Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 04:45   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious
HR is shifting to Yanmar engines. My HR 40 has a 4JH4E.

Why do you discount teak decks? I absolutely love mine. Of course different tastes is what makes a market.
I also love my teak decks. My boat is 22 years old and they are still in great shape. I think the key is let them gray naturally and never scrub them - use a mop instead. If I was the type that had to have the oiled look for my decks, I would probably come to dislike them as well. It would be a never ending battle to keep that oiled brown look.
slow shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 19:19   #17

Boat: gozzard 44
Fritz,
One more before you leave, the Gozzard 44. Since 2001 the Gozzard hulls have been redesigned for greater performance, the keel more fin than full resulting in less wetted surface, semi-balanced rudder and taller rigs for more sail area.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Ronbo1,
Are you coming to the show?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2006, 20:29   #19

Fritz,

I would't discount the Cabo Rico due to its production location. Some research on your part will show a very high regard to quality, teams of artisans involved for decades, the wood items, teak and others, are locally grown by Cabo Rico for their exclusive use.

There are reasons this boat company is highly regarded and award winning.
Contact Frazier Smith, owner , in FT Lauderdale.

Good luck.

Grant
gharr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 22:32   #20

Boat: Westsail 32
Fritz,

Any update on your research into potential boats?

On the same note, I've noticed you've mentioned a lot about displacement ratios and have even specified a range in which your future boat lies. I have not, however, read anything about your experience aboard these different boats.

With a grain of salt, I suggest that, instead of ruling out boats who's theory don't fit your formula, you go out of your way to spend time on any boat you can get your feet on. All of these numbers people know are great trivia, but in the end, its what you decide you like most. Further, you might find you like teak decks after working on them, and that's all the justification you need for having it.

That said, to each his own and I commend you for your thorough researching of potential boats.

Keep your quarter shady,
Aaron N.

ps - I love teak decks. It's fun to poke at the caulking and count the grains by braille on watches.
blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 04:53   #21

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
any updates??
bottleinamessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 10:53   #22

Where I Am

In response to your question, I'm pretty sold on the Valiant 42. I visited their factory in Texas two weeks ago, where they have two very nice used boats in the water (very little use, well equipped, etc.). I requested a quote from Valiant to have the factory do about $20,000 in upgrades/maintenance on one of them. I expect to make an offer soon.

My wife and I are going to Mexico for two weeks, starting this Saturday, during which I'll try to temporarily put boats out of my mind.

Otherwise I continue to plan my Latin American cruise, which tentatively begins November 2007.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:01   #23

So what was the outcome of the visits
Any opinions of the Caliber and Valiants?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I spoke with Frtiz a long while back after I met him at the Annapolis show. He got a deal at the factory in Texas on a Valiant. At the time the Caliber's were a pretty good dollar value. He had issues with headroom that really knock him out of a lot of other boats - as in the top of his head. Persons over 6 feet 3 inches have a lot harder time finding a boat with headroom and a berth that fits. You really have to have those features else the boat will be a very poor choice no matter how much you like it, pay for it, or think how great it is. People can have deal breaking requirements not that common to others. Being extra tall is a serious issue you can't ignore. Getting a deal that is affordable is the other factor. When you are looking at new Water boats">blue water boats the term "deal" and "affordable" are only relative to a whole lot of money.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 13:33   #25

so true
did both boats have headroom?
Old 07-09-2007, 14:25   #26

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
My boat is in Deltaville Va now and I would like to sail to Annapolis for the boat show, can I anchor or get a mooring close by ??? As I expect all docks at marinas to be full,I am in Canada now but will drive to Deltaville on Monday as it looks like a blow could be coming . Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 16:46   #27

You can go up spa creek and anchor if you arrive early but all the town moorings are ususally taken well in advance. Bring 2 anchors and prepare to use short scope!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show