Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 15:58   #1

Boat: American Mariner 24'
American Mariner - first boat

Hi, new to sailing and new to forum. While I have limited sailing experience (ASA 101), and a couple of day trips I would like to purchase my first boat. I live in a land locked state, however, we have a couple of very large lakes. I am looking at purchasing an American Mariner 24ft (I don't know if it is the 7 or the 7.5).
I have been unable to locate any useful information regarding this boat; the main use would be lake sailing however I would like any input on coastal cruising capabilities, pros, cons, handling, basically any information on this boat would be helpful for a beginner.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:28   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: American Mariner - first boat

I don't know the boat, but looked it up on sailboat data.

AMERICAN 24 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

By the numbers not a racer type, but looks like a worthy lake boat or coastal cruiser to me. Some hardy souls could make that a livaboard.

Does it have the yanmar diesel or and outboard?

Someone here probably owned or owns one.

As always be careful to inspect it well, deck condition, standing rigging, etc. Ask the owner a lot of questions about maintenance.

Best of luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 16:44   #3

Thank you, four winds...

It has an outboard (not included in the sale). Deck & hull appears to be in good shape and solid. Rigging and sails (one set) looks ok. It needs a lot, complete interior refit, running rigging, paint.... Not that I know what I'm looking at, but the price is right and it has a good trailer. Lots of room in the interior, lead keel.... Not really into racing, but into safety and stability.

My hope is that after some time on the lake (and hopefully ASA103 maybe 104) week long trips to the CA coast. I just did not want to make the investment into an almost complete refit, to not be able to spend time in open water with it.
Old 20-06-2016, 16:34   #4

Re: American Mariner - first boat- update

So, I purchased the American Mariner (24 foot) on May 14, 2016. Since then, I have replaced the carbon steel fittings on the standing and running rigging that the previous owner had installed with Stainless. New running rigging, and outboard motor and motor mount. Rewire about 90% of the electrical, new bilge pump and lights. Refit on the internal fuel cell and lines and a fresh water system flush and refit.

At that point (first week of June), I wanted to try it out before any more time and money went into it. I took it to the local sailboat shop for a quick walk through, where they pointed out a few more items I missed (a questionable, but not leaking, through-hole etc…) and had them launch it. Spent two days (rented wet slip) on the lake with the family and had a blast.

It was a little slow and did not move in light wind. However, more concerning was the heel and the rocking that took place. This is a very large lake and we were over taken by large (30+ foot) power boats and we would take a 3-4 foot wake on the beam and it rocked back and forth in a dramatic way. On the first day we had 10-15 mph wind according to the weather report (no wind or knot meter installed), yet reached pretty good speeds with the main and full jib up. At one point we had a good heel going, my son at the helm and he brings us into the wind to kill the progress out of fear of capsizing.

Please remember, I (and my family) have limited sailing experience (ASA 101) and a couple of day trips, so go easy. The boat has 1200 lb lead keel, but is a shoal (??) keel so only about 24-26 inches long, short and fat. Total displacement of the boat is 4,300 lb, empty. Is the rocking really a safety issue or a comfort issue? What's the likely hood of capsizing during moderate conditions sailing or waives broadside? I never felt unsafe on the boat on the lake, but wanted something that later could be used for coastal cursing off of CA or Sea of Cortez. Thoughts before I begin painting and other work?
Old 20-06-2016, 18:08   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I dont know your boat or anything about costal cruising (yet) but as a lake sailor I can tell you that lakes with power boats are frustrating. Especially if the power boaters are not well mannered.
You can mitigate the frustration factor a little by anticipating where the boats around you are likely to go. Big lakes often have a "race" where the power boats troll up and down the lake. Try to learn where that is and sail else where.
Also, since your draft is shallow you can sail away from the main channels until you feel more confident. There is also no shame in reefing down your sails so flatten out the boat while you gain confidence. If you have a main and jib or genoa, sail using the main only for a bit.

As for wakes, they really arent dangerous but they can be a real ride. Hang on! If the wake is across your bow steer over the wake at 45-60 degrees. If the wake is hitting you broad side you will have to pretty much ride it out. You can turn into it as above but you will have to factor in your sails. If the air is light you probably wil just depower your sail, but if the winds are higher you may have an accidental gybe. Thats no fun so we usually just ride it out.
We emulate the shrunken head and shout "hang on, its going to be a bumpy ride" in our best Jamaican accent of course!

Teach your kids now to always wear a life jacket and to stow any loose articles before you sail.
Old 23-06-2016, 09:27   #6

Sea Dreaming,
Thanks for the advice. While under power (motor) I do turn into the wakes, however while under sail I do make everyone aware of the incoming wake. The boys find the “ride” amusing the wife and daughter does not, will have to try the voice.
Old 23-06-2016, 10:38   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Wakes happen. Even in a 12k lb boat on the ICW we get waked by some bigger power boats. one thing that sailing has done for me and the spouse is improve communication. She can be making lunch bellow and "wake wake wake" she drops my samich and holds on.

As for healing the boat, you get use to it. First few times over 10 degrees the pucker factor goes up but after some miles 15 is fine and just tells you it may be time to depower a bit.

You an get the wind speed by looking at the wave crests. There is a chart someplace and i find it pretty accurate.
The Garbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 10:41   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Understanding and Utilizing the Secrets of Waves - BoatSafe.com
Old 24-06-2016, 18:48   #9

Garbone,
That is very interesting. Thank you for the link, very helpful. The boat does not have a clinometer, guess I show install one before next trip out.
Old 24-06-2016, 19:18   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wakes that rock a boat can be dangerous to crew.
1. Man Overboard
2. Accidental Gybe (hit by boom)
3. Injury. (Falls, thrown into hard surfaces, burns or scalding in the galley)

I suggest you make it a firm "Rule of the Boat" that anyone in your family or crew be taught that anyone that sees a big wake coming should alert the rest of the crew by shouting "Wake Coming!" This should alert the crew to prepare and hold on.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
Hi, new to sailing and new to forum. While I have limited sailing experience (ASA 101), and a couple of day trips I would like to purchase my first boat. I live in a land locked state, however, we have a couple of very large lakes. I am looking at purchasing an American Mariner 24ft (I don't know if it is the 7 or the 7.5).
I have been unable to locate any useful information regarding this boat; the main use would be lake sailing however I would like any input on coastal cruising capabilities, pros, cons, handling, basically any information on this boat would be helpful for a beginner.
Hi
This post is far after your purchase but I have owned two of these wonderful and rare boats ... email me with any questions ... i refurbished two 24 footers and sad to say looks like I'm going to be selling mine due to bad knees at 66 ... the design is great with lots of room and height for living and easy cruising in our Florida shallow waters with a 2 foot Draft. ... I've been in 15 to 20 mph winds and yes the wakes are a pain ... just angle 45 degrees through them and she is happy ... at first a little scarry but I just don't think you could ever turn her over with that heavy keel and wide beam. Happy sailing.
Drlindahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:40   #12

Drlindahf, it is with great joy and relief to find someone else that knows these boats. I haven't spend much time on the water since this post, however have finished the bottom, topside, deck paint and applied Kiwigrip to the deck. I also installed new battery, bilge alarms, radio etc.... The whole summer I kept saying "I want to do "X" this weekend, we will sail next weekend", until I woke up one morning and it was winter.

However, I have come to love this boat. It is does have lots of room, and we can sleep the whole family in it and we are getting more confident in sailing her. I am starting to paint the interior (I have posted on it), and I have an idea to install more storage. I would like to talk to you about this and other issues such as the black water system. I have not touched the head (our marina has use of the restrooms etc...) but would like to update or replace the system.

In this post, I had considered CA for coastal sailing, however it hit me that my wife and I are from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and we go back to visit family in the summer, so I took another week off and plan to sail the gulf this summer. (Also another post about this decision.)

I will email (maybe tonight) with detail questions. Thank you.

And welcome to a great community. I only have a few posts, but the help that I have received from this site is awesome.
Old 26-01-2017, 03:44   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dr.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 12:48   #14

Drlindahf I sent a PM, if you want me to email, please send me your email address
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05   #15

I have a 26 fter I purchased last year I go out of portage pay to Ballard locks and I'm out to Puget sound these is in Seattle area I'm be bringing the mast down to add sum newer items I like more information about the vessel like the keel size my rule of thumb stay in 12 ft of water my alarm goes off I'm 25 years old I'm a liveaboard this my first vessel I've been to sailing 101 and sail to Blake and back I wanna practice more anchoring im not ever comfortable I have that worries me drag and what else you guys think or know that will help me in my life as a liveaboard and single hand sailing will the boat handle long trips like crossing oceans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	167490  
AmericanMarnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine