Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2024, 14:06   #1

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Anchor rope not attached to anything

Seems crazy to me….
Just got 419 Jeanneau

Checked the anchor chain / rope. It looks fine and goes around the windlass but the end is laying at the bottom of the chain locker, not attached to anything
Crazier: I don’t see any anchor point.

Why am not seeing or understanding?
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 14:11   #2

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Anchor rope not attached to anything

I found the same when we bought our boat, took the end of the rope and connected it to a pad eye.

It’s not unusual to find things not maintained properly when someone decides to sell his boat, the onus is on the new owner to check and fix everything, especially critical systems.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 14:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
I found the same when we bought our boat, took the end of the rope and connected it to a pad eye.
No pad eye in locker
Old 04-02-2024, 14:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

The original tie point installed in the locker of my '83 boat was so corroded that it is hardly recognizable. Replacing it is on my list. Of course your boat is *significantly* newer than mine, so I guess Jeanneau forgot or skipped it. Fortunately, that is an easy fix.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 14:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
The original tie point installed in the locker of my '83 boat was so corroded that it is hardly recognizable. Replacing it is on my list. Of course your boat is *significantly* newer than mine, so I guess Jeanneau forgot or skipped it.
I think they might just have forgotten because I just check the boats manual and they mention a clinch in the locker. And it’s not there

[QUOTE= Fortunately, that is an easy fix.[/QUOTE]

How?

Thx!!
Old 04-02-2024, 15:25   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Pad eyes or some such device that secures the bitter-end of a rode should be mounted on the underside of the deck or to a strong bulkhead in a high-up position.
Having the bitter-end constantly buried under a pile of wet nylon/chain is not all that great of an idea.
If all chain, the end of the chain should have enough line attached to it so that if all the chain runs-out there will be line on deck that can in an emergency be cut or have additional line/buoy attached.
Edit; it's a good idea with all chain to have a coil of 50>100' of line held up above the chain, (perhaps on a bulkhead,) and secured with a few Ty-Raps.
If all the chain has to be let go you should have enough for the chain to hit-bottom and still have line attached to it.
Old 04-02-2024, 15:46   #7

Any fastening point within the cable locker is ONLY to prevent the bitter end of the cable from running away from you and going overboard.

Therefore, if your cable runs through a navel pipe fitted in the deck, a simple way to ensure that it won't run wild is to tie a "stopper" such as a "figure eight" knot in the end. In most boats that is likely to be enuff to prevent the bitter end going through the pipe. If it isn't, then tie a monkey fist.

Even when you are at the "end of your rope", i.e. you have all your cable out, the cable MUST be belayed to a samson post or an adequate horn cleat on deck.

Forget about silly little fittings within the cable locker. Surely it is better to take a chance on the cable running wild so you have to go diving for it, than it is to take a chance on having it tear off an inadequate fitting within the cable locker which may do considerable damage in an inaccessible place in the boat.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 16:03   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Forget about silly little fittings within the cable locker. Surely it is better to take a chance on the cable running wild so you have to go diving for it, than it is to take a chance on having it tear off an inadequate fitting within the cable locker which may do considerable damage in an inaccessible place in the boat.

TrentePieds
^ You make a good point that I failed to address.
In my own boat there is a "Massive" fitting, with fasteners/structure to match which, together with lots of line would, (probably,) take that kind of load.
But yes, the bitter-end of chain should not be directly fastened to a fitting, the shock load at the end of the run-out might well tear things apart.
Old 04-02-2024, 16:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I tend to agree with TP above....a chain running out, will likely be doing so lickity split....should it come to a sudden stop, it will be trying to bring a 20,000 lb plus boat to a sudden stop....that better be some substantial anchor fastener inside the chain locker.

I'd certainly consider tying some nylon rode to the end of the chain as a back up...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 17:05   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Just an idea:
Carriage bolt in thru stem with lifting eye in the locker.
https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Stee...8f58564143f215
Old 04-02-2024, 17:36   #11

You lot must be nearly as old as I :-)

Those of us who go way, way back to the woodies would obviously approve a massive eye bolt through the keelson, but any way you slice it, you need to be able to get the bitter end OUT of the locker when that is required, and you need to have assurance that the bitter end will STAY IN the locker when that is required.

In a thirty-footer, and even in a fifty-footer, to get into the locker to handle the bitter end, let alone to do repair work, is a bit of a trick. Therefore in a "frozen snot" toy ship like TP the bitter end should NOT IMO be attached to the hull within the locker. I'd be daft to carry all chain in TP, so most of my cable is three-laid nylon, and I bring my required scope on deck and belay to the cleat at the appropriate point well before I get to my anchoring point. Therefore the end of the cable in the locker is always idle, and no shock is ever imparted to the structure of TP EXCEPT at the cleat. But we have "snubbers" to mitigate that :-)

So, Xavier, you are not missing anything. you just need to develop SOPs that are appropriate for YOUR boat, for YOUR style of handling your boat, and for the waters in which YOU sail. There is no particular merit in doing things the way "everybody else" does them, and you don't get "brownie points" for doing that :-)

Cheers

TP.
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 18:04   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I would argue you don't necessarily need to have the bitter end fixed to the boat. As TP says, there can come times when you want to eject the whole thing (rope rode I'm thinking of here at the end of the chain) quickly. If you spray the last 20 or 30 feet or so with bright orange paint you can catch it before you let it all run out, and you have the option of letting it run out if needed without cutting it. I have so much rope on mine I've never come close to the end, and I have mine fixed at the end, but I would not fault anyone who left it free, as long as you know when you are getting close to the end.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:29   #13

That's the way I've learned it a long time ago:
The bitter end of the anchor-chain or rode should only be mounted lightly (so that it can hold the weight of the tackle) and in a way that's easy to loosen in case you need to drop the chain in an emergency. It never should be able to hold the boat itself.

The whole point is to prevent an accidental loss. The safety of the boat depend on the windlass and whatever else you use to secure the chain.

Leaving it loose at the bottom of the pile isn't perfect, but acceptable.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:18   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

the last 10 meters of our chain are painted bright yellow. The bitter end is attached via a soft shackle to an eye in a fiberglass support. I we need to let the chain and anchor go, we simply cut the soft shackle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:36   #15

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have always attached the bitter end of the chain with enough rope to allow the rope to reach the deck where it could be cut with a knife if needed in an emergency. Never attach the chain directly. Make it 20 feet of nylon or so and it would provide significant shock absorption if the chain were ever to run out all the way for some reason, but in all my boats even when carrying 300 feet of chain I had it backed up with a couple hundred feet of nylon in anticipation of really deep anchoring that I've never had to do! Frankly, I think most of us carry way too much chain (and weight) for our typical cruising grounds.

Tags
anchor, rope