Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2006, 13:02   #1

Annapolis Boat Show/Recommendations

My wife and I will arrive in Annapolis on October 4th and depart October 10th. I'm very seriously shopping for a boat that I'd like to buy by no later than March 31, 2007. I am particularly interested in the following two boats:

Valiant 42
Caliber 40 LRC

I've had numerous discussions and e-mail correspondence with a Valiant dealer and with one of the owners of Caliber Yachts. Since I've searched and read everything written about these two boats on three bulletin boards (including this one), read all available reviews and carefully reviewed their construction methds, I'm not looking for further input on them (except from owners of these specific models).

What I would appreciate is recommendations on other serious offshore cruisers in this length range with Disp/LWL ratios in the 250 to 280 range (mid to high end of moderate displacement).

I've already excluded Pacific Seacraft and Island Packet, which have higher ratios anyway, from consideration. I'm not interested in these two for very strongly-felt but different reasons, whch I'd rather not explain, because I don't want to offend anyone.

All recommendations will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Fritz
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 18:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
At the annapolis show a trip down "I" dock would be appropriate. Lots to look at.

I'll be there Friday morning. If you don't want to pay the extra for Thurday, Friday before lunch time isn't hideously crowded. There after it's shoulder to shoulder.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 20:58   #3

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
Try these:
Contest 45CS dlr 260
Najad 440 (I'd go with the aft cockpit) dlr 245
Hallberg Rassy 43 dlr 286
Hylas 49 dlr 254
Malo 46 dlr 272

All of the above made my mono hull short list.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 20:59   #4

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Fritz. Not sure where you live, but a short trip to the Valiant factory in Gordonsville, Texas (about an 1.5 north of Dallas-Fort Worth) is well worth it!

Get a Southwest flight into Love Field for Cheap and rent a car for the day/ You will learn a lot on how the Valiants are put together and how everything is assembled at a first rate semi-custom facility.
Old 30-09-2006, 23:43   #5

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
In addition to those mentioned above I would also look at the Shannon 43, Moody 49 [for a feel for the line then look for a used 44], for something with a little more performance, the Saga 43, all are great cruising boats.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 17:03   #6

Thanks

I appreciate the input. Here is what I've determined, so far:

1) Whereas the Hallberg Rassy appears to be a great boat, it's only available with teak decks, which is something I'd like to avoid.

2) Used Contests in my range are either: out of the country, older than I'd like, or have teak decks.

3) Najad - researching.

4) Hylas - researching.

5) Malo - virtually no used market. (The one that I could find was older than I'd like.)

6) Shannon 43 is of great interest to me, but pricey. Today, I arranged for Shannon Yachts to overnight more detailed specifications. (Their Web site doesn't give as much detailed info as most manufacturers do.) This appears to be a boat that a person could easily love.

7) Used Moodys in my range are either out of the country or older than I'd like.

Thanks again for the input.

Fritz
Old 03-10-2006, 03:52   #7

Boat: Liberty 458
Take a look at Cabo Rico yachts. They were recently named one of the top ten ultimate blue water yachts by Sail magazine. Some friends of ours told us about them and they seem well constructed.
Saildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:07   #8

Fritz if they are not out of the price range also add Passports and possibly tayana [new] to the list.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11   #9

Cabo Rico, Tayana, Passport & Hallberg-Rassy

Thanks for the input. The following are my feelings about each boat manufacturer mentioned -- and further thoughts on the Hallberg-Rassy line:

Cabo Rico - I just looked at their 38 while I was in California the week before last. It's an absolutely beautiful boat with one of the nicest decks I've ever seen. (I love the wide side decks with their high gunwales.) However, the CR line is heavier than I'd like. (The 42 has a disp/LWL of 357.). Also, I just don't know if I want a boat that comes out of a Costa Rican factory.

Tayana - A highly-respected boat, but teak decks and way too heavy for me -- even though a dealer, whom I greatly respect, told me that, if he could choose any boat (his dream boat), it would be a Tayana 48. Also, whereas I've personally had good look with an Asian boat before, this time around I'd like to go with a boat built in the west (Europe or the United States), preferably built on the east coast of the US, where boaters seem to be more discriminating buyers.

Passport - This name keeps coming up, but I know nothing about them. If they're still being manufactured, I'll tour their boats in Annapolis, and get their spec sheet and equipment list.

Last night, I re-read everything that I could find online about Hallberg-Rassy boats, and (not withstanding their teak decks) I really like them. This is the only (more) modern keel boat that I'm seriously considering -- largely because of Jeff H's insightful comments on this board, which have steadily moved me down the weight scale. I've been carefully reading all of his posts, as well as all rebuttals to them. The net result is that more and more I'm remembering my old days (Mason 33) of too much motoring. Also, yesterday, I talked with a broker who has a listing for a late-model HR 40 in Seattle and a relatively older one in Annapolis. This broker further piqued my interest in the Hallberg-Rassy line. The big question to me regarding these Swedish boats is the resaleability of them, since almost all of the used ones are in Europe or the Eastern Mediterranean.

Thanks again,

Fritz
Old 03-10-2006, 11:35   #10

Boat: Liberty 458
HR has a worldwide reputation. I don't know that I would be too concerned about resale value. If anything - the lack of US based boats drives up the price due to basic supply and demand metrics. As long as you can get your head around a Volvo engine in every one of them, you are good to go! Not saying Volvo is bad - but my sense is that unless you buy a new one and dictate otherwise you will get a Volvo.
Saildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:11   #11

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
HR is shifting to Yanmar engines. My HR 40 has a 4JH4E.

Why do you discount teak decks? I absolutely love mine. Of course different tastes is what makes a market.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:59   #12
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious
Why do you discount teak decks? I absolutely love mine. Of course different tastes is what makes a market.

I don't know about others, but there are two reasons that would cause me to shy away from teak decks. First is the long term maintenance issue, although that is likely one I would discount if I was buying a new boat.

The real reason I would avoid teak decks is tropical sun. Not because of what the sun does to the deck, but what the deck does to bare feet after baking in the sun. Not to mention what it does to the temperature of the interior of the boat.

If my boat was to stay in temperate climates I would love the nonskid utility and appearance of teak decks, but in July in the Sea of Cortez when it is 100F in the shade a white deck gets really important to comfort both on and under the deck.
Old 03-10-2006, 16:00   #13

Saildude

Thank you for a very good point that I didn't know. I'm definately going south, so this is important information to me.

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 03-10-2006, 18:44   #14

Agree on teak decks in the tropics, when we redid the Moody and had to replace the teak decks, the decks became non skid white awlgrip. boat is noticably cooler in the summer even in the states.
Old 03-10-2006, 21:33   #15

Thanks for the input.

My wife and I are flying to Annapolis tomorrow morning.

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show