Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 09:38   #31

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Re: American Mariner - first boat

I was launching using a tow / cable system. Then one day thought I would just see how far I had to put the truck into the water, she floated off about the time my rear tires had about 8" of water on them. So, no more rigging and de-rigging from the truck etc...

I have a portable a/c unit (type on wheels that you run the hose out a window) that I am thinking of setting in the hanging closest and running the hose out the forward hatch. But, that puts the hose at the opening of the V-berth. Thus, super heating the berth.

It does not appear that anyone makes those carry on a/c that west marine use to sale anymore. I have seen people rig up normal window units with homemade ductwork, but do not like the looks of those setting on the deck.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 19:10   #32

enjoyed reading through the thread. I've had an american mariner 27 for a few years and have recently lost my rudder. wonder if anybody can pass on dimensions, pictures and any ideas as to building a new one.
poitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:50   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, poitski.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by poitski View Post
enjoyed reading through the thread. I've had an american mariner 27 for a few years and have recently lost my rudder. wonder if anybody can pass on dimensions, pictures and any ideas as to building a new one.
Mine is a 24', but I think I can find some pictures of the rudder if you want them. However, she is in a wet slip right now. Next time I get down there I can attempt to pull some dimensions.
Old 13-12-2019, 15:12   #35

That would be much appreciated! i also lost the rudder head assembly where it attaches to the tiller, so any photos of that connection would help. thanks.
poitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 15:55   #36

Hi! I know I’m about 7 years too late with this reply but just in case ….

The American’s are great starter boats. Not racers but nice and forgiving. And the stand-in keel creates great headroom. In the 70s my dad sold a bunch of Americans to newbie Iowa sailors. Once a year he would lead a group of them down to the Gulf of Mexico and teach them big water sailing skills. They all did just fine. 3 times we took our own American 26 from Florida across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas and cruised the islands. The 4 of us (Dad,Mom and 2 kids) did just fine living aboard and island hopping for 6 weeks at a time until it was time to go back to snowy Iowa.

I currently sail one of my Dad’s 26s in the South Puget Sound. He had sold it to a family in 1976. They sailed it for years and a few years ago it boomeranged back to me. Since I have about a bazillion of my Mom’s slides showing all makes of Americans sailing in the 70s (our customer’s boats) it has been relatively easy to restore her because I know what I’m aiming for. Hope you went ahead and got that American. Enjoy!
PDX Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 12:51   #37

PDX that is great story. It is hard to believe that I bought mine seven years ago. It is setting in a wet slip in the local lake right now, though I have not been able to use her in months. Normal excuses, Covid, work, kids etc...

But, in 2017 I did take her to the Gulf of Mexico (Gulfport, MS) for a week. I wrote another thread (pre trip for information and then posted a post trip report). If you are interested in reading.

I always wondered about a trip down the Mississippi River.
Old 15-02-2024, 17:18   #38

Boat: American mariner 24

First time sailor, and poster to this forum. I purchased an American mariner 24 last fall and have been working to get her ready to sail here in Southern New Mexico. This thread has been one of the best sources of information I have found so far. Was a group created for owners of AMs?
AMSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine