Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 09:47   #361

Boat: 2020 Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

@gibbay - yes. I'm just down the road from you (assuming you're in mill valley!). She'll go to rhode island for this summer, and then i'll be shipping her from RI to CA this fall (october timeframe)...
Old 12-01-2021, 09:53   #362

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
@Acunningham - i believe so, though not a special request. I've literally not been on my new boat yet as...well... #covid.

she'll be shipped to the US in march... until then i watch this daily to get my fix.

That must be agony! Hopefully you'll see her soon.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:21   #363

Quote:
@Acunningham - i believe so, though not a special request. I've literally not been on my new boat yet as...well... #covid.

she'll be shipped to the US in march... until then i watch this daily to get my fix.
Beautiful boat!

Would you know the brand of those solar panels are on the roof?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:27   #364

I don't know the brand they used tbh.. once i get to actually be on the boat i'll be able to report back.

it's 575w on the roof... and 600 on the davits - i'll see how that does... i can upsize to a full 1000w on the davits, but may not need it... so i'm waiting to see the real world numbers
Old 12-01-2021, 10:49   #365

Quote:
I don't know the brand they used tbh.. once i get to actually be on the boat i'll be able to report back.

it's 575w on the roof... and 600 on the davits - i'll see how that does... i can upsize to a full 1000w on the davits, but may not need it... so i'm waiting to see the real world numbers
I would greatly appreciate it if you reported back on all that, eventually.

Cheers and congrats!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 15:18   #366

Will do!
Old 13-01-2021, 05:43   #367

@Mag3 you have a beautiful boat!!! I am sure you'll enjoy her for many years to come. Congratulations again.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 08:30   #368

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I

I cannot wait to see this beauty out on the Bay! Looking very well done Mag3.
BaccaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 02:55   #369

Where can I purchase parts for my Amel Mango 1986?
sully1847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 18:06   #370

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Boom23 and Mag3 - just spent a couple hours first skimming then reading every post. Very informative. Any updates on any YouTube videos on these? Really enjoy seeing more especially on the lesser shown details such as onboard storage options and solutions.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 14:19   #371

@letterkenny - I'll get to finally board my new boat at the end of march when she gets to newport RI.. i'll definitely be doing some detailed videos... storage, engine room, etc.
Old 31-01-2021, 14:39   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Boom23 and Mag3 - just spent a couple hours first skimming then reading every post. Very informative. Any updates on any YouTube videos on these? Really enjoy seeing more especially on the lesser shown details such as onboard storage options and solutions.

Letterkenny, are you based in the town in Donegal? I'm originally from Derry, though am now nomadic. I've placed an order for a new Amel 50 for delivery in early 2022. Some day I hope to cruise around Ireland, stopping in at Lough Swilly and Sheephaven.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 16:51   #373

I came across this thread a few days ago. Very interesting experience of buying a new and expensive yacht. For few years, being retiree, I have been looking for a boat to travel around the world. It is interesting that new Amel 50, 60 uses a split floor level design.

I never lived in a house that had the kitchen floor one or two feet below the dining-living room level. Additionally, these two stairs are very close to the companionway.
Could someone, perhaps Boom23 share his experiences, especially at night and in the rough sea?
Has anyone discussed this with Amel?
Does Amel have "one level" option? I will pay more for safety, convenience and preventing liability hazard.
In contrast, HR advertises its 50 as "One Level Sole", must be a reason.

Now, electricity subject.
Amel uses a 24 V DC system (battery bank) and many different voltage and frequency power converters to match different loads. It is known that such devices, as they are of high power (up to several kW), are a significant source of radio frequency radiation (RFR) and radio frequency interference (RFI).

I do have a question for Boom23 (if I may) , because you have SSB installed and the antenna is probably the backstay, don't you have an issue with receiving weak HF signals, 3.5 MHz to 30 MHz?
Do you have and hear RFI from DC-DC (24 to 12), DC-AC (24 to 220), AC-DC (220 to 24?), solar panels MPPT inverters, auto pilot, +++,?
I am a ham operator and HF radio is important to me.

Years back, sailing on CNSO Mikado 56 (similar DC system to Amel) I had to disconnect all converters (inverters) and then connect ICOM transceiver directly to 12 V (half bank) so that radio contacts could be made.

Please don't get me wrong, I like everything about Amel 50, almost, except for this split level floor feature. For me, the concept of an open and integrated living space on one level is the target solution, i.e. galley, nav table and saloon.
I'm sitting on the fence with my decision and curious to know what others think.

Thank you Boom23 for sharing your thoughts and experience, very educational. Just one more question if you can publicly answer, did you buy her trough EU or US broker or directly from factory. Any recommendations ?
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:08   #374

@radio - they do not offer a "one level" option... they also have door frames you have to step over.. that's part of having water-tight doors. ;-)
Old 08-02-2021, 21:49   #375

Thanks Mag3,
A-50 is a beautiful boat.
I like the waterproof door solution.
Hopefully, this split level is practically irrelevant.

Because of the coronavirus, all my purchase decisions are postponed.
Currently, getting from the US to the EU is practically impossible, (that is my understanding (?))
The hope is that in the coming spring or summer I will have the opportunity to visit few shipyards in Europe, mainly Amel and Hallberg-Rassy.
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote