Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 13:36   #16

Re: Anchor choice for Chesapeake Bay

Thank you all for the great comments and input! See ya on the Bay.
jserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:00   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

I've used a 45 lb. CQR all over the Bay, and north and it has never failed me even in some serious conditions. Yes, they don't work well in grass or sand, but both are hard to find from here north.

That said, I put a Rocna on the boat as I'm heading south, and added a Fortress X-23 on my stern rail as a brake/secondary. I would have kept the CQR for backup on the bow as I have two rollers, but they won't both fit.

My experience with Danforth style anchors is that when they work the work well and when they don't they don't work at all. I've had terrible luck with them in grass...they just seem to skid along and do nothing.

If your sailing is going to be limited to the Bay and north, a CQR is not a bad choice, particularly as you can pick them up used for, as mentioned, @ $100. In fact, if you're near Annapolis stop in Bacon Sails and Marine as they have a ton of used anchors on consignment, most of them Danforths and CQRs. If you're set on buying a brand new anchor, might as well go with a Rocna. They are ugly, but they set fast and when they set it's like hitting a brick wall. Also, they come up a lot cleaner than most other anchors.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:41   #18

Our Cal 39 drug its 35 lb. CQR around the bay for years, then did the same with its 35 Delta, only not quite so frequently. Now we sleep well with a 44lb. Rocna....

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:50   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A Fortress is great secondary, but as a brake? Terrible.

If you try to set a Fortress in a tide or running at 3-4 knots there is a probability it will plane in the water.

Not a criticism of Fortress. I love them. But it is not for that. You would be better off with the CQR, which might not set but would slow you down. And if you need to set the CQR up front, it will be easier to lower into the dinghy from there.
Old 25-10-2016, 15:55   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

If you try to set a Fortress in a tide or running at 3-4 knots there is a probability it will plane in the water.

Not a criticism of Fortress. I love them. But it is not for that. You would be better off with the CQR, which might not set but would slow you down. And if you need to set the CQR up front, it will be easier to lower into the dinghy from there.
What size Fortress anchor? How much chain? What depth of water? I don't think that blanket statements such as the above are fair or reasonable since the performance of our anchors (or any anchors, for that matter) can rely heavily on those factors.

For example:

"I was sailing into Conch Cut leading into Georgetown, Exumas in the Bahamas. Just as I was passing over the reef bar, I switched off my autopilot to hand steer over the bar and into the deeper channel when I heard a "pop" and my wheel steering spun freely.

I had the full Genoa out, and without rudder steering, the bow fell off heading straight for the nearby island of Channel Cay. I immediately diagnosed the problem of a failed steering cable and released the jib sheet and cut the motor.

In my horror, I realized that my boat, an Irwin 37 foot ketch, my only home, was completely out-of-control and headed for the rocks in just seconds. As a matter of routine I always keep at least one anchor ready to go, but in 30 years of sailing experience I had yet to do an emergency anchor deployment.

I raced forward, terrified as the island cliff was rising before me, and immediately released my Fortress FX-23 with 50 feet of new stainless steel chain and about ten feet of 5/8" nylon rode that was already secured to a cleat.

As the chain was rapidly running out I said a quick prayer that the anchor would bite first time, there would be no time for a re-set before the impending shipwreck disaster! My heart was pounding! I gripped the bow pulpit and braced, watching the rapidly approaching cliff which was now a mere 100 feet away, as the chain ran out.

Suddenly all 22,000 pounds of my sailboat came to a stop and executed a 180 degree turn in 2 seconds.

We were now safely at anchor in 15 feet of water in a 3-4 swell with the stern of my boat JUST 30 FEET FROM THE CLIFF!

The Fortress anchor had saved my life and my boat!

Several passing boats radioed and offered assistance. After letting my heart rate come back down to normal range. I was able to motor up and retrieve the somewhat bent anchor, and used the autopilot (which attaches directly to the rudder quadrant) to "fly by wire" to a safe anchorage in Elizabeth Harbor, Georgetown.

I have returned this beloved anchor to Fortress in Ft Lauderdale and they have replaced it with no hassle.

Sincerely,

Capt Joe Greno – s/v SAGA Georgetown, Bahamas"
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 15:58   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Had that happen years ago with a steel Danforth! We were racing against a spring flood in Racoon Straits (SF bay) and slowly loosing ground over the bottom, but making a few knots through the water. Decided anchoring would be the smart thing, but the damn anchor would not sink below a few feet. This was with a 20H Danforth with only a short bit of chain before the nylon (race boat, ya know!).

I reckon a Fortress would be a lot worse!

Jim

Noted the post from Fortress above... I think that in the example mentioned, it was the long chain that got th anchor down to where it engaged the bottom, nt the anchor itself.
Old 25-10-2016, 16:07   #22

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 16:09   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Anchor choice for Chesapeake Bay

It was good writing tho, Capt Fortress. Almost like ad copy sorta. Video or it didn't happen.

PS: I luv my Fortresses but the Rocna is my starting pitcher.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 16:22   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
+1 on the Rocna as another Chesapeake cruiser. Would never go back to my old Danforth type. Bacons in Annapolis have good stock and great pricing. Good luck.
I just checked the price of the Rocna Anchor! Wow!

It certainly isn't needed in the bay though but if you want to spend a lot for a cool anchor I get it. I did the same with new mainsails and spinnakers for my racing beach cats

My boat was $2,000.00 and the 20 lb CQR anchor that was mounted on the bow at the time has always held in winds to 30 knots on both sides of the bay from Tangier south and I have never used the engine to set.

The CQR with 200' of rode and chain is my main anchor and there is a backup Bruce with 250' rode and heavy chain maybe 40'

As kids with zero training on boats and anchoring, we used whatever was on the $300-$500 boats we bought to anchor in 44' of water along the 80' deep inner Pocomoke Channel near Watts Island and rarely had a problem even though at times the tide was rippin'

44' was along the slope of the channel and seemed to be where the largest grey trout were located back in the day.......which we caught on peeler crabs we bought at the local crab houses in Deep Creek etc when they had them in those floating wooden enclosures
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 18:25   #25

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Thomm225, If you are Tangier and south just about anything will hold well. It's the northern bay with thick soft silt that is the problem and even Rocnas have been know to drag there if not over sized. My Delta 22 drags in strong winds in the creeks off the Choptank River.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 03:37   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Thomm225, If you are Tangier and south just about anything will hold well. It's the northern bay with thick soft silt that is the problem and even Rocnas have been know to drag there if not over sized. My Delta 22 drags in strong winds in the creeks off the Choptank River.
Ok, thanks.

I kept mentioning my cruising grounds here so they wouldn't be confused with the upper bay which I do plan to explore on my boat before I ever head out to begin cruising full time. (It was the same on the seaside down here as for as anchoring....but even muddier if you can believe that)

Also no problems in North Carolina in and around Morehead City/Cape Lookout on power boats.

Also sailed the gulf and ICW from around the Panama City, FL area and as far west as Biloxi, MS and the nearby islands but never anchored.

I mostly noticed CQR's on the bows of the cruiser's boats at the time though 1993-2005.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 05:01   #27

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

The setup I mentioned is currently specifically for single-handing on the ICW where depths are moderate yet the ability to stop the boat fairly quickly is an important safety measure. It's advantages are anchor is about 3' away from my hands, next to a canvas bucket of chain and rode. It can be deployed in about 10 seconds, payed out by hand and hand set with a turn on the cleat.

In general, outside of the ICW, if I'm passing through an area with faster moving water and need to stop, I'm going to use my primary.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 05:04   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Wouldn't that be more a function of anchor weight and speed through the water, i.e., not necessarily related to anchor brand/style/shape?

I've not ever had a Fortress skate or plane like that, though I've read where people have said that happened from time to time. I've always wonder if that may apply only to the lighter weight ones? The lightest I've used is an FX-23 (15 lbs) and never had that happen (that I know of), certainly not with the FX-37 (21 lbs) we got later.

-Chris
Old 30-10-2016, 13:43   #29

Boat: Swan 48 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserge View Post
Hi,

Apologies if this question has been beaten to death.

I am researching for the best primary anchor for Beneteau 38 primarily sailing in Chesapeake Bay.

Currently I have factory installed Fortress (I think). My dealer advised to use Delta 35. Other experts advised to use Bruce type.

What would be your recommendations for this area? Also what size/type of the secondary anchor would you suggest?

Thanks
You have had lots of advice but I have not seen anyone ask whether you are using chain or rope road with a small bit of chain to the anchor.
I have a Swan 48 in the lower bay but cruise the Chesapeake north to south. Except for winter I race and cruise in the NEUS, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. For many years I used a rope rode and 30 feet of chain with a genuine CQR 35 lb anchor and a Danforth 40 lb backup. Since changing to 275' of chain I put down the CQR anywhere and sleep deep. Hurricane Matthew recently presented 40 knots in the Bay. I was out, had the Danforth rigged as a spare and there was no trouble (I overslept the ground coffee and perk.)

If I were in your situation I would go to an all chain rode and a CQR primary anchor. This has worked well for me in 40 knots + in Newfoundland and should cover your needs in the Chesapeake.
Airville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 04:50   #30

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airville View Post
You have had lots of advice but I have not seen anyone ask whether you are using chain or rope road with a small bit of chain to the anchor.

See post #9:
"FWIW, we also switched to a combination rope/chain rode when we came back to the Chesapeake from Florida... because of the mud. Doesn't take as long to clean the mud out of the links on our 25' of chain leader... than it did when we used all chain."

-Chris

Tags
anchor, chesapeake bay