Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 16:05   #391

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Amel, the company, employs about 150 people. I am not sure what percentage of them work on the 50, or 60 as they usually build two models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
Boom. How many people do you think had a direct hand in constructing your yacht at Amel? It seems like they do so much in house they employ about 150 or so at the shipyard yea?
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:47   #392

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-N-O View Post
Carbon is a huge weight savings versus aluminium and I can see the advantage for a catamaran, but what is the added value, in terms of performance for a monohull?

Toby Hodges of Yachting World says of the Amel 60 in the review below (9:55) that the mast is deck stepped yet it appears that a portion of the spar runs through the saloon. A similar leather encased column is located in the Amel 50. It's interesting; I thought only keel stepped masts extend down through the saloon to the keel.
A carbon rig saves weight aloft which increases righting moment. In other words it's like adding more weight to the keel (or more crew on the rail when racing) without actually adding weight to the boat (in fact reducing overall weight). In simplified terms, increased righting moment means less heel for a given sail area/windspeed, or conversely more sail area/boatspeed for the same windspeed. It may also contribute to a better motion since the rig itself will not induce as much momentum.

I didn't check with Amel but if they say the mast is deck stepped the column that you see in the salon is most likely a mast compression post of some description, seeing that the main bulkhead is a couple of metres ahead of that point and has two large openings into the forward cabins. There still needs to be 'something' to counter the compression force of the mast - the deck itself is not enough.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 08:24   #393

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

that's correct - it's a compression post. having had a keel stepped mast for years on my previous boat that i fought with to no end to keep dry, i can't tell you how nice it is to have a completely dry boat.
Old 24-03-2021, 19:16   #394
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes, I to like the deck mounted masts which my 2 are.
Apart from the dryness you mention and shorter length resulting in weight reduction, the compression posts are much smaller in dimensons, making it easier to hide within the accomodation
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 21:09   #395

Boat: cal cruising 46

Is the keel on the new Amel 50 externally bolted on?
edwmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 09:56   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
I crawled all through number 2 in the bathtub when i visited the factory and did a test sail to decide to buy.
I'm getting ready to place my order in January. How did you arrange to visit before doing so? Just ask? Assuming COVID lets me travel, I'd feel a lot more comfortable visiting the factory and speaking with them directly before committing.
JetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:03   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetForMe View Post
I'm getting ready to place my order in January. How did you arrange to visit before doing so? Just ask? Assuming COVID lets me travel, I'd feel a lot more comfortable visiting the factory and speaking with them directly before committing.

Just ask Antoine Rioton, the commercial director of Amel. If you need his email address, send me a private message and I'll let you know it.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:33   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetForMe View Post
Hi Jet.

Before Covid I visited Amel and sailed the 50, as one of six yards in two weeks. I chose another boat for reasons that work for me and mine …

… but, I was hugely impressed with everything I saw at Amel, along with the 50 itself.

Suggestion - if you like everything about the 50 and can afford it, don’t delay purely for the need to eyeball it yourself. I very much doubt you’ll see anything that will turn you off. Get on with life while the going is good. 🙂
Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 23:48   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
Hi Jet.

Before Covid I visited Amel and sailed the 50, as one of six yards in two weeks. I chose another boat for reasons that work for me and mine …

… but, I was hugely impressed with everything I saw at Amel, along with the 50 itself.

Suggestion - if you like everything about the 50 and can afford it, don’t delay purely for the need to eyeball it yourself. I very much doubt you’ll see anything that will turn you off. Get on with life while the going is good. ��
My delay is due to restrictions on when I can sell stock from a recent IPO, but this represents a big enough purchase for me that I won't do it without getting a lot of questions answered directly by the factory, and I really want to see one with my own eyes. I'm very nearly sold on this boat, but I have plans for it that would be best served by help during the build phase.
JetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 20:31   #400

Hi Boom,

This is a fantastic thread thanks for the effort. I've ordered a Amel 50 myself due for delivery next April. I was wondering how you went about getting all the photos of the build. Did you take them? did AMEL do it for you? are they all your boat or various?

best regards
DropAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 22:06   #401

You're welcome! I'm glad the info helped.

I visited the factory 3-4 times and I took lots of pictures. I also had Amel send me pictures of my boat during the built process.

You'll enjoy your new boat. Also, the company is great!

Congratulations.
Old 24-08-2021, 22:25   #402

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I saw quite a lot of amel boats while cruising all over the world. These are very sturdy boats and many are well traveled.

However it leaves a bad taste to think of each of these wealthy owners of amel who I met who have the means and funds more than anyone to use electric or vegetable oil but instead choose to pollute selfishly as I sail without any engine and manage to visit more places as well. It is backwards and immoral that the few richest people cause the most pollution, and this is yet another manifestation of injustice with pictures of "engines" broadcasting the intention of future crimes while people speak of their "IPO" stocks which is just a legal form of theft.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 23:09   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I saw quite a lot of amel boats while cruising all over the world. These are very sturdy boats and many are well traveled.

However it leaves a bad taste to think of each of these wealthy owners of amel who I met who have the means and funds more than anyone to use electric or vegetable oil but instead choose to pollute selfishly as I sail without any engine and manage to visit more places as well. It is backwards and immoral that the few richest people cause the most pollution, and this is yet another manifestation of injustice with pictures of "engines" broadcasting the intention of future crimes while people speak of their "IPO" stocks which is just a legal form of theft.
Thank you for your illuminating opinions, but this thread is about the building of the Amel 50. Post your opinions about what/how to sail or live our lives somewhere else. Have a nice day..
Old 24-09-2021, 03:31   #404

For those who just can't get enough of watching Amels being built, Amel 50 hull number 63, provisionally named "Entropy", started construction yesterday. I've posted some pictures Amel took of applying the first hull layers to the mould on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/alistair.cunningham.1

and will continue to post updates of the build process on Facebook as Amel send me them.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 06:16   #405

Congrats! Im sure it will be an exciting but hard wait until you can get her in the water!
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote