Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-12-2018, 14:54   #136

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

There is a lot of wiring work to be done by the chart table (salon aft, port side).

This is the salon forward starboard side. I opted for the freezer under the settee so that I can use both drawers in the Galley as refrigerators. Behind the freezer is the TV, which hides inside the cabinet.

On the top you can see a chainplate backing and that the wooden panel is glassed to the deck. There are enough openings to inspect things. All the white circles are for the snap-on cover panels.

Here are the companion way stairs. I really like the stainless staircase spine. It is simple, yet massive and elegant. There is room behind the steps for a fire extinguisher and the EPIRB. The 6 MasterVolt GEL house batteries (600Ah @ 24V total) are in place (but not secured yet) and behind them you can see the grey water tank. All grey water goes to this tank and it is evacuated by a pump. This tank needs periodic cleaning so I am glad it is accessible.

The Galley is to the starboard, two steps down. The rest of the boat downstairs is on the same level.

Here is the port side settee. The table base lowers (the bucket is on it) to make this area a double bed.

For the cockpit and salon, I asked for White/Red LED overhead lights. I found them very useful during overnight crossings. It was not an available option but Amel accommodated my request.

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 15:16   #137

This is the master stateroom looking aft. Most of the paneling is installed. The bed tilts up and has lots of storage under.

Behind the master closet (which my wife gets...) there some electrical componets (my area...). I can see the 800W inverter for the TV's (not sure for what else), and the cockpit winch breakers. The access seems good and everything ls labeled.

This is the port side of the master. We asked for a cabinet instead of a seat & desk. We never used the desk on the Lagoon 450, except to throw things on it. Amel designed a cabinet for us, as I have to put my clothes somewhere... Frankly, there is tons of storage on the 50. In the master, there is overhead and lower cabinet storage on both sides, a closet, under the bed and under the floor storage.

Old 21-12-2018, 15:35   #138

Here is the starboard galley looking aft. The oven is installed. The refrigerator drawers go in front of the stool at the end of the corridor. The master bed can be seen. If I would describe the Amel 50 layout in one word, it would be "sensible." Everything is where you would expect it to be. In my opinion, it is a perfect compromise for ocean going and livability. Everything is a compromise...

The galley looking forward. To the port there is a glassware cabinet and a large prep counter top area. There is an opening hatch to the cockpit. The galley corridor is wide enough to wedge yourself in and still be able to walk past another person.

Old 21-12-2018, 15:45   #139

On the outside, the railing, spinnaker/gennaker block, and rear cleats seem to be installed. The camera lens is dirty...

Still a lot to be done in the lazarette. I am getting the two independent autopilots. Also, Amel is installing the Bauer JR II dive compressor for me.

That's all I have for now.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 21-12-2018, 17:50   #140

Boat: CT-38 Princess - Fast Cruiser ( Alen Warrick )

Thank you so much for posting the images and build information! Will they supply spares tools list etc? This is one of my main concerns. We will sail, from Europe back home to Hawaii and would like to be as kitted out as possible.
sailingtaiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 18:18   #141

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

That's it! Next boat is going to be 50'.... I need that storage.

I never liked the looks inside or out of the old Amels, but man, I can't get enough of the three newest models. Just amazingly beautiful and classy boats.

Matt
Old 21-12-2018, 18:25   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingtaiyo View Post
Thank you so much for posting the images and build information! Will they supply spares tools list etc? This is one of my main concerns. We will sail, from Europe back home to Hawaii and would like to be as kitted out as possible.
They can supply everything you need so that you can sail away.
Old 21-12-2018, 18:27   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
That's it! Next boat is going to be 50'.... I need that storage.

I never liked the looks inside or out of the old Amels, but man, I can't get enough of the three newest models. Just amazingly beautiful and classy boats.

Matt
Amels have always been an acquired taste but once you like them, you're hooked. I was the same too...
Old 15-01-2019, 11:54   #144

I decided to get the Highfield Classic CL 310 aluminum bottom dinghy with a 20hp Honda (electric start for my wife) engine. I am also getting wheels, nav lights, chaps and a cover for it. NAUTIQUE SERVICES in La Rochelle, is handling the dinghies for Amel. I have spoken to Bruno, who has been very helpful. I have seen his work and it is excellent. He will prepare everything for the dinghy and even deliver it to my boat in the marina. I just like the simplicity of this arrangement as I am not close to supervise things.

I was really tempted to get the Highfield CL 340, with the same engine, but the uncertainty of Med mooring and dinghy weight/size swayed me to the 310. I just do not want to complicate things for myself.

I also considered the Offshore Cruising Tenders because of their weight and looks. But, I was not thrilled about the low bow rocker, flat bottom, large shipping costs and unavailability of a dealer in France. I saw them in New Zealand and I really liked the look and concept. I also liked that it was a small company. If I were in the S. Pacific, I would probably get their dinghy.

CAD drawing of the Amel 50 with the Highfield CL 310 on davits and passarelle.

I should be able to lower the dinghy below deck level, while still on the davits, and pull it closer to the hull, which should give me a couple more feet clearance.

Picture of the Highfield CL 310 on the davits.

The dinghy looks very centered on the davits. The CL340 would be longer at the bow when on the davits.
Old 21-01-2019, 22:35   #145

I just got some new pictures today! My boat is in the flotation pool. Amel has it's own pool where they place up to 3-4 boats to test equipment while they are still working on things. The following two pictures are not of my boat.

Here is mine on the right, next to one of the, possibly, last Amel 55 getting built.

The swim platform rams are not connected yet. The 110V and 220V shore power inlets can be seen. The lazarette hatch is open. Amel installs a line lengthwise across the lazarette hatch, which can be used to tie the fender lines, or whatever else, so that they can be reached easily from the deck.

The cockpit table, adjustable & rotating seat, wheel and most electronics have not been installed. Most of this cockpit floor area tilts to uncover the engine room. I requested white/red overhead lights for the cockpit and salon. The ceiling cover must be from below deck. There are cushions for the seating area and the seating is long enough to serve as a sleeping area during crossings. I also asked for lee cloths for the salon settee. There will be a complete enclosure with clear and bug screens.
The curved railing on the cockpit enclosure outside lip has not been installed.

The foredeck looks almost complete. The fiberglass structure in front of the mast is the bow thruster cover, which is located at the bow storage area. Amel uses flush Lewmar hatches with stainless steel hardware and hinges.

Old 21-01-2019, 23:56   #146

The chart table area needs the table and some electronics. Amel is installing an Icom VHF, SSB, Iridium GO with external antenna and a Fusion Apollo stereo system. The large hole is for the 15 inch Furuno MFD.

The galley oven/stove, Miele microwave, dishwasher (I figured, what the heck...) and water filter have been installed. The portlight is at eye level and is great to look out while in the galley.

The master stateroom looks almost complete. To my surprise, Amel covered the bed frame in leather, which should make a nice contrast. The lee cloths are over the mattress slats. The bed tilts up and has tons of storage under.

We asked Amel to replace the master cabin port side desk with a cabinet and this is the result. I now have more storage space for my things, not that we are lacking storage.

This is the starboard side of the master cabin. Again, the portlights are at the right height to look out. My wife and I really like the clean, understated elegance of the Amel 50 interior.

Master head looks almost complete also. The black water tank cover is on the floor. Amel makes their own sinks and they are nice and deep.

This is the forward stateroom. The portlights and overhead hatches provide amazing views and light. The bed lifts up and has storage underneath.

Needless to say we are very excited with the build progress. Amel is on track for our scheduled week long instruction & handover during the end of April. Time is going by so fast!
Old 22-01-2019, 23:32   #147

Boat: Island Packet 349

What are they using for wood?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 23:40   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
What are they using for wood?
They have options for light oak (standard wood), mahogany, American walnut, and Indian Rosewood.

We chose the light oak because it made the interior much brighter and it just felt right.
Old 23-01-2019, 01:15   #149

Boat: Southerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
They have options for light oak (standard wood), mahogany, American walnut, and Indian Rosewood.

We chose the light oak because it made the interior much brighter and it just felt right.
Great progress on the build. We have crown cut walnut which gives a nice grain pattern. Is yours the same?
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 04:53   #150

Good choice. Interiors of boats need to be brighter and more welcoming. This is a great thread and looking forward to the next update. Great to see the build in progress and getting nearer to handover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post

B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote