Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2020, 07:29   #1

Amel 50 vs. Garcia 52 vs. Discovery 48

So just curious if there are any other people out there who's debated the pro's and con's of these three (or similar) vessels and what they feel the deal breakers might be for a couple cruising. I'm planning on getting some time behind the wheel on each at some point in the future (damn you covid19), and interested in any armchair sailors critiques of these. The interest and use are in this order:

1) Safety/Robustness of systems
2) Comfort
3) Ease of handling and maintenance by a couple in their late 40's
4) Sailing 75% in warm climate 25% in very cold rugged environments, so like the concept of being able to get into a meter of water/beach it in the tropics with the Discovery and Garcia
5) Ability to carry enough gear/supplies to be off the grid for 2-3 months.

I like the idea of having a big enough boat that its extremely comfortable but not so large we spend more time maintaining. I'm a big believer in lagom (swedish word for not to little or not too much).

All would be excellent choices, all are relatively close in price. Honestly if as we get closer to placing an order after deciding on one and a crazy deal/distressed sale pops up on any of these I'd be ready to act quickly without hesitation and deal with the shortcomings of a particular vessel. It does give me pause to see so many cases of this happening, stories of "circumstances have changed" or "owner has new plan" with nice new boats.

Anyway feel free to rip apart the shortcomings of these three!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:18   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Amel 50 vs. Garcia 52 vs. Discovery 48

Those are three thoroughbred offshore boats, all of which have similar sailplans.

For me, the hard dodger on the Garcia 52 is such a beautiful and functional offshore item. I realize the Amel has a "hard dodger" as well, but its more of a cockpit pilothouse than a dodger. The Garcia's is much sleeker.

The Discovery is going to have a more exposed helm obviously than the other two. I'll just throw this out there- what about the Outbound 52? Another boat with a similar pedigree to add to your list.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:20   #3

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Amel 50 would be my clear first choice. Garcia second, and last the Discovery. I think the Discovery is way overpriced. I know what you are saying about draft but it's not as important on such a large boat because you can carry a big and fast enough dinghy to get to shore while anchored further out in deeper water. I wouldn't hesitate taking a glass boat to cold climates with ice potential either.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:29   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

What about Hallberg Rassy?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
What about Hallberg Rassy?
HR's are such beautiful boats, and my wife being Swedish would love it! The only drawback for us is they seem a little "darker" inside vs. the others, more cave like if that makes sense.
Old 20-08-2020, 08:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Amel 50 would be my clear first choice. Garcia second, and last the Discovery. I think the Discovery is way overpriced. I know what you are saying about draft but it's not as important on such a large boat because you can carry a big and fast enough dinghy to get to shore while anchored further out in deeper water. I wouldn't hesitate taking a glass boat to cold climates with ice potential either.
I know there are tons of glass boats that go into the artic, I'm trying to think about what would give the best of both world. When we visited Dusseldorf this year we were smitten with the new Oyster 565, Garcia 52 and the Amel 60. I'm thinking though they might be starting to be getting to be too big of boats, but I may be wrong. To your point maybe I am overthinking the draft issue, but we were just sailing (before Covid lockdowns) through French Polynesia, and I can remember distinctly swimming under our charter boat in the mooring fields of Bora Bora looking at the 6' deep keel swing over top of coral heads and be missing them by 18" or so. I do not think we could have motored around to the lagoon side where all of the hotels are at in an Oyster 565 or Amel 50/60. The centerboard option is $200k on the 565, which seems dumb to be worried about when the boat is already approaching $2M what's another 10% lol.

I'll have to take a deeper look at the Outbound 52 as well, damn so many choices!
Old 20-08-2020, 08:55   #7

$200k for a centerboard? Good lord...
Old 20-08-2020, 09:40   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

If you are serious about the rugged 25%, then Garcia is the only option.

However, having seen a Garcia up close I would not buy one.

There are other boats, Garcia-like (I mean somewhat similar) that are better choices.

E.g.
https://www.boreal-yachts.com/?lang=en
https://www.kmy.nl/view-models/bestevaer-custom/

Of the other two - IF you think that tropical 75% has a higher priority, I would take any and my personal preference would an Amel. Imho Amels have better deck layout, better cockpit protection, and are easier on a small crew of (1 or 2). However, I have never seen one with a lifting keel !!!

I like Discovery boats too, but I have a singular dislike for their Oyster-like clutter. Posh and impressive, but less practical.

Well. There you go ;-)

All the boats you listed are great ones. It is all personal preference in your case.

Cheers,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 10:56   #9

Boreal 52... <3
Old 20-08-2020, 13:50   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

49 Bestevaer Built by KM Yachtbuilders, no other choice
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 14:22   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Bestevaers indeed have one very nice point - inside that doghouse, there is a 360 degrees view nav station as well as a full length berth/seat for the one off watch. Should you decide the one on watch could need some extra help quick.

They are also, I think, the only ones at this size to be had with a tiller. Which tells us how very well balanced the design is.

Which reminds me of the same pilothouse philosophy deployed in Bougainvilleas.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 00:54   #12

If you have any questions about the exploration 52 feel free to ask.
real_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 08:42   #13

Overall my choice would be the Amel.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:20   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
So just curious if there are any other people out there who's debated the pro's and con's of these three (or similar) vessels and what they feel the deal breakers might be for a couple cruising. I'm planning on getting some time behind the wheel on each at some point in the future (damn you covid19), and interested in any armchair sailors critiques of these. The interest and use are in this order:

1) Safety/Robustness of systems
2) Comfort
3) Ease of handling and maintenance by a couple in their late 40's
4) Sailing 75% in warm climate 25% in very cold rugged environments, so like the concept of being able to get into a meter of water/beach it in the tropics with the Discovery and Garcia
5) Ability to carry enough gear/supplies to be off the grid for 2-3 months.

I like the idea of having a big enough boat that its extremely comfortable but not so large we spend more time maintaining. I'm a big believer in lagom (swedish word for not to little or not too much).

All would be excellent choices, all are relatively close in price. Honestly if as we get closer to placing an order after deciding on one and a crazy deal/distressed sale pops up on any of these I'd be ready to act quickly without hesitation and deal with the shortcomings of a particular vessel. It does give me pause to see so many cases of this happening, stories of "circumstances have changed" or "owner has new plan" with nice new boats.

Anyway feel free to rip apart the shortcomings of these three!
Just curious, how did you arrive at those three? People in that market would usually be looking at Swans, Hallberg Rasseys and Oysters as well. Have never heard anything negative about the Amels.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Definitely the Amel. The support system is the best in the business and almost all of the comfort/safety features have been used for 20 years or more. It's nearly indestructible and can be easily single-handed (in the event your wife has to get you to medical treatment).

Tags
arc