Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 13:18   #16

Re: American Mariner - first boat

I just purchased a 24' American Mariner. I'm concerned about it's ability to sail into the wind and also its ability to turn. I'm a new sailor, just completed ASA 101 last June. Any thoughts from anyone? We haven't been able to launch the boat yet.
Farmer Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 14:20   #17

Boat: American Mariner 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMarnier View Post
I have a 26 fter I purchased last year I go out of portage pay to Ballard locks and I'm out to Puget sound these is in Seattle area I'm be bringing the mast down to add sum newer items I like more information about the vessel like the keel size my rule of thumb stay in 12 ft of water my alarm goes off I'm 25 years old I'm a liveaboard this my first vessel I've been to sailing 101 and sail to Blake and back I wanna practice more anchoring im not ever comfortable I have that worries me drag and what else you guys think or know that will help me in my life as a liveaboard and single hand sailing will the boat handle long trips like crossing oceans
I would be the last person to give any advice about single handed or crossing oceans. I have yet to do either.

I can say that, my 24' draws like 2'8" draft, so my alarm is set at 6' feet. Last year I upgraded to a Mantus anchor and love it. I learned the hard way not to start a post about anchors, its worst than asking "what's the best gun to carry aboard" But, the Mantus sets solid and holds, it has removed a lot of my concern.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 14:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jim View Post
I just purchased a 24' American Mariner. I'm concerned about it's ability to sail into the wind and also its ability to turn. I'm a new sailor, just completed ASA 101 last June. Any thoughts from anyone? We haven't been able to launch the boat yet.
Welcome to CF. It is a great place with a lot of great people.

Like Drliindahf, I have come to love my 24' American Mariner. While I have nothing to compare it to, I have had no issue sailing close hauled or turning.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 14:52   #20

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I'm looking forward to launching it soon and trying it out.
Old 02-09-2018, 14:00   #21

Boat: Montgomery 17

Howy,
I've enjoyed following this thread for some time. I'm looking at an American Mariner 24, for sale online, and have a couple questions. What's the headroom in the main cabin? And is the ballast in the keel internal or external? Thanks, Jim B
jbeerstecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 20:32   #22

I have been sailing an American Mariner 24' (7.5) for one season and am quite happy with it. It is very stable, though not the fastest boat on the lake. It has a full 6' of headroom when you are standing in the middle of the cabin and the room in the head, which is separated by a curtain from the main cabin is very good for the size of the boat. We just got done sailing it today in fairly choppy conditions on Fern Ridge reservoir in Eugene Oregon and it handles well. Very stable.

It came with just one jib which is a 130% Genoa. It would have been nice to have a smaller jib. I didn't raise it at all because of the conditions. Other than that I am very happy with it.
Old 03-09-2018, 20:38   #23

Forgot about the ballast. It has 1200 pounds of ballast in a shoal keel. It only draws about 32 inches.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jim View Post
I have been sailing an American Mariner 24' (7.5) for one season and am quite happy with it. It is very stable, though not the fastest boat on the lake. It has a full 6' of headroom when you are standing in the middle of the cabin and the room in the head, which is separated by a curtain from the main cabin is very good for the size of the boat. We just got done sailing it today in fairly choppy conditions on Fern Ridge reservoir in Eugene Oregon and it handles well. Very stable.

It came with just one jib which is a 130% Genoa. It would have been nice to have a smaller jib. I didn't raise it at all because of the conditions. Other than that I am very happy with it.
It is good to hear that you are happy with it. I haven't been able to get out in months. I agree with your assessment of the AM.
Old 20-08-2019, 11:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
Hi, new to sailing and new to forum. While I have limited sailing experience (ASA 101), and a couple of day trips I would like to purchase my first boat. I live in a land locked state, however, we have a couple of very large lakes. I am looking at purchasing an American Mariner 24ft (I don't know if it is the 7 or the 7.5).
I have been unable to locate any useful information regarding this boat; the main use would be lake sailing however I would like any input on coastal cruising capabilities, pros, cons, handling, basically any information on this boat would be helpful for a beginner.
I know you posted along time ago, I’m an owner of an American mariner 24... have done many things to her and would be glad to share... thanks Rw
Rwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 11:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
Hi, new to sailing and new to forum. While I have limited sailing experience (ASA 101), and a couple of day trips I would like to purchase my first boat. I live in a land locked state, however, we have a couple of very large lakes. I am looking at purchasing an American Mariner 24ft (I don't know if it is the 7 or the 7.5).
I have been unable to locate any useful information regarding this boat; the main use would be lake sailing however I would like any input on coastal cruising capabilities, pros, cons, handling, basically any information on this boat would be helpful for a beginner.
I have one and sailed many years on her. Would share lots of info if you’re still interested
Old 20-08-2019, 11:57   #27

I’ve sailed one for many years, and would share any info you might like if you’re still looking
Old 20-08-2019, 13:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwig View Post
I’ve sailed one for many years, and would share any info you might like if you’re still looking
Now we have at least three of us, we should start a group. I would love to hear some stories or any useful information. I have been tied up at work and have not had a chance to take my boat out in a long time. However, last weekend I signed the contract on a wet slip at the local lake. I hope to be out almost every weekend now.

One thing I have been looking at is A/C (shore power only) while in the slip. Anyone have any info or suggestions? It is Arizona in August.
Old 21-08-2019, 09:51   #29

I never did mess with a/c., and can’t imagine az in the summer... I sail on lake coeur d alene in summer and all around down there in wintet
Old 21-08-2019, 10:32   #30

One thing I did was to modify my trailer so the tongue extends 8’, the ramp at the marina is so shallow we would have to drive innall the way up to the bed of pickup Much better now Also modified the mast step with ears on the front of it to pin the gin pole to...now I can raise and lower mast easily by myself

Tags
marine