Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2005, 10:03   #31

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Bill, I have heard from several folks using Mars to modify or totally swap out their keels and the reactions have been both good and bad. It's surely a potentially good sign that Bill Crealock was involved IF that means what it sounds like. Were I you, I'd nail down - specifically - what the consultation involved; Mars should have something in writing that reflects that.

This doesn't directly answer your question but I found it pretty interesting that Sharon Ragle (I hope I'm spelling that right...) and her new-found husband did a Circle not too long ago, all of it in a Tartan 37 that somewhere along the line had its centerboard permanently housed in place inside the centerboard house. (I'm sure she writes about this in her book, which was published a year or two ago). The boat's name was TIGGER and she has a website you might start with if following up on this sounds useful. As I understand it, they did this to eliminate any concerns about the integrity of the board, pin, pendant etc. and didn't find it to substantially alter the capability of the boat, tho' obviously sailing to windward was compromised.

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 16:17   #32

ConchCruiser/Jack

Just want to assure you that I'm listing to your advice.

CONCHCRUISER

I just bookmarked the Web sites that you suggested (that feature the logs of Island Packets owners) and will read at least excerpts from all.

JACK

1) I just ordered the book that you recommended ("Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama" by John & Pat Rains). I also ordered one of their other books entitled, "Mexico Weather for Boaters."

2) I printed out the subscription order form at the Latitude 38 Web site and will order a mailed subscription (to Denver) in the next few days.

3) I visited and bookmarked the recommended SSCA Discussion Board and will read it regularly.

Thanks for tips.

Fritz
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:12   #33

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Fritz, it may feel like your being double-teamed and we feel it our job to keep you up late and spending regularly...but you truly will end up from all this digging with your own firmly held views and they in turn will make your choices far more satisfying for you.

However, I'd encourage you actively use a few of these resources. Didn't understand you were in Denver and so Latitude 38 may not be familiar to you from your San Diego days. (Here I go again with yet ANOTHER reading assignment...!) Visit www.latitude38.com and read a few Letters - and especially the editorial replies - and you'll get an appreciation for the unvarnished, based-on-experience (bot at times pontifical) straight talk you can find there. Given that, consider posting a letter to the editor (Richard) yourself, offer an email address (you can cook one up at Yahoo or similar if you don't want to use your regular account), and see if you can benefit by some more direct advice from folks quite familiar with your planning cruising grounds.

Similarly, post something on the SSCA BB comparable to what you put up here. You'll find numerous other threads on the 'next boat' there but of course getting comments directed at your own needs may prove helpful and also just plain feels good. <g>

Continued good luck to you!

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:20   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) http://www.ssca.org/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 15:52   #35

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Fitz

Real late to this thread -- work got in the way of sailing stuff

Couple of thoughts: I would also open your thinking to include some of Bob Perry's work.

Valiant 40 and Passport 40 in particlular come to mind. Both are still by mfgs in production and both are know for long distance cruising and have a repution for being a little faster and having a little more room than boats you are looking at so far.

I would also if they exist in the market you are looking consider some of the Hallberg Rassy, Moody or other European cruisers. Some of them provide more room which is a objective of yours as I read it.

I differ from some of the other posters in that I have a larger boat and feel that a cruising couple can manage a larger platform if set up right and you can afford the costs. As a full time single hander though I would personally set 40' as my max [again properly set up].

The other bit of advice is that when you find 'your' boat [assuming it is used] please build into your budget at least 50% of the original purchase price for 'making the boat rught for you'. Most boats that have been out there need some level of updating or boats that have not been really cruised need the proper equipment added.

Lastly I agree with the reccomendations to look at SSCA web site but I would also encourage you to join SSCA, buy the CD with the past issues of the commodors bulletins, and read what the cruisers are experiencing. I also endorse the Lattitude 38 suggestion.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 19:26   #36

Thanks Again

Thanks for the continuing flow of information/suggestions.

Jack

I visited www.latitude38.com; book marked it and have already started browsing it tonight while watching TV with my wife.

GordMay

Regarding the Seven Seas Cruising Association, I went to their Web site and read their introductory statement. For now, this is too much information for me to read and digest (“50-page monthly Bulletin”), but I bookmarked it under my “Cruising” folder for future reference.

John D

I’ll look at the Valiant 40 and Passport 40. Regarding the extra costs of boat acquisition, I have a spreadsheet that includes an ever growing itemization of assumed upgrades and, of course, the survey cost (as well as a comparison of the stats on the boats that I’ve reviewed).

Boat Shows

I have a meeting next Thursday in Houston that will be over around 2 pm. I am then going directly to the Houston International In-the-Water Boat Show, which is open until 7 pm. I also have most of Friday to visit the show before I fly out Friday night. It’s hard to tell which boats will be featured because the exhibitors list includes dealer names instead of manufacturers names. Pacific Seacraft doesn’t have a dealer in Houston. Even thought Island Packet does, I called them and was disappointed to find out that they don’t have IP’s in stock and, therefore, won’t have any at the show. The rep who I talked with further claimed that there’s not much demand for heavier displacement sailboats in Houston and said Beneteau is the way to go. (Yes, I know who they are and am not interested.) At least there’ll be a lot of the latest boating electronics that I can look at -- along with all the other boating paraphernalia found at a major boat show. If I can manage it, I’m going to to visit the Annapolis show next month, where most of the boats that I’m interested in will be featured.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 03:51   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
SSCA Discussion Board: http://www.ssca.org/sscabb/index.php

Less reading ... current posts

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 07:44   #38

Boat: Outbound 44
Survey Complete

Anybody know Jay Knoll?

I hope to meet him sometime soon - he's the current owner of the Pacific Seacraft 37 I am buying, currently living in France I gather. The survey checked out great, the boat is very well maintained. I am thrilled to be taking this 22 year old beauty on a cruise to Europe!

We took long hard looks at the shortened keel - it sure is bolted on there well. Concensus seems to be that I'll lose a degree or two in pointing - but since I don't know what it should be like, I guess I'll be none the wiser! Jay had kept details on the coversion - including Bill Crealocks hand written calculations!

Looking forward to our first sail in a few weeks time.
(Anyone wanna buy a neat little S2 9.2A? ;-) )
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote