting it. I thought that was pretty silly. I later bought one of his slick anchor hooks when they first came out. When I would get ready to pull the anchor, I would discover that it had come off the chain 30% of the time. Later there was a piece of plastic added to prevent this. But it told me that his designs were initiated without adequate testing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 22:36   #63

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Saba 50, 15 m

We have just up-specced to a Mantus 2 (57 kg, no roll bar)) for our 50 ft Saba 50, we did have to modify our bow roller and so far are very happy with it, sets every time. Our previous anchor had a roll bar and it trapped sea grass
nznoeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 23:24   #64

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlySailor View Post
Hello we have a 38 foot boat with about 18k pounds displacement. I wanted to upgrade our ground tackle from the 15kg Bruce anchor that sits on our undersized roller while cruising and in the bow locker while racing. I bought a Mantus M1 (also 15 kg)and it was comically oversized and won’t fit on our roller or in our bow locker. Is there a good alternative I should look at? Anyone have any luck. For reference our boat is an Xyachts 38 and we cruise LIS, block, New England and hopefully the Caribbean at some point.
Have a look at a Sarca Excel #5 or even #6. On the boat we have coming, at 18,000lbs, both of these will fit the stock bow roller(which may be a little on the small side).
Alistair242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 00:08   #65

Boat: Lagoon 42

I wanted an over sized anchor and the roll bar anchors wouldn't get by my bow sprit. Went with a Vulcan and was able to go even bigger than I initially wanted. So far I've loved it.
introverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:16   #66

We have a Spade. Fits well on the stock bow roller and we are thrilled with its holding power. Was a better price than Mantus and the others when we were shopping for a better anchor.
SailMaravilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus, rocna