Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 12:48   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
. . . I definitely agree that it is well engineered and indeed well manufactured. A shaft is simpler and more robust.
Shafts also have their problems. The seals are not immortal, and can give you some right problems when they go -- and have sunk probably hundreds of boats. Aligning and balancing them can be a problem; vibration can be a problem. Cutlass bearings are a problem. They take up a very great amount of space.

Every system has its problems. All other things being equal, shaft drive is my preference and sail drive my least favorite; the Catep drive for me would be somewhere in between, but with some significant advantages. But this is all relative -- every drive system can be a PITA.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 13:43   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Amel Super Maramu

Yes, but shafts are dead simple, and every jack leg mechanic knows how to fix, add a Brunton Sigma drive and alignment is a non issue.
Sigma drive is nothing but a Rzeppa joint really and if alignment is close it should have a nearly infinite life limit.
Rzeppa joints have been around for a long time and are very strong, they are what is in the steering knuckles of Military all wheel drive trucks for instance
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote